MXL 990 vs AT2020 (Both XLR)

ItsKolapo

Im currently leaning towards either the MXL 990 or the AT2020 (Both XLR)

I'm looking for a microphone to record voice overs, while playing games like minecraft and rust, and for just talking on Skype. I have been watching videos on both these mics and I don't know which to get. If there are any mics in the same price range that are better please tell me.

Budget is $125
Type: XLR

I'm looking for a microphone to record voice overs, while playing games like minecraft and rust, and for just talking on Skype. I have been watching videos on both these mics and I don't know which to get. If there are any mics in the same price range that are better please tell me.

Budget is $125

Type: XLR

May i ask what what device are you using for plugging in an xlr mic?

May i ask what what device are you using for plugging in an xlr mic?

Right now Im leaning towards a 48v phantom power supply, but considering going with the 

BEHRINGER XENYX 302USB

@vembutech Do you know which is better?

He doesn't know shit. Either microphone will be adequate for the spoken word.

He doesn't know shit. Either microphone will be adequate for the spoken word.

Are there any mics in the $125 price range that are xlr and are better?

why do you want XLR so bad?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

why do you want XLR so bad?

I think they sound better, and plan on getting a mixer in the future and they use XLR.

I think they sound better, and plan on getting a mixer in the future and they use XLR.

You make it sound like you're not getting them at the same time... How do you plan on using the Mic without the mixer?

You make it sound like you're not getting them at the same time... How do you plan on using the Mic without the mixer?

I am getting them at the same time.

Okay good. :)

Do you know which would pick up my keyboard less, if both have a shock mount, around 10 inches from keyboard, and with foam windscreens.

Do you know which would pick up my keyboard less, if both have a shock mount, around 10 inches from keyboard, and with foam windscreens.

I believe both are quite sensitive.

I believe both are quite sensitive.

Do you know any XLR mics in the $125 that aren't as sensitive.

Do you know any XLR mics in the $125 that aren't as sensitive.

Owning both, I much prefer the sound of my AT2020 any day.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Owning both, I much prefer the sound of my AT2020 any day.

Are there any other XLR mics that are better for the $125? Or is the at2020 best for the buck?

Your best bet is to get a boom arm as well. Get the Mic close to your mouth, and turn the gain way down.

Your best bet is to get a boom arm as well. Get the Mic close to your mouth, and turn the gain way down.

Are there any mics that have a polar pattern that don't pick up any noise from behind.

Are there any mics that have a polar pattern that don't pick up any noise from behind.

Nope, every polar pattern will pickup from behind the capsule to some degree. Cardioid is your best bet, standard for desktop mics for the most part, don't be fooled by the names supercardioid or hypercardioid, these actually pick up more from behind than regular ol' cardioid, but they have their uses (just not here).

Other mic that's 'bang for the buck' around $125? Not sure, I'd say check out the Yeti's, but I've never owned one. There are certainly lots of mics within that range, but not many are used by the gaming/streaming community imo. I've used SM58's, 57's etc... What interface are you using?

If you go with either the 990 or the AT2020, make sure you get a shockmount.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Nope, every polar pattern will pickup from behind the capsule to some degree. Cardioid is your best bet, standard for desktop mics for the most part, don't be fooled by the names supercardioid or hypercardioid, these actually pick up more from behind than regular ol' cardioid, but they have their uses (just not here).

Other mic that's 'bang for the buck' around $125? Not sure, I'd say check out the Yeti's, but I've never owned one. There are certainly lots of mics within that range, but not many are used by the gaming/streaming community imo. I've used SM58's, 57's etc... What interface are you using?

If you go with either the 990 or the AT2020, make sure you get a shockmount.

I'm getting a shockmount, the MXL 990 comes with and and I will buy one for the at2020.

I'm not into audio so I don't know which one has better specs

AT2020: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a0933a662b5ed0e2/

MXL 990: http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/900-series/990/

I'm getting a shockmount, the MXL 990 comes with and and I will buy one for the at2020.

I'm not into audio so I don't know which one has better specs

AT2020: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a0933a662b5ed0e2/

MXL 990: http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/900-series/990/

They are basically at the same pricepoint. Each has a slightly different tonal quality, google frequency response curves, read a bit, then look at the two for these mics. Else, just jump on it and buy one, they'll both serve the same purpose well. There isn't going to be some grand difference between the two in terms of quality, these companies know how to price their products. Speaking from experience (at least in this beginner-grade mic category) both mics wouldn't cost basically the same if one was drastically better than the other.

If you're looking for someone to tell you which is better, well, all we can really do is give you personal experience, but even if someone comments saying 'my AT2020 broke within two monthz!' it's not indicative of what your experience will be like. It's not like there was a mass recall on one mic because of a defect or something. 

If you're really concerned, go to a Guitar Center/Sam Ash/B&H (if B&H does that kind of thing) and ask to listen to them for yourself. Listen to decent comparative recordings on youtube.

They are basically at the same pricepoint. Each has a different tonal quality, google frequency response curves, read a bit, then look at the two for these mics. Else, just jump on it and buy one, they'll both serve the same purpose well. Or listen to comparisons of each, or go to a Guitar Center/Sam Ash and ask to take a listen for yourself. 

I have listened to videos and read all the specs on their pages. I just don't understand any of the specs, so I don't know which will be less sensitive to my keyboard.

Which would you buy?