ULTIMATE Scrapyard/donor Gaming Rig

Decon

Yes, I know, comic sans...

post-117080-0-79478000-1432529233_thumb.

Finally a PC owner/gamer lol

The Goal:

After scrapyard wars was released I issued a sort of challenge to my self: build the best possible gaming rig (yes you read that right: GAMING) for $100 or less out of unwanted parts that people were throwing out.  Yes, it's crazy, I had no idea I'd get as far as I did, but luckily I live in a neighborhood where people were getting rid of pretty "decent" hardware. 

The Hardware:

Now for the exciting stuff (IMO at least)...  After picking up around 4+ old systems and some unwanted parts I had enough parts to assemble what I thought would be a decent system.  Parts are as follows:

CPU: Q8200 @ stock for now; I got this out of an upgraded core 2 duo HP system.

Motherboard(s) HP random 775 motherboard from the HP system I got.  Later I purchased an ASUS P5E deluxe on Ebay for $64.

RAM: 2x4gb DDR2; half OCZ "SLI Ready" and other half Samsung generic.  Got these from the upgraded HP and a Dell respectively.

Cooler/Fans: Xigmatek 1283 with a 140mm NOCTUA FAN! (awww yeah    :D )  Got the Xigmatek from a neighbor who didn't need it (all his stuff's 2011-v3 lol) and the Noctua fan from a neighbor who bought it for a system I built for him; the fan didn't fit however and he never got around to returning it, so he gave it to me    :D.

Storage: 320gb WD "Apple certified" (IDK) 5400rpm HDD.  Got this from an old ~2007 iMac.  Not much but it gets the job done.

GPU(s): Oh yes the exciting part...  First off I'm running "dual" (not SLI/crossfire) GPU's because no integrated graphics (as far as I know) on X48.  Is it really necessary?  No, but I wanted to take the load of driving an auxiliary monitor off my EVGA 750ti (yeah you heard that right; explanation in a second) and instead have my HD5450 drive it.  Also Ubuntu doesn't like outputting from my Geforce card for the setup process; IDK.  Anyway, I got the GTX 750ti for helping that neighbor build his PC.  A few weeks ago I upgraded his GPU to a 960 (pls staph 280 fans; 960 was on sale for 170 on super biiz and cheapest 280 was ~210) and he didn't need his 750ti anymore.  I told him he could just sell it but he said that instead I could have it as "payment" for building and servicing his PC's over the last year or so.  I got the HD 5450 from another old Dell BTW.

Case: This build sat running on an old mobo box for a good 2 weeks; eventually I tried putting it in my Cooler Master Centurion 5, but for whatever reason the standoffs didn't line up so I couldn't do that.  As of this last Saturday, my system resides in a NZXT S340, purchased new at Fry's for $69.99 (yes I know I just exceeded my budget but the case was cosmetic, so I'm not really counting it).

PSU: Got a Cooler Master 550w PSU from that upgraded HP I was talking about earlier.  Not 80+ or anything, but it's non-OEM and reliable.  

Extras:  Lots of extra's lol...  For audio (P5E doesn't have onboard audio) I have an Asus Supreme FXII (came with P5E) and an old SoundBlaster Live from a Dell Dimension 4000 (only used as a gameport adapter for my retro joystick).  On top of that I have some crappy D-Link wireless g adapter ( ._. ) from an ancient (relatively) AMD HP system and sometime later this week a PCIe 1x to internal USB 3.0 header adapter so I can use the front panel USB 3.0 ports.

Initial Validation of Parts Used/Test bench:

Not a ton to say here: everything went smoothly with the exception of the HP mobo not liking new CPU fans.  Hi res (or not, silly iPod camera) pictures inbound:

Test bench running on the HP motherboard and a stock heatsink:

post-117080-0-31859900-1432592784_thumb.

With the Xigmatek 1283 and the 750ti:

post-117080-0-24190500-1432593190_thumb.

Running on the Asus P5E Deluxe:

post-117080-0-75083400-1432592920_thumb.

Build Process:

Again not much to say.  Installing the system in the S340 was a breeze. Too excited to take photos RIP :/

OS and driver installation/mini rant on windows 10 installer:

​Definitely the most tedious part of the build process... First off I tried installing Ubuntu but is was being stupid about not being able to reach the server for "getting additional 32bit libraries" to run steam and was a real pain in the ass, so I switched to windows 10 technical preview. TL:DR installer sucks, setup sucks, and I'm an idiot for installing the 32bit version by accident and then wondering why windows said I only had 3gb ram...  Anyways, I finally got it running and all; decent performance in games I play.  More information on that below though.

