I want to rent out my server.

rtpb5642

Hi, I've done Minecraft hosting (for myself and friends not on large scale or anything crazy) for 4 years now, and honestly your internet is shit. Your specs look okay but you might want to do some research on how other major hosts do it. You'll also be competing with all of those hosts so unless your price is like $3/mo with better internet among many other things I wish you luck dude. Do what the post above me by DanTheMuffinMan said. Experience is key with this stuff. Host your own MC server for a while and then try and get stuff moving. 

P.S. Your ISP won't like you running a business from your home connection. My guess is that you have Comcast/Xfinity. You would need to upgrade to Business Class (Lost more money) and get multiple IPs (more money). But, I still wish you luck with this adventure. It's not bad for a 15 year old honestly. I wish I had this stuff like 4 years ago when I started my Minecraft hosting endeavor. 

Im in canada and my ISP doesent give a crap what i do, they dont even know the difference between megabit and megabyte. Thanks i will just keep it to friends :) 

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Yeah, good point, as soon as you're using your internet connection for a commercial operation you'll have to switch to commercial internet, MAJOR hassle. And very damn expensive, it's probably better in Toronto, but even an A-DSL business connection can run you hundreds of dollars a month in my area.

Where do you live? Toronto, in the city would probably be okay but it is a freeking b**** to setup. I live in Boston, it's an extra $150 for just one IP and slightly better service. I don't know where OP lives but it would probably not be fun to set up.

Im in canada and my ISP doesent give a crap what i do, they dont even know the difference between megabit and megabyte. Thanks i will just keep it to friends :)

What's your ISP?

~FRED

Where do you live? Toronto, in the city would probably be okay but it is a freeking b**** to setup. I live in Boston, it's an extra $150 for just one IP and slightly better service. I don't know where OP lives but it would probably not be fun to set up.

75$ for 150/10 soon 175/175 for 90$ a month both unlimited cap, static ip included.

What's your ISP?

Rogers, they messed up my bill once (by a few hundred $) so i got business internet out of them

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

Why are you bashing this kid? He is obviously talented and is driven in what he is doing. Obviously have visions and are willing to learn, give him good advises instead of being rude in your comments.

Perhaps it's better to do it for free, but if there are friends at school or in the family who are willing to pay, just go for it. There is nothing wrong with making a couple of bucks that helps funding your interests...  :lol:

Why are you bashing this kid? He is obviously talented and is driven in what he is doing. Obviously have visions and are willing to learn, give him good advise instead of being rude in your comments.

Perhaps it's better to do it for free, but if there are friends at school ore in the family who are willing to pay, just go for it. There is nothing wrong with making a couple of bucks that helps funding your interests...  :lol:

Not trying to make a mint here just saving up for an X99 build :P and every $ counts.

So far got 3 friends interested, mostly for fun and experience though.

75$ for 150/10 soon 175/175 for 90$ a month both unlimited cap, static ip included.

Now that's a good package, wish we had fiber down here

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Why are you bashing this kid? He is obviously talented and is driven in what he is doing. Obviously have visions and are willing to learn, give him good advise instead of being rude in your comments.

talented and driven? Possibly..

but like someone else said, no one wants to do business with such an obnoxious person. At 15 it's virtually impossible to be an "expert" and if he is, why not just go get every cert in the business and get hired and do this for a job.

Perhaps it's better to do it for free, but if there are friends at school ore in the family who are willing to pay, just go for it. There is nothing wrong with making a couple of bucks that helps funding your interests...  :lol:

I agree. No need to hate on him. 

Rogers, they messed up my bill once (by a few hundred $) so i got business internet out of them 

HAHA. Sorry, I hate all Canadian ISPs but yeah. Good job on Buissness though. 

~FRED

but like someone else said, no one wants to do business with such an obnoxious person. At 15 it's virtually impossible to be an "expert" and if he is, why not just go get every cert in the business and get hired and do this for a job.

I dont do social networking i read and learn because i am interested and i may have sounded obnoxious but i was offended as people did not think much of my nework.

Now that's a good package, wish we had fiber down here

Ikr!

When you are 15 you are the expert "by nature"  B)

He responds in the same attitude many of you give him in your posts. He never stated that he was going to start a legit business and offer grade A service, just that he wanted to do some minor hosting and make a buck or two. If his "costumers" now what the are paying for, whats the hassle?

I dont do social networking

Sorry to burst your bubble but this industry is VERY socially driven. If you are a networking expert I'd love to see a packet tracer setup of your network layout. That would be cool

Sorry to burst your bubble but this industry is VERY socially driven. If you are a networking expert I'd love to see a packet tracer setup of your network layout. That would be cool

I will post that sometime, when i say i dont do social networking i mean im not waisting my life on facebook and instagram like most teenagers.

Oops meant raid 1 lol.

I get 3 hours on the UPS battery

The web gui is on port 80 and my network is unresponsive to pings. traffic management is next on my list :)

This isn't the most secure way you think it is.

Give me 15 minutes and I can guarantee you i'd be laughing at the security.

Seriously though, being cocky about stuff like this really isn't the way to go. Working in a corporate environment myself, if any sort of manager or even service officer saw the way you have presented anything you would honestly be laughed at (I apologize for how harsh this sounds).

I encourage you to continue learning as you seem to have quite a lot of knowledge for someone your age, but whilst learning the technical skills something else to learn and practice is your professional approach towards everything. Go into everything with the idea that you know nothing so you can take as much out of every situation you can.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Not trying to make a mint here just saving up for an X99 build :P and every $ counts.

So far got 3 friends interested, mostly for fun and experience though.

Let's do some math here,

Your expenses are

Internet - $90/month (when you upgrade)

Electricity - Toronto Hydro averages $0.11/kwh so assuming your machine is running at 300 watts / hour you're looking approximately $24/month

You want to charge people $5 a month to use your single server

You'd be spending around $114+ tax a month for these services therefore you'd need at least 26 clients to break even. This doesn't include cost of hardware.

With the specs you listed you'd probably need more than 1 server to maintain that many clients therefore operating costs goes up as power consumption and hardware requirement goes up. Also at 26 clients your 175 upload might not be able to handle the potential traffic  load.   This does not include personal use by either you or other members of your family if they use the internet. 

This is an excellent opportunity to learn and gain personal experience. but you're biting off more than you can chew.  You're going to run low on resources real quick.

Unless of course, your parents are forking over the operating cost (internet and electricity bill). Then money you make from "clients" is pure profit. Unless you are helping them pay the bill. 

You can technically start small with 5-10 clients then move onto co-location services like Peer1 or Allstream. But that costs money.  If your goal is to do this to save money for a X99 system. you're going to be spending more money on maintaining the services than actually saving up. 

If it's just for fun and experimenting then you're not going to get serious business.

Marketing word of mouth to your friends and family would be the best way to start. The further away your clients are from you the slower their connection is to your server. Keep that in mind.

Let's do some math here,

Your expenses are

Internet - $90/month (when you upgrade)

Electricity - Toronto Hydro averages $0.11/kwh so assuming your machine is running at 300 watts / hour you're looking approximately $24/month

You want to charge people $5 a month to use your single server

You'd be spending around $114+ tax a month for these services therefore you'd need at least 26 clients to break even. This doesn't include cost of hardware.

With the specs you listed you'd probably need more than 1 server to maintain that many clients therefore operating costs goes up as power consumption and hardware requirement goes up. Also at 26 clients your 175 upload might not be able to handle the potential traffic load. This does not include personal use by either you or other members of your family if they use the internet.

This is an excellent opportunity to learn and gain personal experience. but you're biting off more than you can chew. You're going to run low on resources real quick.

Unless of course, your parents are forking over the operating cost (internet and electricity bill). Then money you make from "clients" is pure profit. Unless you are helping them pay the bill.

You can technically start small with 5-10 clients then move onto co-location services like Peer1 or Allstream. But that costs money. If your goal is to do this to save money for a X99 system. you're going to be spending more money on maintaining the services than actually saving up.

If it's just for fun and experimenting then you're not going to get serious business.

Marketing word of mouth to your friends and family would be the best way to start. The further away your clients are from you the slower their connection is to your server. Keep that in mind.

Im starting with friends, i dont pay a dime for operating costs the eqipment runs for home security anyway. The goal of this thread was not to start a business nor is that my intention, i do garden care for many people, thats my main source of $.

Im starting with friends, i dont pay a dime for operating costs the eqipment runs for home security anyway. The goal of this thread was not to start a business nor is that my intention, i do garden care for many people, thats my main source of $.

