970 2 way sli or 980 2 way sli

i am building a new gaming system and i still can't decide what would be beter for 3x 1440p surround gaming, video production and live streaming 2 970's or 2 980's what would you choose?

Well.. You're talking about a difference of $400+.. I would get a 970 SLi over a single 980, but get a Titan X over 980 SLi. 980 SLi is kind of a gray area. It's marginally faster than a single Titan X, but by the same degree that a 980 is faster than a 970. 

Dual 980 for triple 1440p.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Well.. You're talking about a difference of $400+.. I would get a 970 SLi over a single 980, but get a Titan X over 980 SLi. 980 SLi is kind of a gray area. It's marginally faster than a single Titan X, but by the same degree that a 980 is faster than a 970. 

This. Go with Titan X. SLI does not always scale properly.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Currently, I'm looking to have a single 970 in my build, then eventually buy another for SLI. Thing is, I heard there's some microstuttering. Being that I play lots of CSGO, I really wouldn't want that, so it just all depends on what you're looking to play.

Currently, I'm looking to have a single 970 in my build, then eventually buy another for SLI. Thing is, I heard there's some microstuttering. Being that I play lots of CSGO, I really wouldn't want that, so it just all depends on what you're looking to play.

Why would you want another 970 if you are just mainly playing CSGO? that game doesn't even need anything. Seriously, a 960 could get that game into the high settings on 1080. 

Why would you want another 970 if you are just mainly playing CSGO? that game doesn't even need anything. Seriously, a 960 could get that game into the high settings on 1080. 

I know, I'm saying I would stick another 970 for better performance in other games like GTA, but I was thinking the SLI micro stuttering would still affect even CSGO.

I know, I'm saying I would stick another 970 for better performance in other games like GTA, but I was thinking the SLI micro stuttering would still affect even CSGO.

You could turn sli off when playing CSGO

Would 1 Titan x be able to cope with 3 monitor surround at 7680x1440p though?

If a 780 ti can, a Titan X most definitely can.

That's more pixels than 4K, so.. I'm not sure if it could play games comfortably at that resolution. I imagine, at high(est) settings on a title like Grand Theft Auto V, you would expect like 25-30FPS averages. 

If a 780 ti can, a Titan X most definitely can.

This is 3 monitor 2.5k each surround on 1 Titan x 60fps min i don't think any single GPs can do it or at least no one has tried

The reason I started this thread was asking wether 2 970's or 2 980's would handle 7680x1440p surround gaming I would like to point out half the time I am using the cards one will be gaming at 2560x1440p and the other rendering in adobe after effects cc or Vegas pro so what would be better for 3 monitor 2.5k surround 2 970's or 2 980's?

Microstuttering is a mythical beast.  If you run a frame rate limiter and vsync or gsync/freesync you won't have any issues.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Are you planning on gaming in surround across all three monitors?  

I would sooner recommend something like 290CF/290x CF for that sort of set up because it's a solid performer and more cost effective.  I would say 970 SLI would be the better option of the two since overclocked 970's are still very powerful but significantly cheaper.  That said, there is an argument to be made for the 980's if you've got the money. 

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

You can disable one GPU if you want and DX12 may fix microstuttering. 

The reason I started this thread was asking wether 2 970's or 2 980's would handle 7680x1440p surround gaming I would like to point out half the time I am using the cards one will be gaming at 2560x1440p and the other rendering in adobe after effects cc or Vegas pro so what would be better for 3 monitor 2.5k surround 2 970's or 2 980's?

One Titan X

One Titan X

That's the thing though 1 Titan x won't hold anywhere near 60 fps on high to medium settings in surround in GTA 5 and other newer games

That's the thing though 1 Titan x won't hold anywhere near 60 fps on high to medium settings in surround in GTA 5 and other newer games

You could manage medium with no AA.