Macbook 12" Retina Early 2015

@LinusTech any plans to review the Asus ux305 when the qhd version comes out? It would be interesting to see how it compares to the new macbook while beign cheaper.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Apple must be high if they think they can sell me a $1300 laptop that doesn't even include the $80 adaptor that's REQUIRED if I want to plug in a USB drive or ANYTHING else! Oh, and the 1 port it does have isn't even USB 3.1 speed.

I've even seen a Kickstarter for an $80 hub, made of Aluminium, that has twice the ports AND has an internal battery for boosting a phone's charge. This shouldn't be necessary.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nonda/get-your-macbook-ports-back

i think we need to sort something out about the mac after reading the comments on YouTube and the video :) 

first of all apple is moving away form wired devices and if you have been following Intel then you should know they are in a process to make monitors wireless and such.

anyways back to Apple, they have only one port because that is the only thing you need, IF you are one of those folks who use Bluetooth mouse then the battery time is good and you can safely plug a adapter in and transfer files form you media with out worrying that the computer dies, and if you absolutely need it plugged in then fine you can get a adapter for that, but in the years to come people will start using cloud services or their own nas to get their media, and they don't need a adapter because they just download it form the wireless internet witch is getting faster and faster soon better than wires.

what apple is basically doing is giving us a glimpse of the future where we are heading, and if you cant accept it now, you will in time to come! :)

what apple is basically doing is giving us a glimpse of the future where we are heading, and if you cant accept it now, you will in time to come! :)

Wired will probably stay. Do we have anything that could handle 10Gbit or more faster wireless internet speeds? Not to mentioned that I would not want to play an online game over WiFi

i can only say one thing you are probably right about the limits of the wireless connections but keep in mind that we are becoming more and more mobile as humans and we need our data, wireless or not but it has been proven that wireless can reach about 1 Tbps (terabit) with 100 meter between the receiver and antenna while we might have to wait at least 5 years more for it to become public tho. 

and yes wired is faster i agree, but i hold on to wireless as the future, where i don't have plug my laptop in to transfer large files but just do it on WiFi. 

source 

danish : http://www.version2.dk/artikel/5g-rekord-universitet-opnaar-hastighed-paa-1tbps-86541

English : http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2396249/exclusive-university-of-surrey-achieves-5g-speeds-of-1tbps

and for wired speeds http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/30/danish-data/

i can only say one thing you are probably right about the limits of the wireless connections but keep in mind that we are becoming more and more mobile as humans and we need our data, wireless or not but it has been proven that wireless can reach about 1 Tbps (terabit) with 100 meter between the receiver and antenna while we might have to wait at least 5 years more for it to become public tho. 

and yes wired is faster i agree, but i hold on to wireless as the future, where i don't have plug my laptop in to transfer large files but just do it on WiFi. 

source 

danish : http://www.version2.dk/artikel/5g-rekord-universitet-opnaar-hastighed-paa-1tbps-86541

English : http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2396249/exclusive-university-of-surrey-achieves-5g-speeds-of-1tbps

and for wired speeds http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/30/danish-data/

It's not just about speed, it is also about reliability.

Competitive gamers will still prefer wired connections

I can also think of several other situations where a stable connection is more important than being wireless

I can also think of several other situations where a stable connection is more important than being wireless

WiFi does give you reliability it depends how you chose to grab the problem in hand, just as we buy cat5e (or more) Ethernet cables to be sure that other things don't interfere with our wire ( crosstalk and such ).

It all lies in the innovation of WiFi, i hope that in not so long we will have better or even input lag on wireless ( without having to configure the bands ) as on cable but all you have to is to configure the router right and make sure there is as little interference with the bands you chose to lay the signal on.

I had a friend of my dad make a program that dynamically changes bands when some gets too crowded and i have never had any problems with input lag or ping that was related to my router.

you say competitive gameres prefer wired connections it is simply a matter of either trust issues or purely because they have never tried to do a proper wireless connection (it is understandable given that they may not have to time to set up and test before actually playing competitive ) 

the only downside i see to WiFi right now, is the vulnerability of the privacy. 

I found it interesting how Linus said he forgot it wasn't a touchscreen and that he wishes it had one. Does anyone remember if he was pro-touchscreen earlier on too (when windows 8 came out). I remember most people thought the idea of a touchscreen laptop as unnecessary, whats the general opinion now?

