Help with CPU temps / Voltage

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

I think it's because the top piece "blocked" the air coming out since I have the fans on the bottom of the rad blowing upwards through the rad out of the case, and I think that piece was blocking the air so it couldn't push all of it through, creating more heat!

possible, a grill like that can block a significant amount of air.

Hey guys, just installed my new motherboard, it's a Z97S SLI Krait Edition and I was going to overclock my CPU to the same settings as before, my CPU is a Intel Core i7 4790K and my previous overclock was 4.8 GHz @ 1.394V. And yes I know it's a high voltage, I couldn't change it so I thought I set it back to that clock and go from there and tweak it until I can get a better clock.

So I did, I set it on 4.8GHz and it automatically sets the voltage, but this time it changed the voltage to 1.351 instead of 1.394, so I was like "Yeah my new mobo is working" (or something like that) but when I tried a game out (GTA V) the temps were crazy high, on load they were like 80C all the time and max 90C, on my other mobo when I had a voltage of 1.394 the temps were at MAAAAX 79C and average of 68C while playing!

What is wrong guys? I cleaned the CPU block and CPU perfect and applied almost exactly the same amount of thermal paste as the last time! Also I am using a water cooled system so it shouldn't go this high..

Also, I can't change the voltage past 1.299, why is this? After going past 1.299 the voltage text just goes red and I can't apply it, and if I use 1.299 on 4.8 GHz it crashes before I can even log onto Windows (strange because it worked before on like 1.268V, for a while at least it started crashing after 30-40 min of gaming so I put it up to 1.280 and it worked better)

So yeah now I have no idea what to do, also the BIOS is updated and all the other drivers are up to date as well! if it matters I bought a new PSU today as well, using a Corsair RM850W

Thanks for the help guys! :)

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Make sure that any dynamic voltage options are turned off. If they are turned on, 1.35 is what you get at idle. The motherboard will then feed the cpu any voltage it (the cpu) requests. And cpus don't really care how hot they are running until they reach the hard coded throttling point.

@MorbidAngel btw please follow your topics ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Make sure that any dynamic voltage options are turned off. If they are turned on, 1.35 is what you get at idle. The motherboard will then feed the cpu any voltage it (the cpu) requests. And cpus don't really care how hot they are running until they reach the hard coded throttling point.

@MorbidAngel btw please follow your topics ;)

It is! I am using CPU-Z on my second monitor so I can see when I am playing what voltage it is! And it's strange that with 1.35V it goes to 90C but before it would barely go to 80C on 1.39..

And yes, I am ^^

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

It is! I am using CPU-Z on my second monitor so I can see when I am playing what voltage it is! And it's strange that with 1.35V it goes to 90C but before it would barely go to 80C on 1.39..

And yes, I am ^^

try reapplying thermal paste, that's our prime suspect since you moved the cpu. Maybe you either didn't clean the cpu well or it wasn't reapplied properly. Of course you may have messed the loop up somewhere during disassembly, too.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

try reapplying thermal paste, that's our prime suspect since you moved the cpu. Maybe you either didn't clean the cpu well or it wasn't reapplied properly. Of course you may have messed the loop up somewhere during disassembly, too.

Yeah I'll reapply it, I just tried again going back to 4.8 GHz and it went up to 100C on 2 cores and 95C on the other 2, that's crazy, I can't imagine a motherboard would do this, and the loop should be fine since my GPU is on 40C MAX under the same load (GTA V) as the CPU and my GPU is pretty overclocked..

Yeah I'll reapply it, I just tried again going back to 4.8 GHz and it went up to 100C on 2 cores and 95C on the other 2, that's crazy, I can't imagine a motherboard would do this, and the loop should be fine since my GPU is on 40C MAX under the same load (GTA V) as the CPU and my GPU is pretty overclocked..

It's probably not the motherboard, all IT can do is change voltage or clock speed.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's probably not the motherboard, all IT can do is change voltage or clock speed.

Yepp, I just changed the thermal paste, I think that was the problem since when I removed the CPU block it was just a thick small circle, but I am afraid that I used to much now since it was like ketchup = First there was nothing, then I pressed a little harder and there was nothing and I pressed a little harder and there was A LOT, but hopefully I got it pretty even and not to thick, gonna run Cinebench to see if it helped! :)

EDIT: Better, but still not good .. Gonna do it again tomorrow but even it out with a plastic card or something, this time the max temp was:

Core 1: 91C

Core 2: 98C

Core 3: 97C

Core 4: 83C

And those temps were at their max for like 1-2 seconds and it went back to about 70C, so since it worked better I can be sure it was the thermal paste! Last time I applied it, when I got the watercooling I applied a PERFECT amount .. And now I F'ed it up .. So annoyed now haha :/

EDIT2: Gonna start GTA V and see the temps.