Results:

Finished Interior:

post-117080-0-03032500-1432591781_thumb.

Desktop (running Minecraft with ultra shaders):

post-117080-0-56258600-1432591831_thumb.

The only game I really tested was Minecraft (modded of course).  Running over 1gb in texture packs along with ~30 mods and "Ultra" shaders I was getting a constant 40-60 FPS (very surprising considering how taxing ultra shaders are)  Currently I haven't bothered testing anything from my steam library (not too interested in trying to download 10gb+ files over wireless G) 

Future Plans:

This build was a lot of fun for sure.  If I'd stuck with no case and the HP mobo this would have been a $0 budget system, and even if I had gotten the used 750ti free I still could have hovered around the $100 budget point by buying a used 750ti or equivalent on Ebay.  I think it's safe to say "goal accomplished".  If I do anything to the system in the future it will just be adding lightning to the interior and potentially painting some components.

Dem Tags (I probably forgot someone lol, sorry in advance):

@QueenDemetria (special thanks for helping me edit this) @Firearm2112 @vinyldash303 @XVariety @KingCry @tmcclelland445 @Oberon.Smite

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

tumblr_inline_nojz1qY6rt1s0st5u_500.gif

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Damn, how long did this take ya?

Also can you set text to automatic, dark theme it looks unvisible

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Awesome job! I love it!

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Also can you set text to automatic, dark theme it looks invisible

About 3 weeks on and off (mostly waiting for parts)

Also automatic I think... BRB

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

Also can you set text to automatic, dark theme it looks unvisible

Tried setting it to auto; doesn't help :/

tumblr_inline_nojz1qY6rt1s0st5u_500.gif

HEY!  HEY M8!  I'M THE GIF MASTER HERE!

YOU DIDN'T GET MY PERMEATION!

/s

Because he had a hard drive.

HEY!  HEY M8!  I'M THE GIF MASTER HERE!

YOU DIDN'T GET MY PERMEATION!

/s

roundup_06_5.gif

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

inb4spam

No spam just 2edgy

|King Of The Lost|

Wow dude, it's really nice :D

You planning on using the 750Ti for gaming and ATI for extra displays and folding?

Wow dude, it's really nice :D

You planning on using the 750Ti for gaming and ATI for extra displays and folding?

read dat entire build log :P

TL;DR yes 5450 is for extra displays

I'd like to see a few triple A titles run on it, see if it can out-perform a console.

Would be the ultimate middle finger to the console fanboys.

Excellent work OP.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'd like to see a few triple A titles run on it, see if it can out-perform a console.

Would be the ultimate middle finger to the console fanboys.

Excellent work OP.

I know for a fact that it can run battlefield 4 on ultra at 30+ FPS at 1080p on a stock speed G3258 since this used to be in my friend's rig and my rig has a Core 2 quad... So yeah, f*** off console fanboys calling PC gamers "elitists", I built my rig for ~$140 and my games are cheaper...

/rant

I know for a fact that it can run battlefield 4 on ultra at 30+ FPS at 1080p on a stock speed G3258 since this used to be in my friend's rig and my rig has a Core 2 quad... So yeah, f*** off console fanboys calling PC gamers "elitists", I built my rig for ~$140 and my games are cheaper...

/rant

#PeasantsGetRekt

#PeasantsGetRekt

even if I bought the 750ti new it would still have been cheaper than the Xbone

even if I bought the 750ti new it would still have been cheaper than the Xbone

I gotta say, you've got the ultimate "console isn't worth it" build there. Making me wish I hadn't deleted my facebook account so I could show it to the people on there that defend console like it's some kind of god machine.

I gotta say, you've got the ultimate "console isn't worth it" build there. Making me wish I hadn't deleted my facebook account so I could show it to the people on there that defend console like it's some kind of god machine.

Spread the word lol

Wonder if one can get tax exemptions for being a PC evangelist...

Spread the word lol

Wonder if one can get tax exemptions for being a PC evangelist...

Make a "Church of the PCMASTERRACE" website, link it on reddit, and you'll get enough members to qualify lol

Hell, pastasafarians managed to become a recognized religion.

Hell, pastasafarians managed to become a recognized religion.

wtf

wtf

You haven't heard of the church of the flying spaghetti monster?

"Our Pasta, who “Arghh” in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen."