Graphics card and CPU advice

Go to solution Solved by CalumGiff,

I'm building a new rig soon and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/an opinion on GPU and CPU choice.

The current build I am planning involves an i7-4790k and an MSI GTX980. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/X4vKQ7

What do you think of the price to performance difference between an i5-4690k and an i7-4790k?

What do you think of the price to performance difference between an MSI GTX 970 and an MSI GTX 980?

Is the extra money I am thinking of spending worth it to "future-proof" my build more?

Or am I wasting my money for not much of a boost in performance?

At the moment it's around a £300 increase to get the i7 980 over the i5 970.

Should I get a different combination e.g. i5 980? 

Any advice or opinions will be appreciated!

Edit: Whilst I'm here, does the 360mm AIO seem overkill? Should i just get a 240mm or 280mm instead?

there is next to no difference in performance between the 4690k and the 4790k when gaming and in general use, But if you want to use ur rig for other things like editing etc then the i7 would make sense. If you are running at resolutions over 1440p or even at 1440p then i would go for 980 and the i5

I'm building a new rig soon and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/an opinion on GPU and CPU choice.

The current build I am planning involves an i7-4790k and an MSI GTX980. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/X4vKQ7

What do you think of the price to performance difference between an i5-4690k and an i7-4790k?

What do you think of the price to performance difference between an MSI GTX 970 and an MSI GTX 980?

Is the extra money I am thinking of spending worth it to "future-proof" my build more?

Edit: Whilst I'm here, does the 360mm AIO seem overkill? Should i just get a 240mm or 280mm instead?

Rig to be used for gaming at 1440p and then maybe 4k in a few years if I can afford to add a second GPU.

Thanks for the advice guys: general consensus seems to be that i7 is overkill for gaming but 980 is nice if you have the cash. 

Any advice on the watercooling issue?

The 4790k is only worth getting when the extra threads are needed. The 4690k is almost always the better value. 

Similar dealio with the 980. It's only really worth getting if you need the extra power or just have money to blow.

Spending more for future proofing is almost always worse than spending what you need and putting the extra money towards a sooner upgrade. 

Edit: No need to make multiple threads for the same build--merged threads.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4690k -> 4790k is not a massive difference for gaming - if you are looking for price:performance, I would opt for the 4690k

Just a word of warning, I wouldn't get the 840 Evo due to it's quite recent and unfixable (properly) NAND issues where the drives slowdown considerably. Spend a few quid more for a better one

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

there is next to no difference in performance between the 4690k and the 4790k when gaming and in general use, But if you want to use ur rig for other things like editing etc then the i7 would make sense. If you are running at resolutions over 1440p or even at 1440p then i would go for 980 and the i5

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

Sorry, I thought that I should post about watercooling questions in the watercooling forum.

The 4790k is only worth getting when the extra threads are needed. The 4690k is almost always the better value. 

Similar dealio with the 980. It's only really worth getting if you need the extra power or just have money to blow.

Spending more for future proofing is almost always worse than spending what you need and putting the extra money towards a sooner upgrade. 

Edit: No need to make multiple threads for the same build--merged threads.

Sorry, I thought that I should post about watercooling questions in the watercooling forum.

If you're planning a new system, there's no point making a mess of several threads when it can be planned as a whole in New Builds and Planning.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Honestly a card as low as the 280X will be able to get good frame rates of 60fps at 1080p with relatively high settings on games. Unless you plan on getting into 1440p or 4K it makes very little sense to go out and get a 980 when a card that costs under £200 would suffice for gaming.

Also you don't need a i7 unless your doing multi threaded tasks on the side.