Yepp, I just changed the thermal paste, I think that was the problem since when I removed the CPU block it was just a thick small circle, but I am afraid that I used to much now since it was like ketchup = First there was nothing, then I pressed a little harder and there was nothing and I pressed a little harder and there was A LOT, but hopefully I got it pretty even and not to thick, gonna run Cinebench to see if it helped! :)

waiting for the results ^^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If it was thick and it didn't spread, I would think that the block wasn't installed properly, not enough pressure on the socket.

waiting for the results ^^

Just played some GTA and surprisingly the temps were pretty good, around 60-75 depending on what I was doing, and with that voltage and being set to 4.8 GHz it's pretty good, but when I was in the city it sometimes rised up to 80C but went back down to an average of 70C, so it's better at least! Is it bad to change the thermal paste to often? I have a friend here who can help me change it again in like 10 min!

And then I can use the credit card trick to make it even! But my other friend said that it's not good to change it to often but he was not sure at all!

Also, should I wait after applying the paste before I do benchmarks and such? Or I can just fire it up instantly and try it out?

EDIT: Just ran Cinebench again and the temps are now around 90C instead of 98C or 100C! Still not as good as before though ..

If it was thick and it didn't spread, I would think that the block wasn't installed properly, not enough pressure on the socket.

Yeah but on each screw there is a little spring and when you install the block you screw the screws on until it doesn't turn anymore, so it's a pretty easy installation!

Yeah but on each screw there is a little spring and when you install the block you screw the screws on until it doesn't turn anymore, so it's a pretty easy installation!

Maybe push down in the middle of the block to help it spread (after installation), after that the springs should be enough to keep it in place.

It's not bad to change the thermal paste often if it's cleaned properly, it's just wasteful and unnecessary.

Just played some GTA and surprisingly the temps were pretty good, around 60-75 depending on what I was doing, and with that voltage and being set to 4.8 GHz it's pretty good, but when I was in the city it sometimes rised up to 80C but went back down to an average of 70C, so it's better at least! Is it bad to change the thermal paste to often? I have a friend here who can help me change it again in like 10 min!

And then I can use the credit card trick to make it even! But my other friend said that it's not good to change it to often but he was not sure at all!

Also, should I wait after applying the paste before I do benchmarks and such? Or I can just fire it up instantly and try it out?

EDIT: Just ran Cinebench again and the temps are now around 90C instead of 98C or 100C! Still not as good as before though ..

You can reapply thermal paste as many times as you like, as long as you are very careful not to damage the cpu and especially not the socket. I'm glad we found what was causing the issue, you can definitely work from here to shave off even more degrees. What paste are you using? Having quality paste can make the difference in cases like this.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Maybe push down in the middle of the block to help it spread (after installation), after that the springs should be enough to keep it in place.

It's not bad to change the thermal paste often if it's cleaned properly, it's just wasteful and unnecessary.

Yeah I did that this time, but the thing is I don't got any Isopropyl alcohol so I don't want to reapply it to many times, I lowered the clock to 4.6Ghz now and tomorrow I'll go get some alcohol and clean it and then reapply it carefully!

You can reapply thermal paste as many times as you like, as long as you are very careful not to damage the cpu and especially not the socket. I'm glad we found what was causing the issue, you can definitely work from here to shave off even more degrees. What paste are you using? Having quality paste can make the difference in cases like this.

Okay thanks for the answer man! :D Yeah now I know what the problem is, as I stated above I'll get some alcohol tomorrow and clean it real good and reapply it again! :) I have Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste, got it today with the new motherboard, last time I as using the paste that come with the CPU block! If it's not working tomorrow after cleaning and reapplying I'll do it again and try the old thermal paste! If it's not working then I'll take a hammer and smash my computer xD No but then I'll just leave it and call it a day :/

@Sauron: I couldn't wait, I hate waiting when I solve problems xD So I got angry because nothing is ever working, took some vodka, opened my case, removed the waterblock, cleaned the CPU and CPU block with some pure vodka, took a sip of vodka, used my old thermal paste that I got with the CPU block, fired up the computer, ran Cinebench!

Cinebench results:

4.8GHz with auto voltage (1.351 V)

These are MAX temps, and not the average!

Core 1: 80C
Core 2: 87C
Core 3: 86C
Core 4: 73C

This is so much better than the 100C that I got before, still high though but when I manage to tweak the voltage the temps will go down, and also this is benchmarking temperatures, gonna fire up GTA V now and see what the max temp lands on under heavy (gaming) load! :)

EDIT: GTA V had an average of 65-70C under heavy load, and 55-60 under normal load. And while peaking it reached 75 and at one point 80 for 2-3 seconds!

Just lowered the voltage to 1.297 and ran Cinebench again, these are the results

Core 1: 76C (-4C)
Core 2: 82C (-5C)
Core 3: 80C (-6C)
Core 4: 67C (-6C)

Haven't stress tested enough though, gonna do that now and hopefully it's stable at 1.297, the thing is I can just set it to 1.299 max in BIOS, after that I need to use auto and then it sets it to 1.351 automatically, so I can't test like 1.33 or anything .. Any idea why it does that?

