Thoughts on my First PC?

Krechan

Here is the PC: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/drDczy

I've been wanting to build my own PC for quite a while now. I plan on building one towards the end of the summer or in the fall during a sale.  I only plan on gaming on this PC and a little work with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.  My reason for wanting one is because right now I only have an Inspiron 17-3721 and I can only play a hand full of games at decent fps on minimum settings. This PC is only meant to tie me over for a year or two as I plan on building a higher end PC later on. The reason I am building this PC now and a higher end PC in a year or two is not because I won't have enough money to build the higher end PC, but that I am in College and will need the money for the fall semester. I will have a work term next summer so I will be able to afford a higher end PC then if I wanted to. 

I didn't have upgrade ability in mind while I was choosing my parts as I want to build a totally new pc, like I said, in a year or two.

Here is my reasoning for each part.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 

I've done the research and this little guy is just as capable at gaming as an i7 when overclocked.

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO 

It's cheap and it's effective. 

MOBO: Asus H87M-E Micro ATX

It's cheap and can overclock the CPU with a bios update and has everything I need. 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 

Wanted 8GB of RAM and the Corsair Vengeance series is solid.

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate Barracuda 1TB

I wanted an SSD in this build for my OS and games and I researched and compared SSD's and the 850 EVO came out on top with its read and write speeds and its cheap price. The 1TB is just for mass storage of pictures, songs, movies, etc. 

GPU: EVGA GTX 750 Ti

This 750 Ti has one of the highest clockspeeds and it has a Displayport on it while the others did not. 

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

It has great air cooling capabilities with dust filters and has a side window.

PSU: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze

My knowledge of PSU's is lacking compared what I know with the regards of everything else. So any help here would be greatly appreciated.

This PSU is semi modular which is a bonus and is more then enough wattage for this build even when overclocked as the haswell chipset is very efficient. Although I was looking at the EVGA 500W PSU which is cheaper and has more wattage and was debating if I should switch it out or not. 

Optical Drives: Asus DRW & Fan Controller (NZXT Sentry 3) 

Threw in an optical drive just in case. 

The Fan Controller is there because I want this to be air cooled and I believe there are only 2 fan connectors on the MOBO.

Because Windows 8.1

Fans: Cooler Master SickleFlow Red LED 120mm (x6)

Okay so these fans move a lot of air for $6 (CDN). As you can tell I want this to be red along with the black of the case. I know the case comes with 2 120mm fans already but what's $12 in exchange for uniformity? The Fan controller can house 5 fans and I was hoping to put the rear exhaust on the fan header on the MOBO or get a Y splitter and have 2 fans on one connector on the fan controller (Or would this even work, IDK). Again, here my knowledge of fan controllers are not all that great so any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24" 

I know 144Hz is a bit overkill for this build but I plan on keeping this monitor for when I make my high end build later on. 

Peripherals: Cooler Master Storm Quick Fire TK Gaming Keyboard, Cooler Master Storm Havoc Laser Mouse, Logitech G230 Headset. 

Mouse and Keyboard will go great with the red theme. Keyboard has Cherry MX Red switches and is back lit. Mouse uses a laser tracking method which is a lot better then an optical mouse IMO and it is red and black. Headset, I'm not much of an audiophile so these seem fine. 

Looks good to me, what games will you be playing?

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Get a R9 270, much better performance for price, and you get Mantle

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Looks good, The products you listed are all quality and highly recommended by this community by the looks of it

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Get a R9 270, much better performance for price, and you get Mantle

are u sure u get mantle on older gcn?

EDIT: pitcarin

are u sure u get mantle on older gcn?

EDIT: pitcarin

What does pitcarin mean lol

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I think you made a fantastic choice.  Especially for your first time, allot of first timers choose parts they will later regret.  

So Good Job! :D

looks good to me

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This looks solid to me

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave life wondering how the hell you did it

What does pitcarin mean lol

the architecture codename for the r9 270. last gen silicon.   I thought u were a hardcore amd fanboy.

I dig it. But I wouldn't waste my money on "performance ram" if I were you.

-snip-

Go for this build and add the extra fans, fan controller and the ssd later:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/jpK3nQ

The reason I say to upgrade is because your computer won't play games barely on the computer you created

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Looks better than my first build, and I'm still using it even though I built it on 2008, with a little help from a friend.

This is my signiture, fear it!

the architecture codename for the r9 270. last gen silicon.   I thought u were a hardcore amd fanboy.

forget those, i care for new architecture.