I regret buying a GTX 780...

ybriK

I should've saved a bit more money and gotten myself a GTX 970 instead, oh well it's too late to return my GTX 780 now. Well at least I learned a valuable lesson from this when I decide to upgrade in 3-5 years time to carefully think which GPU would be a better choice.

780 isn't that bad....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

There's not much difference between the two to be upset about.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Guess the 3gb of vram is what he is talking about! Shed some light on why u dislike it????

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

There's not much difference between the two to be upset about.

There is in new titles.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

There has been talk of 7xx series being nerf'd in last few driver releases from Nvidia... But I think it'll just be a matter of time before there is a minor update to bring it more in-line.. and if there isn't there will be HUGE on-line rage, especially since it's not so long since the whole VRAM thing on the 970 and the sheer cost of those cards less than a year ago.

Nvidia seems to be shooting themselves in the foot more often these days, could this be the start of things swinging back to AMD.... ohh maybe.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

There has been talk of 7xx series being nerf'd in last few driver releases from Nvidia... But I think it'll just be a matter of time before there is a minor update to bring it more in-line.. and if there isn't there will be HUGE on-line rage, especially since it's not so long since the whole VRAM thing on the 970.

Nvidia seems to be shooting themselves in the foot more often these days, could this be the start of things swinging back to AMD.... ohh maybe.

Before I bought this 780 I was thinking of getting a 290X since it is cheaper and outperforms a 780 in most titles that don't have "Nvidia" & "GameWorks" branding all over but then again something was screaming inside me to go to the green team since money talks a lot between game developers and Nvidia. I don't really care about power consumption & temperature to some extent. I should probably do a lot more research before purchasing a card that I will most likely settle with in the long run.

I should've saved a bit more money and gotten myself a GTX 970 instead, oh well it's too late to return my GTX 780 now. Well at least I learned a valuable lesson from this when I decide to upgrade in 3-5 years time to carefully think which GPU would be a better choice.

Oh yeah ... the 700 series is getting nerfed by drivers ... Said ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Reading all this about Kepler makes me glad I got Maxwell early on. Hopefully Pascal gets a late 2016 release so that Maxwell isn't similarly nerfed until early 2017.

Shame that they feel they have to nerf the cards with drivers..... sad really there is no need to :(

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Pretty sad that even the 780 Ti seems like it's getting outperformed by the 970 now. Is Maxwell's hardware that much better for tessellation or for some other important feature or can we attribute this to Nvidia's driver team relegating it to second class status since they don't sell Kepler cards anymore?

Pretty sad that even the 780 Ti seems like it's getting outperformed by the 970 now. Is Maxwell's hardware that much better for tessellation or for some other important feature or can we attribute this to Nvidia's driver team relegating it to second class status since they don't sell Kepler cards anymore?

Well seeing that the 970 and 980 uses a smaller memory lane compared to the 780 and 780 Ti, then I guess Nvidia somehow is able to compress a lot of data and be able to put more performance on the chips. I'm not sure if this is actually true but that's how I think about it logically.

Well seeing that the 970 and 980 uses a smaller memory lane compared to the 780 and 780 Ti, then I guess Nvidia somehow is able to compress a lot of data and be able to put more performance on the chips. I'm not sure if this is actually true but that's how I think about it logically.

I think that had something to do with the increase in cache size, letting them use a narrower bus.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Don't Nvidia and AMD have to basically rewrite a really significant amount of code of each AAA game in their drivers? E.g., why you see a GTA V driver, a Witcher 3 driver, and so on? I can understand why they'd only want to do something so costly like that with their GPUs for sale now.

There is in new titles.

Yeah actually, you're right. Nvidia keeps lowering the performance of 7xx series with every new driver they release...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Don't Nvidia and AMD have to basically rewrite a really significant amount of code of each AAA game in their drivers? E.g., why you see a GTA V driver, a Witcher 3 driver, and so on? I can understand why they'd only want to do something so costly like that with their GPUs for sale now.

I guess it depends on how much access they have to a games code. Drivers interrupt instructions from DirectX to optimize performance, but those DirectX calls can be pretty obscure if the driver guys are working blind. On the AMD side for example, they could easily rewrite all tessellation calls in witcher 3 to be 16x, or they could pinpoint the calls specifically related to hairworks and adjust those on their own. If they have access to the source code for those calls they can interrupt them, but without documentation they will likely be unable to pinpoint these specific calls without getting really lucky.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR