Acer xr341cka or Acer z35 or wait?

Guest Strangerbob

Im the kind of guy whos tried it all and done with all of it and just wants the best-in-slot monitor for gaming.

21:9 is a must.

Non-TN is a must.

32"+ is a must.

Flicker Free with Gsync is a must. (Not paying $$$ for freesync to have some "issues" again.)

There are two upcoming monitors that tick all of these:

Acer xr341cka - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 75hz, gsync
Acer z35 - 35inch, VA, 2560x1080?, 144hz, gsync

The choice is resolution vs refresh rate... or wait a bit more in hopes to not have to choose?

(oh and dont concern yourself with pc performance pls)

The ACER X34 Gsync version has 100hz refresh rate now

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/acer-x34-xr341cka-has-a-g-sync-range-of-30-100hz/

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

The model ending in CK is the Freesync variant. We're looking for the G-sync one, ending in CKA, though the long name was shortened to just X34.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/acer-x34-xr341cka-has-a-g-sync-range-of-30-100hz/

There we go, now it sounds like a no compromise display. Just have to wait for all reviews to come in so that we know whether there are any drawbacks.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

Not sure how reliable that source is,...??

Acer Service Team responded to questions about the Refresh rates on Amazon,...

"The refresh rate for this monitor (XR341CK) and the XR341CKA is a maximum of 75 Hz"

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XR341CK-bmijpphz-34-inch-UltraWide/dp/B0111MRT90/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437800745&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+XR341CKA#Ask

I have a HUGE dilemma right now,...I have been waiting for these monitors (or similar for a long time), and scheduled my PC build for their arrival,...I committed to everything but a GPU, and a monitor.....I am a lifetime Nvidia guy, and I know this is not the time to jump to AMD,....BUT if I can get this monitor for $1,000 (Freesync),...it's really tempting to jump ship,....Every G-Sync (X34) costs near $1600 if you can find one,...And I would imagine it will be a long time before those prices drop!!

Advice..???

Not sure how reliable that source is,...??

Acer Service Team responded to questions about the Refresh rates on Amazon,...

"The refresh rate for this monitor (XR341CK) and the XR341CKA is a maximum of 75 Hz"

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XR341CK-bmijpphz-34-inch-UltraWide/dp/B0111MRT90/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437800745&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+XR341CKA#Ask

I have a HUGE dilemma right now,...I have been waiting for these monitors (or similar for a long time), and scheduled my PC build for their arrival,...I committed to everything but a GPU, and a monitor.....I am a lifetime Nvidia guy, and I know this is not the time to jump to AMD,....BUT if I can get this monitor for $1,000 (Freesync),...it's really tempting to jump ship,....Every G-Sync (X34) costs near $1600 if you can find one,...And I would imagine it will be a long time before those prices drop!!

Advice..???

Wait the 2 months. If the gsync version turns out to really be 100hz, its a clear choice. And if you can spend 1100$ on a monitor, you can spend 1250$.

2 months is nothing, compared to the 7 or so years you`ll keep that monitor. ... until OLED and SuperMHL are mainstream for monitors.

Wait the 2 months. If the gsync version turns out to really be 100hz, its a clear choice. And if you can spend 1100$ on a monitor, you can spend 1250$.

2 months is nothing, compared to the 7 or so years you`ll keep that monitor. ... until OLED and SuperMHL are mainstream for monitors.

Also the 100hz question was answered after the 75hz question, also the reviews on the ACER X34 Freesync version got a good review

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

They wouldn't discount it from the original price it launched at if it was selling decent. Its been out for like two weeks and already at its discount price and promo incentive. @

Also that is the Freesync version, they might of looked at the ACER X34 100hz Gsync and will be thinking that more people will buy it.

Also the 100hz question was answered after the 75hz question, also the reviews on the ACER X34 Freesync version got a good review

Yeah, I missed that...Still a discrepancy because they because they say,...23-80 Hz on Amazon,...and the 144 Hz Monitors Website edited at 30-100 Hz....Whatever,..They both confirm 100Hz with G-Sync. (End of story),....The Free-Sync stays at 75 or 80 Hz standard Max,...with no jump when Free-Sync is used,....WOW! I would say that is probably why they are discounted on New Egg,...Once the G-Syncs arrive....Who is going to buy one??

I know these monitors aren't designed to be used independently as your total primary entertainment center, But when your spending that much money it would be nice to use it for T.V. Movies, etc. I have experienced T.V. on the LG's 34UM95 and the "Squished" screen doesn't really make for a  pleasurable experience. If you have 2 stacked monitors (or in a perfect world - 4 screens) does that "Squished" appearance go away, and give you a experience that is similar to a Big Screen T.V. (But, with Bezels,..of Course)?   

Yeah, I missed that...Still a discrepancy because they because they say,...23-80 Hz on Amazon,...and the 144 Hz Monitors Website edited at 30-100 Hz....Whatever,..They both confirm 100Hz with G-Sync. (End of story),....The Free-Sync stays at 75 or 80 Hz standard Max,...with no jump when Free-Sync is used,....WOW! I would say that is probably why they are discounted on New Egg,...Once the G-Syncs arrive....Who is going to buy one??

I know these monitors aren't designed to be used independently as your total primary entertainment center, But when your spending that much money it would be nice to use it for T.V. Movies, etc. I have experienced T.V. on the LG's 34UM95 and the "Squished" screen doesn't really make for a  pleasurable experience. If you have 2 stacked monitors (or in a perfect world - 4 screens) does that "Squished" appearance go away, and give you a experience that is similar to a Big Screen T.V. (But, with Bezels,..of Course)?   

I think you get the fisheye effect then if you use more than one monitor.

Im moving away from my 3x dell u3011. Good monitor, but widescreen gaming can be painful. The bezels kill me and the 7680x1600 res is just too many pixels to push without sacrificing image quality on newer games (gta 5 + w3wh). Really looking forward to linus' review on the acer xr341cka as ive never gamed on anything >60hz. Also quietly hoping my tri sli titans (original) will be enough to support the 3440x1440 @ >60fps...

People will buy the freesync that don't want to spend 1600 on a monitor just because its Gsync

People will buy the freesync that don't want to spend 1600 on a monitor just because its Gsync

Id spend that on the gsync one just because its 100hz instead of 75hz tho.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the opportunity to buy a 34um95 60hz 1440p with no sync for 300eur. I wonder if i should get that to hold me over till the no compromise monitor arrives. But then i remember how playing without any sync feels like and i dont want to do anything.

I have the exact same temptation. Local slightly used 34um95 for €300. Save a grand and spend it later on something better, or at least wait to see if QC issues get ironed out.

;)

I have the exact same temptation. Local slightly used 34um95 for €300. Save a grand and spend it later on something better, or at least wait to see if QC issues get ironed out.

;)

Please try not to necro old threads! It's technically against the CoC's of the forum :c

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's