Also, i think the utility of the Macbook will increase once more USB-C accessories (mice, card readers, phone cables, etc.) become the standard. And for now, if you're buying this laptop, its better to go for Bluetooth options. IMO i don't think the one port is too big of a deal, and it will get better with time but rather the price is just too high to justify the lack of performance. If it were around $500-700 (the price of a new Surface 3), it would be a good buy.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

There is also the latency to consider as well. It is not something you want in games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

There is also the latency to consider as well. It is not something you want in games.

Yup, try getiing 1ms with wireless.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I still don't see why a "power user" necessarily needs more ports? I mean it is a tiny 12" notebook ... it is meant to work on the go. Buy any cheap USB power bank and you can work on it for hours/days.

the thing is, a power user (and really a lot of people, "power user" or not) will want to do more with it than light web browsing and office work after he spent 1300$ on it. Just the idea that you can't plug in a usb drive while it's charging is an instant deal breaker for me. What I can do with this device, I can do on my 200$, 3 years old nexus 7 (granted, with a fair amount of hard software modding to run ubuntu in dual boot with android, but now there are alternatives on the market that do the same things natively for about the same price). In fact, my n7 does more: it has a freaking touch screen.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the thing is, a power user (and really a lot of people, "power user" or not) will want to do more with it than light web browsing and office work after he spent 1300$ on it. Just the idea that you can't plug in a usb drive while it's charging is an instant deal breaker for me. What I can do with this device, I can do on my 200$, 3 years old nexus 7 (granted, with a fair amount of hard software modding to run ubuntu in dual boot with android, but now there are alternatives on the market that do the same things natively for about the same price). In fact, my n7 does more: it has a freaking touch screen.

Heck, even my $90 Pendo 7 (the quad core version) can do more-and it even has a lot more I/O.

PMSL

Heck, even my $90 Pendo 7 (the quad core version) can do more-and it even has a lot more I/O.

Heck, even my $0.09 cent Pen can do more then your Pendo.

the thing is, a power user (and really a lot of people, "power user" or not) will want to do more with it than light web browsing and office work after he spent 1300$ on it.

well then those people probably shouldn't buy it ;)

I don't buy a 2 seated convertible when I want to drive a family of 5 around the country ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Heck, even my $0.09 cent Pen can do more then your Pendo.

I don't buy a 2 seated convertible when I want to drive a family of 5 around the country ...

My main point-it has more I/O and features than a device that costs over 10x the price.

PMSL

but this is more like a one seated golf ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My main point-it has more I/O and features than a device that costs over 10x the price.

no it hasn't. and if you can't see the difference between your tablet and that notebook, I am really sorry for you.

no it hasn't. and if you can't see the difference between your tablet and that notebook, I am really sorry for you.

The 2015 Macbook has 1 USB C port and 1 Headphone jack alongside the bluetooth and wifi. My quad core pendo has a headphone/microphone jack, HDMI out, SD card slot, USB port, wifi, bluetooth and a 5 point multi-touch screen. It has more I/O by far. BTW, as Linus mentioned, other companies also managed to fit more I/O in ultrabooks of the same size....which also perform the same and cost less than the Macbook.

PMSL

The 2015 Macbook has 1 USB C port and 1 Headphone jack alongside the bluetooth and wifi. My quad core pendo has a headphone/microphone jack, HDMI out, SD card slot, USB port, wifi, bluetooth and a 5 point multi-touch screen.

wow. so the Macbook has an inovative keyboard, probably the best touchpad on the markt, a much MUCH MUCH better display, AC WiFi, a much faster X86 CPU, a much better built quality, a much better (full desktop) OS, a USB port that combines pretty much all the IO and even more, that you mentioned and can be used to charge the device much faster, ... , ... and ...

It has more I/O by far.

It is a completly different device.

The Macbook has almost 6 times the pixels of you tablet. Is it 6x better now?

BTW, as Linus mentioned, other companies also managed to fit more I/O in ultrabooks of the same size....which also perform the same and cost less than the Macbook.

It just isn't true. Take the UX305 for example. It is quite a bit bigger and heavier and when equipped similar the price difference just isn't there.

wow. so the Macbook has an inovative keyboard, probably the best touchpad on the markt, a much MUCH MUCH better display, AC WiFi, a much faster X86 CPU, a much better built quality, a much better (full desktop) OS, a USB port that combines pretty much all the IO and even more, that you mentioned and can be used to charge the device much faster, ... , ... and ...

