Best AMD FX cpu for the GTX 970?

I just received an  ASUS GTX 970 Strix as a gift and need to buy a cpu to pair it with , I was thinking about the FX-6350 and FX-8350, but the latter is a bit expensive for me right now, what should i do?

Stuff i have:

GTX 970 Strix

MSI 970 gaming mobo

Dark rock pro 3 cooler

corsair RM 650 PSU

12 GB of corsair vengeance ddr3 memory 

60 hz monitor

Stuff i need:

An AMD FX cpu

A case

I'd sell that board and 4 GB of that RAM, then with the money, plus some out of pocket get a used 2500K and board (or similar). Its probably ya best bet. but a 6300 isnt a bad choice

Part of the Q6600 club

To be honest any of the FX chips will bottleneck the card no matter what even with overclocking however try one of the e versions  of the 8xxx series it should be cheaper

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

To be honest any of the FX chips will bottleneck the card no matter what even with overclocking however try one of the e versions  of the 8xxx series it should be cheaper

Yeah that's unfortunate, but if he really needs AMD CPU then FX-8350 is nice, another choice is to get the E series like 8320E and overclock it. I wouldn't recommend AMD FX-9370 and 9590.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

The FX 8320 with an overclock (the 8350 and 9590 are all overclocked versions), but either way you will see performance issues in nearly all games (BF 4 and hardline are exceptions), with the GTX 970 rarely reaching its full potential. I can only recommend you upgrade to an FX 8320 in good conscience if gaming was a low priority and you wanted to do rendering/video editing/a budget workstation. Otherwise sell the motherboard, buy a cheap b85/h81 motherboard and an i3 or an i5 as they are both a lot better for gaming than anything from the FX line.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I would just save money for New mobo and CPU. 

There is a saying that once you go Intel you never go back. 

INTEL I5-4670K | ASUS Z87-A | CORSAIR 16GB Vengence | EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 | CORSAIR RM850

The 6350 is a nice middle point.  Has a much more acceptable base clockspeed than the 6300 and will generally overclock better too, but is about $50 cheaper than the 8350.  

The FX 8320 with an overclock (the 8350 and 9590 are all overclocked versions), but either way you will see performance issues in nearly all games (BF 4 and hardline are exceptions), with the GTX 970 rarely reaching its full potential. I can only recommend you upgrade to an FX 8320 in good conscience if gaming was a low priority and you wanted to do rendering/video editing/a budget workstation. Otherwise sell the motherboard, buy a cheap b85/h81 motherboard and an i3 or an i5 as they are both a lot better for gaming than anything from the FX line.

Binning is something to take note of.  With how many different SKU's the FX-8 CPU's are binned for, chances are these days an 8320 overclocking half-decently is a huge gamble.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

sell the motherboard and get a h97 board..and like a i5 intel cpu

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I just received an  ASUS GTX 970 Strix as a gift and need to buy a cpu to pair it with , I was thinking about the FX-6350 and FX-8350, but the latter is a bit expensive for me right now, what should i do?

Stuff i have:

GTX 970 Strix

MSI 970 gaming mobo

Dark rock pro 3 cooler

corsair RM 650 PSU

12 GB of corsair vengeance ddr3 memory 

60 hz monitor

Stuff i need:

An AMD FX cpu

A case

Any FX will bottleneck, but you could get a 8320, oc it until you can get Intel. 

Or what @techguru said

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

The 6350 is a nice middle point.  Has a much more acceptable base clockspeed than the 6300 and will generally overclock better too, but is about $50 cheaper than the 8350.  

Binning is something to take note of.  With how many different SKU's the FX-8 CPU's are binned for, chances are these days an 8320 overclocking half-decently is a huge gamble.  

Considering how small a difference in performance there is between an FX 83** at 4.7GHz to 5GHz, nothing is really lost.

PMSL

Considering how small a difference in performance there is between an FX 83** at 4.7GHz to 5GHz, nothing is really lost.

T

A bad 8320 may barely hit 4.2-4.4GHz.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

T

A bad 8320 may barely hit 4.2-4.4GHz.

That low? Well considering I've had similar experiences with Pentium E6500K (1 doesn't go higher than 4.4GHz, even with 1.7V-and the other hits 5.1GHz at 1.7v), an FX 8350 is the way to go then.

PMSL

In well threaded games, the 8320 and above will not bottleneck the 970

The term is too overused, there are a lot of factors influencing a bottleneck or not

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

In well threaded games, the 8320 and above will not bottleneck the 970

The term is too overused, there are a lot of factors influencing a bottleneck or not

Only 2 games exist that actually make use of all threads, and they still have the FX 8*** bottlenecking a GTX 970: Battlefield 4 and Hardline

PMSL

I hope you dont plan on playing W3? AMD CPU's don't perform very well in W3 because Nvidia made Gameworks a black box and wouldn't share the source code................

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

dont ever get a 6350 their garbage lol

no they arent.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Only 2 games exist that actually make use of all threads, and they still have the FX 8*** bottlenecking a GTX 970: Battlefield 4 and Hardline

GTA 5 uses all available cores, as does crysis 3 and many capcom games. There are lots of games that use more than 4 cores, just not most games.

no they arent.

People like to call computing parts garbage around here. 

But I dunno, I can play most games on an 6300fx but I can't play any on this old mcdonalds cup I have here, nor can I play any games on these bent staples here. Oh well I guess all those things are garbage, lol.

Sick of seeing people saying the 8350 will bottleneck a 970, no it won't and an overclocked one will do fine, even my old fx-6300 ran my gtx 970 fine.

People on this forum need to read up before commenting on topics they know nothing about.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Sick of seeing people saying the 8350 will bottleneck a 970, no it won't and an overclocked one will do fine, even my old fx-6300 ran my gtx 970 fine.

most people misunderstand the term bottleneck. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Yeah they do, the only difference you would see from an i5 is that the min and max fps will probably be lower, other than that not much will happen.

Look on tomshardware for the answer if you have to.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

GTA 5 uses all available cores, as does crysis 3 and many capcom games. There are lots of games that use more than 4 cores, just not most games.

Almost all new games can make use of 8+ cores, and an i5 still smashes the 8350 in them.