Add-in-Board market up in Q1, NVIDIA increases dGPU market share lead

BiG StroOnZ
Quarter-to-quarter AIBs shipments increased 8%, and 19% year-to-year

141nsw4.jpg

The quarter in general
  • JPR found that AIB shipments during the quarter behaved according to past years with regard to seasonality, but the increase was less than the 10-year average. AIB shipments decreased -8.79% from the last quarter (the 10-year average is -3.5%).
  • Total AIB shipments decreased this quarter to 11.3 million units from last quarter.
  • AMD’s quarter-to-quarter total desktop AIB unit shipments decreased -14.6% .
  • Nvidia’s quarter-to-quarter unit shipments decreased -7.0% · Nvidia continues to hold a dominant market share position at 77.5% .
  • Figures for the other suppliers were flat to declining.
  • The change from year to year decreased -19.4% compared to last year.

Source: http://jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report

To put that in perspective, of every 40 graphics cards sold in Q1 2015, 31 were NVIDIA and only 9 were AMD. Doesn't seem too surprising here folks, NVIDIA continues to release new products, while AMD holds back onto their new lineup and continually pushes out old inventory. Not like that was a surprise, Lisa Su herself stated that they had way too much inventory and they needed to get rid of it before they launched their new products. The question here is, when Lisa? How much longer? How much longer does the market need to wait before it gets new products from AMD. We have been hearing of nothing but hype over this Fiji card with HBM, but only starting to see glimpses of it now. Is NVIDIA really going to launch the 980 Ti to market before you get any 300 series products out the door or any Fiji products with HBM out the door? Isn't this just going to further hurt your market share if everyone who was planning to buy Fiji instead jumps ship on a 980 Ti? Time holds the truth, but I'm afraid for AMD they do not have all the time in the world left as they think they do.

Who is Matrox? Should the company that pays me to defend them, Nvidia, be worried?

People want things that are new, not old. It would be nice to see something like this after AMD actually releases their cards.

Who is Matrox? Should the company that pays me to defend them, Nvidia, be worried?

I don't think they've been around for a while. My dad knew of them, and they used to be the first company he thought of when I mentioned graphics cards. I think there's still a few old things from Matrox on Newegg, though. Let me check.

Edit: Here you are: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814106051&cm_re=Matrox-_-14-106-051-_-ProductIt's a server thingy, though.

So, no, you shouldn't be worried. ;)

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Why is S3 in the stats if they have 0% share? It's like saying "Yeah, let's put Audi in there".

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I don't think they've been around for a while. My dad knew of them, and they used to be the first company he thought of when I mentioned graphics cards. I think there's still a few old things from Matrox on Newegg, though. Let me check.

Edit: Here you are: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814106051&cm_re=Matrox-_-14-106-051-_-ProductIt's a server thingy, though.

Was saying what I said to be a joke, ha.

Why should a King be worried of peasants ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Was saying what I said to be a joke, ha.

:( I went to all the trouble, too.

:P

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Their market share increased while their shipments went down. Nvidia is really rolling in that dough

They deserve it. Nvidia is constantly releasing new stuff while AMD sits on their asses for 2 years.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Did this not take into account that most of AMD's cards are just rebadged older cards?

When was the last time they actually released something that was actually new?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did this not take into account that most of AMD's cards are just rebadged older cards?

When was the last time they actually released something that was actually new?

The 285?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The 285?

But is that actually a new chip in there, or just a new configuration of older hardware (like, if Nvidia were to offer an 8gb 970 that actually had a full 8gb of GDDR5)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But is that actually a new chip in there, or just a new configuration of older hardware (like, if Nvidia were to offer an 8gb 970 that actually had a full 8gb of GDDR5)

The 285 is an all new 2048 core GPU, some deactivated to have 1792 left

It's a new GPU that has the same amount of cores as 280X in its full config, its got the same amount of cores as a 280 right now

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

perfrel_1920.gifperfdollar_1920.gif

When people say AMD is uncompetitive i just sort of shrug it off,

people are more interested in new cards than how the cards actually perform

but the numbers don't lie, It seems AMD was holding for 20nm and that's bust now

anyone want to make bets on when we'll see the next new GPU node, released

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

So, no, you shouldn't be worried. ;)

I still have a Matrox card in my old PC. It's got 4 MB of memory and ran Half Life like a champ.  :D

They used to be big in visualisation/ CAD/ professional imaging/ video creation professional markets.

I think Samsung acquired them and they've been disappearing ever since. They probably just wanted some patent of theirs anyway.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

AMD Market share......:/ Thanks Nvidia.......go back to Fermi style please(Raw Power)?. No matter what I will not use Maxwell and Kepler because I want raw power, not some Shadowplay feature or a card that cares about power consumption over performance.

bNqJYgA.png

AMD....hope you'll make a comeback.

@Unlikelyjoker

They used to be big in visualisation/ CAD/ professional imaging/ video creation professional markets.

I think Samsung acquired them and they've been disappearing ever since. They probably just wanted some patent of theirs anyway.

I remember when their gaming cards were awesome. Nexus the Jupiter incident had a massive matrox splash screen the way we have NVIDIA The way It's meant to be played.

You can also still buy their graphics cards, although almost nothing has changed in the last 10 years. They still supply cards that are mostly for driving loads of monitors, even before Eyefinity and NV Surround was a thing. Along with the Matrox Triple head2go and other products are still being sold.

It's still mostly enterprise solutions, such a pity they and S3 fell out of the 3D gaming performance race.

The S3 Savage 4 32MB was the very first GPU I ever bought myself at the age of 12. :D

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Wow that's bad, RiP AMD if they don't do soemthong about this. At the very least when/if AMD goes out a new, hopefully much better company will step in.