Really low GPU utilization and low fps with new gtx 980

I recently bought an EVGA GTX 980 SC for gaming at 144hz and something seems to be wrong. In GTA V and Battlefield 4 my GPU utilization is sitting at between 50%-70% and my FPS is around 60 in GTA V and 90-100 in Battlefield 4. All of my drivers are up to date as I just installed the card into my computer.

Resetting my CPU to the factory clock speed doesn't effect FPS in games either. I know that I'm not hitting any thermal limits because my CPU is in the mid 60 under full load and my GPU is about the same.

In benchmarks like 3dmark firestrike it runs at around 95%-100% but in others like Valley Benchmark it at around 60%.

What could be happening?

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8320 @ 4.4

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC

Ram: Kingston HyperX fury 16gb @ 1866

MoBo: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0

PSU: Corsair TX750M

óÓÒò

your cpu sucks and is gonna be a huge bottleneck is what.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Bottlenecked by your CPU.

Try Overclocking your CPU, or replacing with an Intel i5.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Your CPU is holding it back I'd imagine

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

cpu bottleeneck things that utilize cores are running better while unoptimized stuff is running like crap

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

cpu bottleeneck things that utilize cores are running better while unoptimized stuff is running like crap

wait what?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I looked at some benchmarks with the 8320 and I think it may be bottlenecking the 980 in that particular title.

wait what?

some programs/games dont use all 8 cores and decide that they only want to use 2 so what happens is they can only use 25% of your cpus potential which prevents them from fully utilizing the gpu

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

i can't even believe someone actually bought a 980 having a 8320 in his system.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

some programs/games dont use all 8 cores and decide that they only want to use 2 so what happens is they can only use 25% of your cpus potential which prevents them from fully utilizing the gpu

your grammar was really bad is what I was saying.

your grammar was really bad is what I was saying.

English not first language

Really everyone? This is turning into a bash AMD thread? The CPU isn't bottleneck the GPU. the difference in FPS between the FX 83xx and the I5 4690K is at most 10 fps.

Another reason I know that it isn't a CPU bottleneck is that the GPU has the same utilization and FPS whether the CPU is at stock speed or overclocked to 4.6 ghz.

I kind of expected more from the Linus Tech Tips community.

óÓÒò