First Gaming Build Help!

Hey guys,

My first time here, and i'm looking to join the glorius pc race, and i've decided to build my first gaming pc.

I've shortlisted a few components. Here's the list-

Processor- i5 4690k

Motherboard- MSI Z97 Gaming 7

RAM- Corsair Vengeance (1x8Gb)

HDD- WD Blue 1TB

CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212x

PSU- Corsair VS650 650W

Graphics Card- MSI GTX970

Cabinet- Corsair Carbide Spec03

Cabinet fans- Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm

I have a couple of questions-

1) Are all of the above components compatible with each other?

2) Are any of the components overkill? Any way i can save some $ by switching some of them? If so, what must i change?

3) Will this setup allow me to overclock?

4)Will my graphics card fit into this cabinet?

5)How future proof is this build? i'm expecting this to last me 5 years at the least.

Thanks in advance.

I've got two words for you.

Rubber Duck.

Hey guys,

My first time here, and i'm looking to join the glorius pc race, and i've decided to build my first gaming pc.

I've shortlisted a few components. Here's the list-

Processor- i5 4690k

RAM- Corsair Vengeance (1x8Gb)

HDD- WD Blue 1TB

CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212x

PSU- Corsair VS650 650W

Graphics Card- MSI GTX970

Cabinet- Corsair Carbide Spec03

Cabinet fans- Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm

2) Are any of the components overkill? Any way i can save some $ by switching some of them? If so, what must i change?

5)How future proof is this build? i'm expecting this to last me 5 years at the least.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe go for a Z97 Gaming 5.  You could save some money there. and your graphics card should fit no problem

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

1) All of the components should be okay.

2) Downgrade to a Z97 Gaming 5 (like me) unless you are planning to use some of the other features. The rest should be fine.

3) The Hyper 212 Evo will be a good fan for overclocking. If you are planning to overclock further (4.7/4.8 GHz) you might want to get an AIO cooler like the H100i. Do check if your case is compatible with the H100i though.

4) Yes, it probably will. Check it with pcpartpicker (website).

5) This build will probably last you quite long. I have the same exact CPU and GPU like you. If it starts to lag behind (Probably in 3-4 years) You can always go a GTX 970 SLI.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

OP you don't mention what resolutions you want to game at over the next 5 years so it is hard to say whether or not your build is enough for you in terms of future proofing.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Will it be able to run games in the next 3-5 years 60Fps @ultra? What about current games?

Rubber Duck.

Will it be able to run games in the next 3-5 years 60Fps @ultra? What about current games?

I doubt anything affordable can do that tbh. Ultra is hard work to drive at higher than 1080p resolutions. It's pretty likely that no PC now can play every game at ultra 3 years from now.

And it takes me 2 cards to do Witcher 3 Ultra @ 60...

CPU overclocking is a waste of $

Also, no monitor?

Nop, no monitor. I figured i might as well plug the hdmi directly into my brain. No lag that way.

On an unrelated topic, how well will i be able to play Shadow of Mordor and Witcher 3?

Rubber Duck.

Don't get the Corsair VS PSU. It's worse than the CX and that is saying something

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Don't get the Corsair VS PSU. It's worse than the CX and that is saying something

Why not? What's wrong with them?

Rubber Duck.

They are cheaply built and you can do much better for the money :) unless they are on some rebate offer or similar

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Corsair's PSUs aren't great to begin with (aside from very high end models like the AX), and the VS is the worst of them all. If you can afford a 4690K and 970 don't cheap out on the PSU, get something decent like Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Super Flower

"Rawr XD"

Okay, i've decided to jump to the msi z97 gaming 5 . What are the differences between the 5 and 7? What will i be losing out on?

Rubber Duck.