My download speed is pretty much 0 kb/s

Nikeshp79
Go to solution Solved by Speaker1264,

So we have pretty bad internet to start with, like 5mbps. But my brother recently got a new PC and he's downloading so many games it's using up the bandwidth, meaning it literally takes my computer 5 minutes to download a 750kb PDF. I thought if I'm logged on that I should automatically taking some of the bandwidth, slowing down his PC downloads - but that's not the case!

Is this how it's meant to be, or there something up? 

He's using my Asus PCE-N15 wireless card, whilst I'm using my wireless print server to connect to the home wifi. I usually have both of these so when one drops out, the other is usually there to keep things picked up.

Thanks for your help.

It is meant to be like that.  Your only option is to try to make some changes to the router settings to limit his bandwidth so that there is some left for you, if your router even supports this.  If not you might consider purchasing one that does.

So we have pretty bad internet to start with, like 5mbps. But my brother recently got a new PC and he's downloading so many games it's using up the bandwidth, meaning it literally takes my computer 5 minutes to download a 750kb PDF. I thought if I'm logged on that I should automatically taking some of the bandwidth, slowing down his PC downloads - but that's not the case!

He's using my Asus PCE-N15 wireless card, whilst I'm using my wireless print server to connect to the home wifi. I usually have both of these so when one drops out, the other is usually there to keep things picked up.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

It is meant to be like that.  Your only option is to try to make some changes to the router settings to limit his bandwidth so that there is some left for you, if your router even supports this.  If not you might consider purchasing one that does.

nah go one step further, change the router password and SSID

Its as easy as resetting the router to clear that up. Better be more discreet and limit the speed through QOS

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Limit his bandwidth to like 20kbps, some routers let you

nah go one step further, change the router password and SSID

Its as easy as resetting the router to clear that up. Better be more discreet and limit the speed through QOS

or not be an asshole and limit it to 50/50

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

lol you guys >_<

Many thanks for the responses, I will try and change it to 50/50

or not be an asshole and limit it to 50/50

Do I do this by going into the router settings? like typing in the router ip thingy in the browser address bar?

Do I do this by going into the router settings? like typing in the router ip thingy in the browser address bar?

idk i never had to

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

What router do you have?

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

What router do you have?

The Netgear Sky DG934G Router.

But don't worry about, it. I'll just make my brother turn off/down his download speed when it's causing problems for me. Many thanks!