PC freezes randomly, screen goes black, but PC stays on

rupertm

Hello everyone,

I built a PC roughly a year ago and everything has been working brilliantly until recently my system keeps crashing as the title says. I thought it may of been something to do with Windows so I done a fresh install and the issue still remains. Any idea what would be causing this?

As I said this happens at random, I can be playing games perfectly fine for hours, then other times I can be just browsing the internet and it will just freeze.

I've checked in Windows event viewer and there doesn't seem to be any logs as to what's causing this.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

EDIT Sorry admin/mods I posted this in the wrong section, please delete this post

It maybe a hardware problem, can't say. 

AMD A10 7850K, Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1, 8GB HyperX Fury, Deepcool Ice blade 100

Stress test your system, I'm thinking your CPU is faulty (PC not responding & system crashes). If not then GPU because you said something about "Black Screen".

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I have stressed my system for roughly 6 hours and it was fine, as I said this happens randomly. It's probably froze on me like 4-5 times over the past week.

Stress test your system, I'm thinking your CPU is faulty (PC not responding & system crashes). If not then GPU because you said something about "Black Screen".

He could be right ^

Where did you bought your pc? Try to go where you bought your pc and place it on warranty. If it's available =))

It's a custom build with parts from mulitple stores.....

It's a custom build with parts from mulitple stores.....

Have you tried to troubleshoot it? Try to place a different cpu.

This is why I'm here I guess..... because I don't know what to do.

I can't see this being my 4770k as it's only about 3 months old.

This is why I'm here I guess..... because I don't know what to do.

I can't see this being my 4770k as it's only about 3 months old.

Well, DimasRMDO said it maybe a CPU/GPU problem. Try to go to the shop where you bought your cpu, never encountered that problem. Oh wait did you overclocked it?

Well, DimasRMDO said it maybe a CPU/GPU problem. Try to go to the shop where you bought your cpu, never encountered that problem. Oh wait did you overclocked it?

But Stress Test the PC first! Just to make sure, I could be wrong.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I overclocked it to 4.2 when I first got it, and it was running perfectly fine for months no issues. It's only recently this has been happening. And Since, I have put everything back to default in the bios, done a fresh install of Windows 8.1.

I've ran realbench for 6 hours the other day, no issue.

As I said this happens at random, even doing the lightest of task such as browsing the net.

I overclocked it to 4.2 when I first got it, and it was running perfectly fine for months no issues. It's only recently this has been happening. And Since, I have put everything back to default in the bios, done a fresh install of Windows 8.1.

I've ran realbench for 6 hours the other day, no issue.

As I said this happens at random, even doing the lightest of task such as browsing the net.

It could be a hard drive problem, it happened to me years ago. When I was playing it freezes then it would replay and replay the sound where it freezes.

Another issue ive noticed is sometimes when i turn on my PC, the screen will just stay black, and the debugging codes on my Asus motherboard will changing to loads of different numbers. When this occurs it can take me up to 3-5 boots to actually get something to show on screen, only then does it start automatic repair, then I have to click on restart to get into the OS.

As I said above, this is also happening on a fresh install on windows 8.1

any idea what may be causing this?