Get broadwell or wait for skylake ?

techie77

Hello, just wan some suggestions about whether to wait for skylake or just get a broadwell laptop, im looking for an ultrabook with emphasis on battery life and portability

I have already bought a Zenbook UX305 with 8Gb ram and 256GB ssd for my brother, but ive used it for a while and while its really good, i feel that the core M isn't good enough for me as a user as i notice the lag quite often, im waiting for the HP spectre x360 to release in my region as it is the best now IMO for my budget as XPS 13 is too exp for my money 

So the QS is still, wait for skylake or get a broadwell laptop ? any suggestion for laptops is also welcomed but make it below USD 1000 and must have 8GB ram and 256GB ssd minimum

Tech is advancing everyday. Just wait... forever!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Tech is advancing everyday. Just wait... forever!

Well u can say that but, broadwell was delayed and its lifespan will be quite short and skylake is just around the corner 

Well u can say that but, broadwell was delayed and its lifespan will be quite short and skylake is just around the corner 

There won't be much a performance increase %10 from the IPC

Do whatever your little heart desires. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

There won't be much a performance increase %10 from the IPC

Yeah but skylake's efficiency is even better than broadwell which equals better battery life 

Yeah but skylake's efficiency is even better than broadwell which equals better battery life 

I would go for broadwell because I think that skylake is going to focus on the igup. 

Hello, just wan some suggestions about whether to wait for skylake or just get a broadwell laptop, im looking for an ultrabook with emphasis on battery life and portability

I have already bought a Zenbook UX305 with 8Gb ram and 256GB ssd for my brother, but ive used it for a while and while its really good, i feel that the core M isn't good enough for me as a user as i notice the lag quite often, im waiting for the HP spectre x360 to release in my region as it is the best now IMO for my budget as XPS 13 is too exp for my money 

So the QS is still, wait for skylake or get a broadwell laptop ? any suggestion for laptops is also welcomed but make it below USD 1000 and must have 8GB ram and 256GB ssd minimum

I'd say, wait for Skylake and buy Broadwell for lower price. I don't think Skylake will that that much of an improvement.

Desktop: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC | RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W | Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | SSD: XPG M2 SX8200 Pro 512GB | SSD 2: Crucial MX500 500GB | Microphone: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: Corsair HS70 Wireless | Soundcard: Maya U5 5.1 | Speakers: Genius SP-HF1800A | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10

Secondary Desktop:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k @stock | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) | RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix | PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W | Case: SilentiumPC Aquaris X70W | HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | SSD : Corsair Force LS 240GB

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550VD:

CPU: i5-7300HQ | RAM: 8GB DDR4, 2400MHz | GPU: GTX 1050 + Intel HD Graphics 630 | Storage: 512GB M.2 SSD 

There is absolutely ZERO guarantee of that. All skylake CPUs have higher rated TDPs in the desktop range. TDP has been climbing ever since Ivy Bridge, with the exception of the pitifully-clocked Broadwell desktop chips, which are the lowest clocked i7s since Sandy Bridge (as far as base clock goes).

If you want to wait and see how it turns out, fine. But don't expect it to be a huge revelation... at least not until people get their hands on it and actually test.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I'd say, wait for Skylake and buy Broadwell for lower price. I don't think Skylake will that that much of an improvement.tha

That's a good idea 

There is absolutely ZERO guarantee of that. All skylake CPUs have higher rated TDPs in the desktop range. TDP has been climbing ever since Ivy Bridge, with the exception of the pitifully-clocked Broadwell desktop chips, which are the lowest clocked i7s since Sandy Bridge (as far as base clock goes).

If you want to wait and see how it turns out, fine. But don't expect it to be a huge revelation... at least not until people get their hands on it and actually test.

Umm, i'm talking about laptop CPU not desktop 

Given that Intel's focus is power efficiency for a while now... definitely go for Skylake.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Umm, i'm talking about laptop CPU not desktop 

Yeah. And if you read what I said, you'd find out that since TDP has been INCREASING across generations, it's likely that Skylake can be worse than broadwell efficiency-wise. Broadwell is for the most part worse than haswell efficiency- and heat-wise. I repeat: there is *ZERO* evidence that Skylake is automagically better than broadwell in the ULV market.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Yeah. And if you read what I said, you'd find out that since TDP has been INCREASING across generations, it's likely that Skylake can be worse than broadwell efficiency-wise. Broadwell is for the most part worse than haswell efficiency- and heat-wise. I repeat: there is *ZERO* evidence that Skylake is automagically better than broadwell in the ULV market.

Okayyyy, if what u believe is that 'TDP has been INCREASING across generations' and 'processors aren't getting more efficient' well, i guess i wont argue with u 

skylake is going to be a bigger improvement broadwell doesnt really improve performance that much, so wait for skylake

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply