GTA V - Alt-Tabbing Improves Performance?

JaZoN_XD

I have a weird situation with my PC/game that whenever I start up GTA V and I load into the game I would get a constant 30 FPS and occasionally going up into 60 FPS for a second (I have V-sync on) when it should be 60 FPS almost constantly. I have to alt-tab into the desktop and open the game again and after that, I would get the constant 60 FPS. If I alt-tab more times after that, I would get some stuttering (micro-stuttering I guess because it lasts for like a millisecond?). Anyway, this seems like a really strange problem. Does anyone also have this issue or is this a common problem? And can someone enlighten me on why alt-tabbing helps with the performance?

Specs in the signature.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

It always starts in windowed mode for me for some reason.

It may have to do with V-Sync and all that. Try using "ALT+Enter" to switch between Windowed / Borderless / Fullscreen to see if the problem persists.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Same over here.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

It could be due to the fact its in Windowed Borderless.  Try Fullscreen.  Or it could be a driver issue, I know a friend of mine (a couple actually) have been having innumerable problems with the latest Nvidia driver.  

Try reverting your driver back.   

I have to change some setting or Alt tab to get back to 60FPS, if not I get stuttering and 30. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

what are you guyz talking about ? i use borderless window, it works just fine either way, 
EDIT : i have an i7 and 780ti, but i had an 560ti a year ago, alt tabbing never helped anything.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Change it to Fullscreen

Change it to Fullscreen

what he said ^^ the game should run much better in full screen, more than borderless window and especially windowed 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

[deleted]

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

It always starts in windowed mode for me for some reason.

It may have to do with V-Sync and all that. Try using "ALT+Enter" to switch between Windowed / Borderless / Fullscreen to see if the problem persists.

It could be due to the fact its in Windowed Borderless.  Try Fullscreen.  Or it could be a driver issue, I know a friend of mine (a couple actually) have been having innumerable problems with the latest Nvidia driver.  

Try reverting your driver back.   

Change it to Fullscreen

what he said ^^ the game should run much better in full screen, more than borderless window and especially windowed 

I already run fullscreen and I don't have an issue with always starting up in windowed or borderless mode.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I already run fullscreen and I don't have an issue with always starting up in windowed or borderless mode.

Make sure you don't have that v-sync setting to "half" or whatever it is.

ok, when you are on borderless or windowed the refresh rates matches the desktop's refresh rate, when in fullscreen , is your Vsync on or Off ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

ok, when you are on borderless or windowed the refresh rates matches the desktop's refresh rate, when in fullscreen , is your Vsync on or Off ? 

V sync is on, at full 60fps vsync not the 30fps "half" vsync. The problem is not that I never get the 60fps, it's just that after alt-tabbing, everything goes to a almost constant 60fps.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I found out that the vsync in this game is awful.

Just turn it off and u'll have a better life

V sync is on, at full 60fps vsync not the 30fps "half" vsync. The problem is not that I never get the 60fps, it's just that after alt-tabbing, everything goes to a almost constant 60fps.

What you were experiencing was the in-game double buffered Vsync capping your frames to 30 the moment it dropped to a single frame below 60. As it crashed down toward 30, the GPU could catch up, and it would raise the cap back up to 60- until another frame was missed, and then it’s back down to 30. Smooth, judder, smooth, judder, smooth. Repeat over and over until you have a headache.

You should have D3DOverrider running whenever you’re gaming. Force triple buffering and Vsync at all times, and turn off the in-game vsync. Smooth as glass, even if you’re fluctuating between 55 - 60. The only possible downside is a tiny bit of input lag, but it’s preferable the tearing or wild rollercoaster ride back and forth between 30 and 60. 

hence you are getting 60 FPS when alt tabbing and returning it to the game, when you do that, vsync turns itself off most of the time.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

You guys may be running Team Viewer in your taskbar therefore it turnes on in window instead of full screen. TeamViewer does that to a lot of games

I found out that the vsync in this game is awful.

Just turn it off and u'll have a better life

Better.  Life.

Tearing_(simulated).jpg

What you were experiencing was the in-game double buffered Vsync capping your frames to 30 the moment it dropped to a single frame below 60. As it crashed down toward 30, the GPU could catch up, and it would raise the cap back up to 60- until another frame was missed, and then it’s back down to 30. Smooth, judder, smooth, judder, smooth. Repeat over and over until you have a headache.

You should have D3DOverrider running whenever you’re gaming. Force triple buffering and Vsync at all times, and turn off the in-game vsync. Smooth as glass, even if you’re fluctuating between 55 - 60. The only possible downside is a tiny bit of input lag, but it’s preferable the tearing or wild rollercoaster ride back and forth between 30 and 60. 

hence you are getting 60 FPS when alt tabbing and returning it to the game, when you do that, vsync turns itself off most of the time.

When I alt tab, vsync does not turn off because it sits at exactly 60 and 59.9 fps. If i turn off vsync after i alt tab, it will go to 60+ (like 65 or something)

You guys may be running Team Viewer in your taskbar therefore it turnes on in window instead of full screen. TeamViewer does that to a lot of games

what is teamviewer?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

When I alt tab, vsync does not turn off because it sits at exactly 60 and 59.9 fps. If i turn off vsync after i alt tab, it will go to 60+ (like 65 or something)

what is teamviewer?

Its software to connect to your PC remotely, like Remote Desktop. 

Its software to connect to your PC remotely, like Remote Desktop.

Well I don't have that.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

GTA V doesn't support triple buffering which is the issue you are describing

In game vsync is triple buffered

every time i launch the game i have to do an alt-tab and then alt-tab back in. fixes the issue just fine. strange, but doesn't bother me that much.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

Better. Life.

Tearing_(simulated).jpg

It depends, we're talking about FPS issue didn't we?

Think the vsync system on this game only gives u 2 FPS output. 30 or 60. And if u're in the middle of it, u'll get 30 (as far as my experience) even u get around 45-50. It will give u 30 as it's output.

U'll have a lot of different FPS variation depends on many things such as location, views, etc. And if u're below 60 (even 45) u'll have 30 because of that vsync and that is a big problem for me.

I prefer a bit tearing rather than going down below 45 FPS.

That's why i said a better life

Think the vsync system on this game only gives u 2 FPS output. 30 or 60.

No it runs triple buffered thus monitor and GPU run independently.