Ether people have blowen this out of proportion or like we're all very confused. if you just want to host for a few friends don't even worry about it. Honestly just start working with Spigot (new bukkit) and learn from there. Don't over think this too much. Host for a few friends. Learn and understand Spigot and plugins and Minecraft Server Community then start hosting. 

~FRED

Programming is in a different field than the upper-level IT involved with server management.

RHEL have licenses and IIRC those are tied to accounts with them, so you can't just trade copies around like that. The whole reason RHEL costs money is because of its customer support. So I dunno how exactly that's supposed to be working for you.

Also, what kind of ignorant choice of a CPU is a 4670K? People don't even recommend that for anything anymore with Devil's Canyon, let alone for a server chip! If I were you I'd look at low-power Pentiums and Core i5s at the very least, or better yet get an Atom SoC or a Xeon chip. Just a thought.

have a 4670k already im not buying just for the server im not stupid. xeons are better duh. The 4670k is way bettee than low power pentiums. are u swriously suggesting a SOC?? Your ignorant.

I have a RHEL lisence. Ik someone who works at red hat and his son is a friend of mine.

Ether people have blowen this out of proportion or like we're all very confused. if you just want to host for a few friends don't even worry about it. Honestly just start working with Spigot (new bukkit) and learn from there. Don't over think this too much. Host for a few friends. Learn and understand Spigot and plugins and Minecraft Server Community then start hosting.

Agreed

This is what I did and made about $400/month on (from rent and Minecraft donations). I have a server I bought off ebay. It's a Dell Poweredge 6950, four quadcore cpus and 64gb ram. I ran VMware ESXI on it and I rented servers to my friends and family. I hosted websites and email servers for people. All this I did with a 100/100 mbit link. I co-located , meaning I had my server in a data center where I had to go and repair it if it needed. Luckily it was only 30 minutes south of me in Germantown, Wisconsin. Now I started with my old rig being a corei7 950 with 16gb ram and that was a dedicated minecraft/webserver on windows 7 on a 70/5 internet connection. I then snagged that server off ebay for $300/shipped upgraded from dual cores and 16gb. More recently I added a Dell Poweredge 1950 to the mix to be my primary mail server and web server. I shut down operations when I joined the Air force, but from starting small I learned all sorts of ways to do things. There's a lot more to this than I mentioned, but I can answer questions. I didn't make the $400/month instantly I believe the first monetary gain was $20 after a month. I only reached 400 after a year and the cost for power and internet (co-location) was $50.

Heres the deal.

1. If you do not clarify at the beginning of a post like this that you are essentially "running a server for friends and might take donations" you will get slammed with posts saying you shouldn't.  Because, you SHOULD NOT run a server business from home. Ever. Donations, clan dues, friends, etc etc is different and just fine IMO. 

2. recognize that people do not understand how much work this takes. Be sure to have your friends know for sure (maybe sign a form) that you will only work on support problems between xx and xx hours on xx days of the week. This is so they do not expect immediate support and get angry when it takes a day or so to fix something up.

3. Make them sign a form saying you are not liable for any data loss or corruption or downtime. Because until you are on a fully redundant system using up to date server-grade components - you cannot promise that. This is so you don't get sued when someone looses their website. 

That said, go for it. 10Mbps upload and your current CPU isn't much for multiple servers, but it can be done.

Source: I have run multiple servers from my home for friends/family/clan for 10 years+ 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I agree go for it... I am a Network Engineer and I would never run servers from home as a business venture. On the flip side I run numerous servers and systems as a home lab and love it. For learning I have found no better incentive to fix problems than my wife mentioning to me that her internet is broken.

I started as a teen over 20 years ago messing with this stuff at home, it's a great method to learn and expand your knowledge. I will however agree with other advice given, the worst problems I have ever dealt with were when I was certain about something.

Good Luck!!!

There are Atoms with more cores than that CPU, if you weren't aware.

If we're perfectly fair, our criticisms of your choices and ideas are valid since you opened the thread with the question of "how can I market this thing?" We gave you honest, real answers from both study and experience. If that's not what you're looking for and just want to casually host for friends, then do so and refrain from wasting our time trying to help you out.

I am aware there are atoms with more cores but a 4 core ATOM or SOC will not be better than a 4670k. There is no arguing it. The 4670k beats an atom.

I was looking for advice not attacks.