Help with SSD and HDD in the same PC

Hi there guys.

I am building a new computer in a few days but i need to know how to solve my problem. I am getting a SSD and a HDD. But i want to install windows onto the SSD for a faster boot up etc. But i have heard that when you have both the hard drives connected into the mobo when installing windows, it spreads the files over both hard drives, which i dont want. How can i get around this problem??

you unplug the HDD while installing windows

then plug it back in when its done

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Linus did a video about this for NCIX

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

you unplug the HDD while installing windows

then plug it back in when its done

But wont this make the HDD miss the setup for the PC?  

Linus did a video about this for NCIX

Yeah i watched that but thats for years ago.

It still works the same way.

Like @Enderman said you can just unplug it then plug it back in after it's done you just have to go into disk management and add it so that windows recognizes it.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

It will be fine, if you plug it back in Windows will configure the hdd. I always disconnect my secondary hdds when installing windows just to make sure I don't accidentally install Windows on one of them and wipe my data

Would just like to note that I've never disconnected my secondary drives when installing Windows. I've never had any issues! I did have stuff on them though, if that counts for anything. 

It does not spread the files over both drives. What happens is Windows will put the System Reserved partition on the hard drive, essentially "tying" it to the system in software. Without that drive, the system will not boot.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. The hard drive can be initialized and formatted in Disk Management which is found in Windows.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It will be fine, if you plug it back in Windows will configure the hdd.

Any unformatted drives connected to the system remain unformatted until you do it manually in Disk Management or some other program.

This video still applies and will likely apply for a long time to come.

The reason for disconnecting your hdd is to not overwrite your data with the new windows install but it shouldn't be necessary if you're building the computer from scratch.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

You dont need to set up anything on the HDD if its not being used for the OS...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020