In what format should I render my video?

Hello Forum,

As you might have assumed, I'm a newbie at video production and I'd like to know in which format should I render my videos. I've filmed them at 1080p/60FPS and I am using Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum. I was thinking of MP4 but you guys will know better.

Thanks! :)

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

There's AVCHD and a lot more.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

AVI is a commonly accepted codec, I know youtube used to complain at me if i uploaded in mp4 but AVI was fine. Really depends on what you're gonna do with the video after.

But can I use MP4?

AVI is a commonly accepted codec

No AVI is a container and it shouldn't be used in combination with the latest codecs.

I would render out uncompressed and than compress with x264

It will depend on where you are planning to publish to. I would say h.264 or prores depending on where you publish to.