Are AIOs inherently unreliable? I'm beginning to reconsider...

From what I'm seeing, a lot of AIO's fail. Or, to put it differently, more seem to be failing than I am currently comfortable with. The point of this post is to determine that comfort level. 

I am in the process of returning my Swiftech 240x, a company which I hear has a lot of customer support issues. I've also seen pump issues with Kraken and the Corsair H series. It would seem AIO failure, especially when it comes to the pump, is a fairly regular thing. Am I wrong? Are these AIOs more reliable than I realize?

I lieu of this, I'm beginning to notice that the benefits of water cooling are fairly marginal. No one seems to be overclocking CPUs with the extreme overclocks I reached in the past (i7 2.8ghz --> 4.2ghz, did that approximately 6 years ago on extreme air cooling). Today, it seems going from 4.0 --> 4.6 on a 4790k is a big deal. Ok. Is a AIO really necessary to break the .5hgz overclock barrier? 

AIOs are the new snake oil. They just look better. If you really want to OC you either go for a good air cooler of for a full loop.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

From what I'm seeing, a lot of AIO's fail. Or, to put it differently, more seem to be failing than I am currently comfortable with. The point of this post is to determine that comfort level. 

I am in the process of returning my Swiftech 240x, a company which I hear has a lot of customer support issues. I've also seen pump issues with Kraken and the Corsair H series. It would seem AIO failure, especially when it comes to the pump, is a fairly regular thing. Am I wrong? Are these AIOs more reliable than I realize?

I lieu of this, I'm beginning to notice that the benefits of water cooling are fairly marginal. No one seems to be overclocking CPUs with the extreme overclocks I reached in the past (i7 2.8ghz --> 4.2ghz, did that approximately 6 years ago on extreme air cooling). Today, it seems going from 4.0 --> 4.6 on a 4790k is a big deal. Ok. Is a AIO really necessary to break the .5hgz overclock barrier? 

if your pump fails you're lucky. the worst thing possible is to have a AIO leak on you and kill you graphics card right below it.

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Personally I don't see why anyone goes for water cooling... It's really overrated

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Personally I don't see why anyone goes for water cooling... It's really overrated

Full loop != generic clc.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

So why the hell is this so popular?

Looks. Makes your rig look cleaner. Also ram clearance, etc.

The swiftec coolers are really bad

You hear less issues about corsair and nzxt coolers which sell a magnitude more than the swiftec ones

What issues with the corsair or nzxt coolers are you talking about specifically?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You hear less issues about corsair and nzxt coolers which sell a magnitude more than the swiftec ones

What issues with the corsair or nzxt coolers are you talking about specifically?

From my personal experience, early corsair clcs used to leak. And they still have pump issues.

Not sure about krakens tho.

From my personal experience, early corsair clcs used to leak. And they still have pump issues.

Not sure about krakens tho.

Never heard of a corsair cooler leaking in all my time on this forum

The pump "issues" are people complaining about noise because they dont know how to bleed the air properly

And I have heard of 0 complaints about the kraken cooler except for one about the radiator not fitting in some case and a second about the pump being loud (which it was actually defective this time)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have one of the most known CLC's that are known for pump failure and being noisy, its still working just fine and the pump is silent. Sometimes AIO's can be noisy but its all luck.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

You keep posting this Trash stuff; and never have any proof when someone calls you on it.

Swiftech has had some issue with their gen 1 H220's and H 320's their H220x's  and h240x's do not have the same issues.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

AIOs are the new snake oil. They just look better. If you really want to OC you either go for a good air cooler of for a full loop.

>snakeoil

10172429743l.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Personally, unless looking for aesthetics I would recommend an air cooler. They will likely be in 2-3c tolerances of the AIOs, cheaper and much more quiet comparatively

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Personally, unless looking for aesthetics I would recommend an air cooler. They will likely be in 2-3c tolerances of the AIOs, cheaper and much more quiet comparatively

This only really hold's true for 120mm AIO's 240 and 280 AIO's have a much larger difference that can exceed 10C on overclocked systems.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

This only really hold's true for 120mm AIO's 240 and 280 AIO's have a much larger difference that can exceed 10C on overclocked systems.

True, however these are tested at the highest fan speeds, and AIOs are ridiculously loud at max fan and pump speeds, whereas big coolers such as Cryorig, D15 etc are not nearly as loud at full tilt

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

>snakeoil

Erm...

temp-load.jpg

Also take into account how much a CLC will cost you and the average expected lifetime of such a thing.

True, however these are tested at the highest fan speeds, and AIOs are ridiculously loud at max fan and pump speeds, whereas big coolers such as Cryorig, D15 etc are not nearly as loud at full tilt

True but they have the headroom so you can slow them down to keep them quiet at the same temp as the standard cooler; and then max them out if your wanting to hit an high overclock for a benchmark run or for a really demanding program or game.

if your pump fails you're lucky. the worst thing possible is to have a AIO leak on you and kill you graphics card right below it.

If you get a back-plate it can provide some protection

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

q

Due to the fact that the list I linked is from a more reputable site (OC3D), with a much larger sample size as well as more updated, I'll trust that more.

About the cost, many people like myself care about every degree, and are willing to spend a bit extra.  I don't care how long a cooler lasts, I will most likely replace it if someone better comes out, or go custom loop soon anyways.

My previous air cooler made my case much hotter, resulting in hotter temps all around, so even if it was to perform the same (which it didn't) I would rather a high end AIO.

(Cooler in example was a Cryorig R1 Ultimate)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Erm...

Also take into account how much a CLC will cost you and the average expected lifetime of such a thing.

You realize that the graph he listed had a higher tdp processor. They are probably both right; but if you want to push something really hard your going to max out the potential heat dissipation of even the NH-D15 before most 240mm AIO's.

You keep posting this Trash stuff; and never have any proof when someone calls you on it.

Swiftech has had some issue with their gen 1 H220's and H 320's their H220x's  and h240x's do not have the same issues.

Yeah well I've seen two more H240Xs have cracked/leaking resevoirs as well as another noise complaint since last time you called me out on it

honestly their construction is crap, especially the part where you cant change the resevoir and the pump is permanently stuck to the radiator.

If you don't agree then you can buy yourself all the H240Xs you want, I don't care. I'm just telling people the experiences that others have had with this product so they dont make the same mistake.

Spoiler

To be fair, I am in the process of returning a H240x. When I posted about it, several people suggested that Swiftech has quality issues. 

To be fair, I am in the process of returning a H240x. When I posted about it, several people suggested that Swiftech has quality issues. 

I think a lot is down to luck. I had two Corsair/Asetek AIOs with noisy/dead pumps. While the H220 X is running perfectly now. You can google every company that makes AIO has issue with pumps. With AIO, there are two points of failure. Air cooler will be more reliable in nature. It is up to you to decide whether the risk is worth taking. 

In term of cooling, top air coolers are about as good as AIO. Just some people(like me) can't stand that huge heatsink thing sticking out like a......or some cases have problem to clear tall heatsink.