EDIT2: 1.297 @ 4.8 not stable, voltage set back to auto and then I put the clock on 4.7GHz and the voltage landed on 1.249, temps aren't going over 75 while stress testing, going to stress test some more! :)
EDIT3: Last edit for today/tonight, 4.7 GHz @ 1.249V is stable, stress tested and tested while gaming, max temps are ~70C while gaming and never went over ~80 while benchmarking or stress testing! So I'm gonna go for this a while until I figure out how to change the voltage manually over 1.299!

-

vodka solves every problem...

not sure why it goes to auto on its own, there should be some sort of setting that prevents that from happening, but I have never had an MSI motherboard so I have no idea where it might be.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

vodka solves every problem...

not sure why it goes to auto on its own, there should be some sort of setting that prevents that from happening, but I have never had an MSI motherboard so I have no idea where it might be.

Haha yepp it does!

Yeah it's really frustrating since 1.310 and 1.351 is a big difference when trying to get a stable 4.8GHz with good temps, what temps should I be able to have for everyday use? Don't mind if I push it to the limit but when do I really want to stop?

Haha yepp it does!

Yeah it's really frustrating since 1.310 and 1.351 is a big difference when trying to get a stable 4.8GHz with good temps, what temps should I be able to have for everyday use? Don't mind if I push it to the limit but when do I really want to stop?

the general consensus is to stay below 80°C if at all possible, but technically the cpu can work just fine up to 96°C before it starts throttling. Going that high may cause motherboard vrms to overheat though.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the general consensus is to stay below 80°C if at all possible, but technically the cpu can work just fine up to 96°C before it starts throttling. Going that high may cause motherboard vrms to overheat though.

So let's say at some points when playing it reaches 83C for two seconds and then going back to 75C it would be fine?

Well, still need to figure out how to lower the voltage manually, right now I have it on 4.7GHz stable with 1.249V and the temps reach at MAX 70C while using Cinebench!

So let's say at some points when playing it reaches 83C for two seconds and then going back to 75C it would be fine?

Well, still need to figure out how to lower the voltage manually, right now I have it on 4.7GHz stable with 1.249V and the temps reach at MAX 70C while using Cinebench!

that should be perfectly fine, if you're worried just get an extra couple of fans in your case for better airflow on the motherboard.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

that should be perfectly fine, if you're worried just get an extra couple of fans in your case for better airflow on the motherboard.

I have VERY good airflow xD When I have 10% on the RPM it's room temp in my case and the GPU barely hits 43C while under heavy load and it's pretty OC'd :P The only thing getting hot is the CPU xD I really want to change the voltage manually, gonna make a thread about it and see if anyone can help me, if so maybe I can run the CPU on 4.8GHz which is what I really want it to be clocked at!

I have 6 fans in the case + the radiator and it doesn't matter if they run at 10% or 100% the CPU won't get any colder x)

Text

Seriously, I've been trying to 'fix' my computer the whole day since I out of no where got coil whine when I downloaded F@H so yeah now I have coil whine, turned the program off and it's at least a bit more quiet (f*cking 2 days old parts and coil whine you gotta be kidding me) so you can't hear it with the case side panel on, if you have F@H off for some reason.

Any ways it's been buggin' me out that I can't have my CPU on 4.8 and change the voltage to get better temps, because the voltage isn't what 'scares' me, it's the damn temps, so I've been trying to change the RMP of the fans and trying different stuff, and I removed the top cover on my case (Corsair 750D) if you don't know how it looks it looks like this: 

http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/5/7/5774_09_corsair_obsidian_750d_full_tower_chassis_review.jpg

So I did that and ran another benchmarks, I shit you not the temps were 4-5 degrees lower than before, I was like "WHAT THE ..." and I put up the fans to 50% on my fan controller, overclocked the CPU back to 4.8GHz @ 1.351V and bam, temps aren't going over 75 while playing, average is like 60-65 at the most, and when peeking really high two cores went up to 76 and 75, the other peaked at 71 and 67. And that was the 'worst' temps during my 1 hour gaming season, it was seriously not over 60 while just playing randomly.

So my temperature problem is solved (the clock is stable btw) so now I just have to figure out on how to manually change voltage, some guy helped me before but with no luck. But I don't care that much about the voltage since I won't have my CPU over more than a year or two and I don't think it's going to get destroyed before that with 1.351V.

On idle it's about 30 degrees and I have it dynamic so the voltage is only at 1.351 while gaming! 

Weird that the top case cover could do such wonders for me, I googled it and it has helped no one else (what I could find). 

So happy now that it works! Thanks for all the help you've giving me (and everyone else as well!)

Sorry for long post xD

-

glad you solved it ^^ it's possible that you had too much positive or negative pressure in your case and the top piece was blocking some airflow. You could try rearranging your fans or changing their orientation.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

glad you solved it ^^ it's possible that you had too much positive or negative pressure in your case and the top piece was blocking some airflow. You could try rearranging your fans or changing their orientation.

I think it's because the top piece "blocked" the air coming out since I have the fans on the bottom of the rad blowing upwards through the rad out of the case, and I think that piece was blocking the air so it couldn't push all of it through, creating more heat!

possible, a grill like that can block a significant amount of air.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*