Macbook 12" Retina Early 2015

Linus Tech Tips team at their best.

Great review, honest and direct while still balanced.

I'd love a heads to heads usage video between it and say the new Dell XPS...

Whatever about Apple products, they push the envelope and innovate design that takes things forward.

The MacBook Air wasn't worth buying until gen 3 either...

Personally I have to say, I love my PC desktop (built it myself, dual monitor, a labour of love...) but when it comes to laptops/tablets/phones...I'm Apple all the way...interested to see what the Surface Pro 4 will look like...

I was pleasantly surprised by this review. Not only was this the least biased Apple review you guys have done so far, but also one of the least biased review you guys have done outside of desktop parts, so kudos. Oh and Linus, the mic on the back of the iMac is just the secondary mic for noise cancellation and such, there is another mic on the thing.

Love your comment about who this is for :D

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

A couple things - You said that Apple was the only one that would kick the 16:9 bandwagon and do 16:10. Surface Pro 3 did a 3:2 display and people love it, so their direct competitor has as well.

Now, I may be wrong about this, but the whole "haptic feedback force touch" thing.. didn't the first Android phones do this, and everyone hated it? lol

As for who this is for - I would love to use it as a web designer (front-end, because I'm sure if you try to code past HTML and CSS on that thing it will fry) or a simple blogger thanks to the battery life and awesome display, but there is not ONE THING that can justify the price imo. I'd rather hackintosh a 3-year old HP and just skin it on my own to where it looks all pretentious and Starbucks-worthy.

Great review Thanks Linus & Team.

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I worked (and so did the team) really hard on this one. 

only vessel icri...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I was pleasantly surprised by this review. Not only was this the least biased Apple review you guys have done so far, but also one of the least biased review you guys have done outside of desktop parts, so kudos. Oh and Linus, the mic on the back of the iMac is just the secondary mic for noise cancellation and such, there is another mic on the thing.

Still sounds like ass :P

I tried to use continuity while I was doing my iSwitched and everyone I talked to said they could barely hear me. It was horrible.

I tried to use continuity while I was doing my iSwitched and everyone I talked to said they could barely hear me. It was horrible.

seems a bit strange, as although obviously not up to the quality of a dedicated mic, the builtin ones normally are decent enough for stuff like Skype etc.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

@LinusTech

More Amazing USB-C stuff is coming, but this one already looks pretty damn good.

- USB - Power bank

- 2x USB Type C

- 3x USB Type A

- Mini-Displayport

- SDXC Card Reader

- 100g (3.5oz)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nonda/get-your-macbook-ports-back

0309eadccf2affa7451b64779ec941df_origina

Well of course, built in mics on computers always sound like ass  :P

Decent review Linus. A few valid points.

Particularly the one about field testing USB Type-C. This is something Apple constantly does (Thunderbolt/Lighting). We can all agree that USB Type-C is the future but the lack of peripherals at this time isn't very helpful.

For the Macbook Air. I don't see them continuing this line much longer. Just like the non-Retina MacBook and MacBook Pro it will slowly disappear.

The MBA goes away next year, since the MB is going to get the same treatment the MBA got when it launched. Gen 1 is an overpriced litmus test. Gen 2 is cheaper, better specced and the one that makes sense for more people. Then again, this is coming across as Apple 101. Throw out the first generation and see if its worth pursuing, next generation gets proper attention and is worth it. 

But the question is....

....is it waterproof

"If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" Anonymous

So, Linus... could we see a rain-test type thing? I'm curious  :P

@LinusTech

More Amazing USB-C stuff is coming, but this one already looks pretty damn good.

- USB - Power bank

- 2x USB Type C

- 3x USB Type A

- Mini-Displayport

- SDXC Card Reader

- 100g (3.5oz)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nonda/get-your-macbook-ports-back

0309eadccf2affa7451b64779ec941df_origina

That's actually quite good, but Apple should have thought of it themselves since they were pushing a single USB C port.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Linus Tech Tips team at their best.

Great review, honest and direct while still balanced.