It is a completly different device.

The Macbook has almost 6 times the pixels of you tablet. Is it 6x better now?

It just isn't true. Take the UX305 for example. It is quite a bit bigger and heavier and when equipped similar the price difference just isn't there.

Lol, I was talking about the I/O-Apple aren't completely ripping people off. And about that single port that does everything? Its still a single port.

BTW, this is just as thin and fits more ports: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga/yoga-3-pro/

PMSL

Lol, I was talking about the I/O-Apple aren't completely ripping people off. And about that single port that does everything? Its still a single port.

so a keyboard, touchpad , WiFi, Bluetooth and display aren't IO ?!

I bet 90% of the buyers of a Macbook (Air) wouldn't even need a single USB port. Power and headphone hack would suffice.

BTW, this is just as thin and fits more ports: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga/yoga-3-pro/

And is 300g heavier?! And more expensive?

_________

What if I told you, that they COULD have fitted in more (and different) ports, but choose not to? And the reason was not, so they could sell more adapters (which there are better and cheaper alternatives from other companies anyway)?

so a keyboard, touchpad , WiFi, Bluetooth and display aren't IO ?!

I bet 90% of the buyers of a Macbook (Air) wouldn't even need a single USB port. Power and headphone hack would suffice.

And is 300g heavier?! And more expensive?

_________

What if I told you, that they COULD have fitted in more (and different) ports, but choose not to? And the reason was not, so they could sell more adapters (which there are better and cheaper alternatives from other companies anyway)?

I already mentioned wifi and bluetooth-both have it, and bluetooth mice and keyboard cost less combined than a single adapter for the Macbook. And they both have a screen-please read my above post mentioning the tablet having a 5 point multi touch screen.

And that Yoga Pro 3 was the Australian price, in converted USD it works out to: $1,529.51. And the extra I/O is well worth the extra 300g of weight.

To recap:

The 2015 Macbook has 1 USB C port and 1 Headphone jack alongside the bluetooth and wifi. My quad core pendo has a headphone/microphone jack, HDMI out, SD card slot, USB port, wifi, bluetooth and a 5 point multi-touch screen. It has more I/O by far. BTW, as Linus mentioned, other companies also managed to fit more I/O in ultrabooks of the same size....which also perform the same and cost less than the Macbook.

To re-iterate, please read posts fully before commenting.

Edit: the price of the Macbook in the US: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook

The Yoga 3 Pro makes up the difference in actual features-which will get used.

PMSL

I already mentioned wifi and bluetooth-both have it, and bluetooth mice and keyboard cost less combined than a single adapter for the Macbook.

I can't believe you still compare your absolute crap tablet to a notebook :D

Also there already are DIRTCHEAP adapters for USB-C, as contrary to your imagination it is (an) open (standard).

And they both have a screen-please read my above post mentioning the tablet having a 5 point multi touch screen.

so your craplet has a 5 point touch screen ... the Macbook has a 5 point touchpad ... SO WHAT?!?!?!

And that Yoga Pro 3 was the Australian price, in converted USD it works out to: $1,529.51. And the extra I/O is well worth the extra 300g of weight.

If you feel the desire to buy a Macbook and still need those IO from time to time you could just get something like the Hub+ which I posted about in this thread, which is still far less than the price difference between the Yoga and the Macbook and only ways 99g.

I can't believe you still compare your absolute crap tablet to a notebook :D

Also there already are DIRTCHEAP adapters for USB-C, as contrary to your imagination it is (an) open (standard).

so your craplet has a 5 point touch screen ... the Macbook has a 5 point touchpad ... SO WHAT?!?!?!

If you feel the desire to buy a Macbook and still need those IO from time to time you could just get something like the Hub+ which I posted about in this thread, which is still far less than the price difference between the Yoga and the Macbook and only ways 99g.

Lol, you really don't get the difference between a touch screen and track pad do you? And my main point still stands: my $90 tablet has more I/O than a $1K+ Macbook. BTW, with the Yoga Pro 3 and just like my tablet, you don't need to carry around adapters that negate the thinness of the device, which mean you'll need to buy a proper carry bag for it.

PMSL

Great review I don't own any Apple product but their products have the potential to be good but they always seem to find a way to mess things up and with this one they messed up alot.