LED Lights for PC case

So.. i've been trying to determine which LED strips to go with for a while now, and in the past i've just bought LED case fans (yeah.. i shuttered too once i heard the noise differences from decent quality fans with no LED's). Regardless, i've watched Linus review some LED strips in the past and seemed interested by the BitFenix and IceModz LED strips, as those seem relatively easy to work with, good quality and overall really simple. I'm in the process of downsizing my PC, so i'll be using a Corsair 240 mATX case (below) when i put the LED's in.

AIR240_BLK_02.png

Let me know some feedback! Never used LED's in a PC case before so i need a lot of it..

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/98-hue-case-accessory

Comes with 2 metres of led strip, and the controller for them.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

-SNIP-

I'm usually an advocate of making your own LED strips but if you want pre-done ones the Icemodz ones are a little bit better in terms of density for LED chips compared to the Bitfenix Alchemly ones giving more light but both use the same SMD 5050 LED's.

Alternatively also I like to recommend the Darkside LED strips which are a rigid LED strip:

https://www.dazmode.com/store/category/12in-30cm-led-connect/

AddonCustoms offer High Quality Hand Made LED strips. You can pick the power cable lengths from 10cm all the way up to 2 meters, also Pick the sleeving for the power cable (Black, Red, Orange + more coming soon) and choose between a 3pin fan connector or 4pin molex.

Reviews of our LEDs are Here.
LTT Member Lays done a quick review here - Click Here
LTT Member jtai117's review can be found here  - Click Here

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer either here or in PM its up to you. BUT I am about to log off for the night.

You can find our website HERE and our FaceBook page HERE.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Hi @Nofatchx!

Welcome to the world of LED's!!

The LED's we sell have more LED's on them which will make them diffuse the light better and in most cases be alot brighter! They are super easy to install, just connect the controller to the molex and the LEd to the controller then your done. We are having a deal on them today for 15% on all LED orders over 35$ with the coupon LED15. 

You can check them out here: https://modguru.net/product-category/led/

Contact us for a quotation or a chat [Modguru shop] [Facebook] Creating the highest quality products ever

Hi @Nofatchx!

The LED's we sell have more LED's on them which will make them diffuse the light better and in most cases be alot brighter! They are super easy to install, just connect the controller to the molex and the LEd to the controller then your done. We are having a deal on them today for 15% on all LED orders over 35$ with the coupon LED15. 

Here you can see an example of use on our LED's:

11237240_10153200764561413_5989774307763

Contact us for a quotation or a chat [Modguru shop] [Facebook] Creating the highest quality products ever

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/98-hue-case-accessory

Comes with 2 metres of led strip, and the controller for them.

It's an mATX case. There is no room for a controller..

I'm usually an advocate of making your own LED strips but if you want pre-done ones the Icemodz ones are a little bit better in terms of density for LED chips compared to the Bitfenix Alchemly ones giving more light but both use the same SMD 5050 LED's.

Alternatively also I like to recommend the Darkside LED strips which are a rigid LED strip:

https://www.dazmode.com/store/category/12in-30cm-led-connect/

What exactly do you mean when you say.. "make your own" haha (again, super newbie)? I just assumed doing a bitfenix or icemodz thing would be best?

AddonCustoms offer High Quality Hand Made LED strips. You can pick the power cable lengths from 10cm all the way up to 2 meters, also Pick the sleeving for the power cable (Black, Red, Orange + more coming soon) and choose between a 3pin fan connector or 4pin molex.

Reviews of our LEDs are Here.

LTT Member Lays done a quick review here - Click Here

LTT Member jtai117's review can be found here  - Click Here

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer either here or in PM its up to you. BUT I am about to log off for the night.

You can find our website HERE and our FaceBook page HERE.

I'll have to check you guys out! Again, super newbie when it comes to LED strips.. so i have no idea how many good options are out there.

Hi @Nofatchx!

I'll have to check you guys out as well! Had no idea there were this many options.. damn!

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

It's an mATX case. There is no room for a controller..

Oops lol, I saw the shape and color and assumed it was the 540, didn't even think about it possibly being the 240 :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What exactly do you mean when you say.. "make your own" haha (again, super newbie)? I just assumed doing a bitfenix or icemodz thing would be best?

Both the Bitfenix and Icemodz ones are good but the Icemodz ones are better value and brighter in terms of lighting. 

As for making your own, purchasing a roll of LED strips on Amazon and custom cutting them to lengths and wiring are the best value usually and aren't bad quality as long as you get the good ones.

Single Colored:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-White-16-4FT-Flexible-Lights/dp/B00ASVGI8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432506285&sr=8-3&

RGB:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00B2F3KDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432506247&sr=8-3&keywords=led+strip

Hi @Nofatchx!

The LED controller we use is not big at all. The size of a molex connector

I was wondering about that, thanks!

Oops lol, I saw the shape and color and assumed it was the 540, didn't even think about it possibly being the 240 :P

Lol, it was stated in the post :P

Both the Bitfenix and Icemodz ones are good but the Icemodz ones are better value and brighter in terms of lighting. 

As for making your own, purchasing a roll of LED strips on Amazon and custom cutting them to lengths and wiring are the best value usually and aren't bad quality as long as you get the good ones.

