Networked Tablet Login

nerdyrcdriver

Hey everyone,

So my college "gives" us "free" Dell tablets. This one to be exact. http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-11-pro/pd?oc=ftcwd01h&model_id=dell-venue-11-pro

Anyway, I recently had to go through the nightmare of changing my universal school password. One password that lets me into all of my school related accounts like grade book, housing portal, email, and of course network login. So the normal steps for not getting locked out entering an incorrect password include logging out of my email on my phone, laptop, and this tablet. But since this tablet used my login info for outlook by default it had to be turned off (I could not sign out of outlook for some dumb reason related to the disk space being low). After changing my password I could not log back onto the tablet because it did not know the new password is the correct one. But the old password doesn't work either. I have a VPN installed set to my schools servers but it doesn't start until I am in windows. There is an option to log on locally, but I do not have any user info or a password. 

Any ideas on how I can get on? My school's tech support will likely take forever and I won't get a response until Wednesday if I am lucky. 

The local password is set by the person who set the tablet up- that would be your tech support team. You cannot get into it for obvious reasons. If you can't log on and nothing working the only thing is to see your teach support team so they can sort it out. It's dumb, I know but it's for security. Especially in a University environment. 

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

The local password is set by the person who set the tablet up- that would be your tech support team. You cannot get into it for obvious reasons. If you can't log on and nothing working the only thing is to see your teach support team so they can sort it out. It's dumb, I know but it's for security. Especially in a University environment. 

I figured so. Kind of weird though since they didn't lock anything down. I have full access to everything on the tablet when I am logged in. I could switch to linux if I wanted to. They have all sorts of guides on how to do simple stuff like log into the wifi, but none about using your tablet off campus. I still don't get why it doesn't work with the old password since it wasn't on the domain when I changed it. I just had to turn it off so outlook wouldn't spam the wrong password to log into my email and get me locked out. 

format the tablet and do a clean install of the OS

then you can have full access to the tablet

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

format the tablet and do a clean install of the OS

then you can have full access to the tablet

I'd rather not do that since it will take the tablet off of the domain. I do need to use some network locations during the academic year. 

I'd rather not do that since it will take the tablet off of the domain. I do need to use some network locations during the academic year. 

im sure you could reset it up..just need the config settings

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Including the domain password which he doesn't know.

Exactly. I have emailed the tech support people. But it is Memorial Day here, so my email is probably behind a bunch of others. Hopefully I get a reply by Thursday.

I was going to use the vpn on my laptop and then share the ethernet connection, but I don't have a usb to ethernet adapter. Even if I did, it would likely need to install drivers within windows. 

Edit: I wonder if I used a spare wireless router and the shared ethernet connection from my laptop if I could get it to work since I have access to the wifi settings outside of logging into windows. 

So I got a reply from tech support. They told me it is useless until it ends up back on campus connected to the network there. Looks like I might run linux or something off of the micro sd card so I can at least use it for something.