I'd love a heads to heads usage video between it and say the new Dell XPS...

Whatever about Apple products, they push the envelope and innovate design that takes things forward.

The MacBook Air wasn't worth buying until gen 3 either...

Personally I have to say, I love my PC desktop (built it myself, dual monitor, a labour of love...) but when it comes to laptops/tablets/phones...I'm Apple all the way...interested to see what the Surface Pro 4 will look like...

So would you compare the Mac Book in its current state to early Air laptops? Not exactly the right place to ask but eh. I'm looking for a laptop for school to augment my desktop and am pretty much set on Apple (typing this from my brother's Air, lovin it). The usb C connector on the Mac Book is really interesting to me and being able to charge the laptop off a battery bank is a big bonus imo but for the price I could get a rmbp 13"... Based off ur comment on how the Air wasn't really worth it you think the Mac Book is in the same boat right now?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

The MBA goes away next year, since the MB is going to get the same treatment the MBA got when it launched. Gen 1 is an overpriced litmus test. Gen 2 is cheaper, better specced and the one that makes sense for more people. Then again, this is coming across as Apple 101. Throw out the first generation and see if its worth pursuing, next generation gets proper attention and is worth it. 

So you'd recommend staying away from the Mac Book then? why couldn't they have released 1st gen last year so I could buy their 2nd gen for school this year :(

jk I know the reasons :P

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

So would you compare the Mac Book in its current state to early Air laptops? Not exactly the right place to ask but eh. I'm looking for a laptop for school to augment my desktop and am pretty much set on Apple (typing this from my brother's Air, lovin it). The usb C connector on the Mac Book is really interesting to me and being able to charge the laptop off a battery bank is a big bonus imo but for the price I could get a rmbp 13"... Based off ur comment on how the Air wasn't really worth it you think the Mac Book is in the same boat right now?

Hey man - great question. I love the new mac book, it's lightweight and gorgeous but I don't think ready for prime time use. If you love the macbook air, it's a great machine and I use mine all the time. However as a student, I would go for the rMBPro 13inch, it's way more powerful, you get that gorgeous screen, all the ports you need to last for ever and you'll get way way more use out of it than the new macbook (or even the Air but that's just a preference thing really).

I would want the best power, the best screen, the most ports in the smallest/lightest form factor and that's the rMBPro 13inch and the current price is pretty amazing. Will last you for many years throughout school and beyond, plus some gaming, video editing projects, coding, or what ever else life brings your way

So you'd recommend staying away from the Mac Book then? why couldn't they have released 1st gen last year so I could buy their 2nd gen for school this year :(

jk I know the reasons :P

Well the 2015 Macbook is really just a tablet crammed into an ultrabook chassis, without any of the benefits. So either go with the Macbook Air/Pro or look at some other alternatives that will get you more for your money.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So discussion goes here. Well, you made some excellent points in the video, which leaves very little room for discussion.

The powerbank/dock thingy from kickstarter was a nice addition, other than that it's just "yeah... i agree" :P

I still does not understand why you'd only want a single USB port on a laptop. I would at the very least have two ports (One for power one for a mouse), but preferably at least three

And is USB type C backwards compatible with older type A devices (like USB storage devices)? I for one would not risk to lose comparability with older, fully functional equipment.

yo i heard you like adapters so I designed this overpriced glorified ipad that only has 1 type-c port so you have to buy a bunch of overpriced adapters.  Hey, you gotta pay if you want to show off at the local starbucks while pretending to write a novel.

I think this was a good review honestly.  I mean yeah it's easy to hate on the lack of ports because it is outright silly but at least Linus tried to find some good things about it.

yo i heard you like adapters so I designed this overpriced glorified ipad

of course it is an ipad ...

with x86 cpu, 256/512gb ssd, 8gb Ram, 12" screen and integrated keyboard, minus the touchscreen ...

or you know ... it maybe could be called a laptop, because that is pretty much what it is ...

It would be interesting seeing Linus review the 2015 13" Retina Macbook Pro, I think that's the Apple notebook to buy.