Single Colored:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-White-16-4FT-Flexible-Lights/dp/B00ASVGI8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432506285&sr=8-3&

RGB:

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00B2F3KDQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432506247&sr=8-3&keywords=led+strip

Oh, well making my own is certainly out for now lol. Thanks for the advice on the BitFenix and Icemodz ones though.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Just look for a cheap strip and controller from fleabay. mine cost about 5 bucks for like four PCs worth of strips, and the controller with remote. Although you will need to keep track of the remote in a different way than me: 

Just look for a cheap strip and controller from fleabay. mine cost about 5 bucks for like four PCs worth of strips, and the controller with remote. Although you will need to keep track of the remote in a different way than me: -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3tLhq8bklY-

Oh time to bring back the floppy drive!  :P

Just look for a cheap strip and controller from fleabay. mine cost about 5 bucks for like four PCs worth of strips, and the controller with remote. Although you will need to keep track of the remote in a different way than me: 

I'd like to get something decent quality and brightness. Also, cable cleanliness will also be a factor (i.e i don't want it to have brown cables or red and white wires hanging out)

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

I'd like to get something decent quality and brightness. Also, cable cleanliness will also be a factor (i.e i don't want it to have brown cables or red and white wires hanging out)

Mine are visible in full daylight and the cables are completely hidden. Phoneline cable works perfect for these, and an old modem card can be cut apart to have just the sockets and you can connect lights externally. I just desoldered 3 audio ports from my pile of electronics junk and soldered the controller to them. I will have pictures in about 10-15 minutes of how I have these setup, but I need to wait for my phone to email them to myself, then upload them again to a jpeg compression website, then upload them once again to the forums that dont allow files over 2mb. My upload speed is generally about .5mb/s

Mine are visible in full daylight and the cables are completely hidden. Phoneline cable works perfect for these, and an old modem card can be cut apart to have just the sockets and you can connect lights externally. I just desoldered 3 audio ports from my pile of electronics junk and soldered the controller to them. I will have pictures in about 10-15 minutes of how I have these setup, but I need to wait for my phone to email them to myself, then upload them again to a jpeg compression website, then upload them once again to the forums that dont allow files over 2mb. My upload speed is generally about .5mb/s

Alright, i'll wait for the pictures. Hard to visualize haha

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Alright, i'll wait for the pictures. Hard to visualize haha

http://imgur.com/wgR0QzG,9oMSBHC,e9roTaW,oEixcIO,k2wiX7sDecided to upload to imgur. Its a very old case but I like it. If you want links to everything I used on this project (keep in mind you need to solder) I can give them to you.

the ugly cable on the fourth image is one of my bodge-fan cables I havent bothered to hide because the side panel does it for me. Silly cards put out to much heat...

http://imgur.com/wgR0QzG,9oMSBHC,e9roTaW,oEixcIO,k2wiX7sDecided to upload to imgur. Its a very old case but I like it. If you want links to everything I used on this project (keep in mind you need to solder) I can give them to you.

the ugly cable on the fourth image is one of my bodge-fan cables I havent bothered to hide because the side panel does it for me. Silly cards put out to much heat...

Looks nice, however it might be a little complicated for me to do. I'd rather something pre-done

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Looks nice, however it might be a little complicated for me to do. I'd rather something pre-done

One thing I forgot to mention in my post is if you are wanting WHITE LEDs then do not go with RGB, as it can look like a dirty white as RGB uses the Red, Green and Blue diodes to show white, just get a pure WHITE LED strip.

Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post is if you are wanting WHITE LEDs then do not go with RGB, as it can look like a dirty white as RGB uses the Red, Green and Blue diodes to show white, just get a pure WHITE LED strip.

Would that same thing go for the Red and Blue LED's as well (like, if i was planning to go one solid color, is it better to go solid color vs RGB)?

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Would that same thing go for the Red and Blue LED's as well (like, if i was planning to go one solid color, is it better to go solid color vs RGB)?

Single colour strips will ALWAYS be brighter than than RGB strips, as in each housing on the RGB strip has 1 red diode, 1 green diode and 1 blue diode, if you want any of those 3 colours then the other 2 will be off, if you want another colour then 2 or 3 of those diodes will work together to archive the colour you want. White is made by all 3 colours working together, which is why you get a dirty white.

Single colour strips (Like these ones on my store) will have 3 diodes the same colour in each housing on the strip, effectively making it 3 times brighter than RGB (but this can also depend on the quality of diodes).

I hope this answers your question. :D  If you have any more questions feel free to PM, or Quote my post so I get a notification. :D

Addon Customs -

The LED's we have, have clear red, green and blues if that would help? @Nofatchx

Already seen that. but thanks! Just trying to figure out which way to go atm (see below).

Single colour strips will ALWAYS be brighter than than RGB strips, as in each housing on the RGB strip has 1 red diode, 1 green diode and 1 blue diode, if you want any of those 3 colours then the other 2 will be off, if you want another colour then 2 or 3 of those diodes will work together to archive the colour you want. White is made by all 3 colours working together, which is why you get a dirty white.

Single colour strips (Like these ones on my store) will have 3 diodes the same colour in each housing on the strip, effectively making it 3 times brighter than RGB (but this can also depend on the quality of diodes).

I hope this answers your question. :D  If you have any more questions feel free to PM, or Quote my post so I get a notification. :D

Perfect! So it looks like i better pick a color first, then go with it. Otherwise, i'll lose out on brightness (which isn't good for best bang for buck).

Game Dev | Pro Gamer