My first post because I need help!

I have an AMD athlon x4 860k, running at stock (3.7GHz), paired with Corsair H80i. It idled around 50 celsius and when running Prime95, it is around 80 celsius. I tried overclocking it a little bit at 4.0 GHz, it idled around 65 celsius and when I ran Prime95 it went way past 90 degrees, everything went off except for the cpu. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the watercooling or is there something wrong on my part?

I have an AMD athlon x4 860k, running at stock (3.7GHz), paired with Corsair H80i. It idled around 50 celsius and when running Prime95, it is around 80 celsius. I tried overclocking it a little bit at 4.0 GHz, it idled around 65 celsius and when I ran Prime95 it went way past 90 degrees, everything went off except for the cpu. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the watercooling or is there something wrong on my part?

What is your room temperature?

Have you taken it off or replaced the thermal paste?

When did you install the H80i?

you might want to re apply your thermal paste. 80c on stock clocks is WAY too hot.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Is the pump unit being powered by a fan header at 100% with no throttling? This could cause the temperatures to be wacky due to the pump being designed to function at 100% all the time with only the fan on the radiator being slowed down or sped up bassed on thermal conditions at the time. Also, checking the thermal compound and replacing it could help alleviate some of the issues you are experiencing.

-Also, my spelling and gramatical errors can be attributed to the awful broken keyboard I am currently using. I hope this isn't going to bother anyone.

Edited by EMRF

I didn't ask what it was designed to do, I asked what it was capable of doing.

What is your room temperature?

Have you taken it off or replaced the thermal paste?

When did you install the H80i?

Right now room temp is right around 21, but it could get hotter when it's noon

I have reapplied the thermal paste, I believe this is my third time.

I installed it as soon as I built my PC

Btw, I just changed my fan on the H80i with the SP120. I have it in pull.

Is the pump unit being powered by a fan header at 100% with no throttling? This could cause the temperatures to be wacky due to the pump being designed to function at 100% all the time with only the fan on the radiator being slowed down or sped up bassed on thermal conditions at the time.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here, I'm kinda new to this water cooling thing. Sorry

The water block that attatches to the CPU on the board has a wire coming off of it that plugs in to a fan header on the motherboard. You'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard nowadays that does not support smart fan profiles that will throttle fan speeds in order to maintain acceptable thermal conditions under a given load while not running the fans at 100% all the time to reduce noise levels. This being said, it is very likely that you have plugged the "pump" of the unit into the CPU fan header on the motherboard and have not gone into the BIOS to set the fan speed for the CPU at 100% regardless of thermal conditions of the chip. The pump is not running at the proper speed (100%) as it is designed to, and as a result your temperatures are through the roof. I hope this helps to explain it in an easier to understand format :)

The water block that attatches to the CPU on the board has a wire coming off of it that plugs in to a fan header on the motherboard. You'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard nowadays that does not support smart fan profiles that will throttle fan speeds in order to maintain acceptable thermal conditions under a given load while not running the fans at 100% all the time to reduce noise levels. This being said, it is very likely that you have plugged the "pump" of the unit into the CPU fan header on the motherboard and have not gone into the BIOS to set the fan speed for the CPU at 100% regardless of thermal conditions of the chip. The pump is not running at the proper speed (100%) as it is designed to, and as a result your temperatures are through the roof. I hope this helps to explain it in an easier to understand format :)

So I went to the BIOS and changed the fan speed to full speed. CPU still at stock, I ran Prime95 for maybe 30 to 45 mins, temperature never exceeded 79 degrees. I don't know if that is already a good thing or the temperature is still high.

I want to boost the CPU because it is capable of going 4.0GHz, but it can't still handle it. Temperature still high

Edited by Dabbyyyy

That temperature under load is a bit high, but it is an obvious improvement over the temperatures that you were experiencing.