ISP Throttling

Not all ISP's are complying with Net Neutrality. We need to make sure to keep them in line. There is a tool on battleforthenet.com that will check your connection for degradation.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/

post-231386-0-76483100-1432606332_thumb.

The Internet Health Test is designed to use those interconnections that usually host popular content, such as those from Netflix, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer etc., and uses crowd-sourcing – data from hundreds of customers – to determine whether any violations are being done. In other words, if an ISP turns fine against most nodes, but has problems with a particular one, it’s likely that Net Neutrality is being violated.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-if-your-isp-is-throttling-your-internet-connection/

How does this detect net neutrality violations?

This test focuses on showing whether your ISP’s interconnections with other networks are congested.

These “other networks” are those on which popular content and services are hosted. Interconnection congestion has become an important issue for the Open Internet, as intentional throttling of interconnection on the part of large ISPs is a tactic that has been used to demand payment from popular content and service providers. This practice results in users not having access to content and services that don’t pay -- which results in a non-neutral network and an Internet in which speech and access to content is controlled by the economic interest of big ISPs.

The more data is gathered from these tests (the more times you and your friends run the test) the more Battle For the Net and other Net Neutrality advocates will be able to identify interconnection congestion, and work to stop your ISP from throttling your access to content and services hosted off of their network.

battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/

What you can do about it.

By contributing performance information through the Internet Health Test, you have already helped call attention to how interconnection affects broadband access. While this doesn’t fix problems immediately, this is a big step toward real accountability and change.

A single test may not definitely prove that a specific interconnection issue or business dispute exists, but the more data collected from different Internet users and different locations, the more advocates can demonstrate disruptions of broadband access, call attention to negative behavior, and push for change. To do this, we need data from many users over a long time period during different hours of the day. This is how you help hold ISPs accountable.

If you’d like to follow the data, you can see M-Lab’s aggregations at http://www.measurementlab.net/observatory (site is US-only, for now).

You can also sign up for our alerts and follow us as we use your data and others’ to push for change: www.fightforthefuture.org and www.freepress.net.

(You can, of course, also call your ISP and complain. But one of the reasons we’re here is that that tactic hasn’t worked so well for consumers in the past.)

battleforthenet.com/internethealthtest/

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/internet-health-test-aims-tell-isp-violating-net-191619922.html

I tried the health test and got throttled insanely bad by Comcast that it would not even run Step 3. I can continue to watch my twitch stream but whatever was on step 3 would not go.

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled

I ran the health test and got throttled pretty bad by Comshits, supposed to get 50/10 got 45,39,22,and than 12 for download speeds.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

For some reason, I passed, but when I watch hbonow, it's so incredibly slow. I can't tell if this one is getting trottled or if it's just a bad website. I'm on comcast.

I wish we could go back to the days before the internet turned to sh*t

Quite honestly I wish we could go back to the day where there was no internet.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Hey, Charter throttles me still...

Nice 3Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up..

85a9b8c20d1898ffcdc7345735392da0.png

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Quite honestly I wish we could go back to the day where there was no internet.

WAYY TOO FAR BACK, Internet is awesome but has turned to crap in the past decade

Took the test--I am getting exactly what I pay for on all 5 tests O.o   Way to go Brighthouse for not being a throttling arse like Comcast was!

Those moments when you wished you lived in pre-internet times

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

no idea. if that's megabytes per second its bang on. if its megabits... than that's some serious throttling. Than again, I'm in Canada, so my test isn't relevant. ISP is Vianet.

post-62868-0-08984300-1432608847.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

8rspgFv.png

Not so bad but it does get worse when everyone is off work.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

no idea. if that's megabytes per second its bang on. if its megabits... than that's some serious throttling. Than again, I'm in Canada, so my test isn't relevant. ISP is Vianet.

That's megabits. Mb=Megabits, MB=Megabytes.

That's megabits. Mb=Megabits, MB=Megabytes.

people tend to screw it up with typo's, that's why I wasn't going to assume.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Damn feel bad for everyone who is getting throttled, thank God ISPs are at least semi reasonable here in the UK  :rolleyes:

oDyAXpF.png

ppmLSnr.png

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

this is good. Everyone should do the test, it only takes a few minutes. Im interested to see what happens when they release the overall results 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

These are my results.

post-7355-0-31019900-1432612119.jpg

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Why do some people have multiple steps? I got reasonable results but only one Step.

No idea. First time I've heard of the site and used it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Why do some people have multiple steps? I got reasonable results but only one Step.

On the site it says 

Xgdxm46.png

So I live in the UK so I only get 1 test, and different areas get different amounts of tests

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

The test says my location is "Accra". Google says that is the capital of Ghana. When I google "My Location" it correctly comes up with my city in North Carolina. I can't do more than Step 1 because of this... 

Also, we're paying for TWC's 30 Down, 5 Up plan, and this test only shows around 20 down and 3 up. 

Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering @ Oakland University

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Professional Counter-Strike - Starbucks Barista 

I wish we could go back to the days before the internet turned to sh*t

Not me, I don't miss the screams of a modem dialing up.

I got through all the steps. Surprisingly the 2nd step got a higher speed than the first, with only a very minor downgrade (like, .10 less) on each subsequent step, with Century Link. While listening to music from https://toxictom.bandcamp.com/album/new-evidence

interesting.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs