Just been to the dentist.

blu4

Eyy LTTF,

I had to go to the dentist after some minor pain that started last week and began to increase in pain every day. The day before my visit I slept 2h max and I was on ketoprofen all day and that didn't exactly stop the pain. After my visit I was told that I had minor infection to my tooth nerve and than I might need a root canal treatment. My question is- did any of you had a similar problem with minor infection? I can't afford a private root canal because that is around 560 pounds. I'm not sure about the NHS, but other than that, the only other option is extraction. Any inputs from you guys/girls?

PS. Also taking amoxicillin 3 times a day for a week.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Is the infection random or happens after some specific thing?

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Wait, a root canal is 560 there? That's like over $1000CAD

My mom got hers done for $130

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Wait, a root canal is 560 there? That's like over $1000CAD

My mom got hers done for $130

In Europe Dental care prices are rampant,

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I've lost quite a few teeth (hiatal hernia caused lots of reflux, eating away the enamel) and most of the other ones had their nerves removed.  So I'm fairly familiar with the pain and the financial issues (although cost-wise it's better to have tooth problems here than in the UK and because I did see it coming I managed to adjust my health insurance plan accordingly.  still spent around £7-8K on mine over the years)

Having one or two molars pulled is not a big deal, but if it's an incisor or canine you'll need to get a fake tooth in order to look somewhat presentable.  Those tend to be as expensive as the treatment and often an annoyance for the wearer.  Not getting one makes you look poor and can even affect your chances to get a job.  So if it's a visible tooth, the root canal treatment is the cheapest option in the long run.

That being said, minor infections CAN disappear over time, but that's rare and you don't want to take that chance as they are more likely to become worse and spread to nearby teeth.

Nope, i didn't got to the dentist for years... I'm scared (i blame my previous dentist...)...

As for the price, look at going to some other country. Some people come here (Balkans, Romania...) to get their medical needs met, since it's a lot cheaper here (i don't know the price of that root canal treatment).  

Haven't had an infection yet, nor have I had any entire teeth fall out. My bottom molars are both cracked in half though(back half of each molar is missing. not sure how I'm not in agonizing pain, hope that holds out until I can afford to get work done)

My teeth are in horrible shape. I really don't understand why dental care isn't apart of normal health insurance, considering that bad teeth can effect your health negatively (causing heart attacks etc). I could have taken better care of my teeth, but with the way my wisdom teeth came in, it wouldn't have made a huge difference, the pressure has caused severe damage to several of my other teeth.

Will probably end up having to get dentures or implants. Hoping for implants. I do know this, whenever I get work done, they better put my ass under. No way am I going through that stuff awake, already went through it with getting my wisdom teeth ripped out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just checked the prices, and from what i can see, it's ~20-50 euros.

Also to add, my teeth are in a pretty bad shape... Aside from the fact that i have some slits in my 2 front teeth from all the sunflower seeds i ate (for a few years i ate 1kg average per week, sometimes even more). Most of my teeth don't have any fillings... They fell out a long time ago, and me being scared, never went to the dentist to get it fixed (and it's free, since here we get dental insurance)...

I'm debating of doing my teeth with a local anesthesia, so i can even get them done...

Is the infection random or happens after some specific thing?

Happened just one day and got worse..

I've lost quite a few teeth (hiatal hernia caused lots of reflux, eating away the enamel) and most of the other ones had their nerves removed.  So I'm fairly familiar with the pain and the financial issues (although cost-wise it's better to have tooth problems here than in the UK and because I did see it coming I managed to adjust my health insurance plan accordingly.  still spent around £7-8K on mine over the years)

Having one or two molars pulled is not a big deal, but if it's an incisor or canine you'll need to get a fake tooth in order to look somewhat presentable.  Those tend to be as expensive as the treatment and often an annoyance for the wearer.  Not getting one makes you look poor and can even affect your chances to get a job.  So if it's a visible tooth, the root canal treatment is the cheapest option in the long run.

That being said, minor infections CAN disappear over time, but that's rare and you don't want to take that chance as they are more likely to become worse and spread to nearby teeth.

It's the first molar so it wouldn't be a big deal but still, keeping the tooth would be nice.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

i have had a root canal and had it done but i think it was privately done not sure i was too young and if i had one word to say for it is that it SUCKED had to go back about 5 times as they have to let it heal over some time. if you go the NHS root (pun) it should be fine im mean thats what its there for also they do it all the time so it should be fine    

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Eyy LTTF,

I had to go to the dentist after some minor pain that started last week and began to increase in pain every day. The day before my visit I slept 2h max and I was on ketoprofen all day and that didn't exactly stop the pain. After my visit I was told that I had minor infection to my tooth nerve and than I might need a root canal treatment. My question is- did any of you had a similar problem with minor infection? I can't afford a private root canal because that is around 560 pounds. I'm not sure about the NHS, but other than that, the only other option is extraction. Any inputs from you guys/girls?

PS. Also taking amoxicillin 3 times a day for a week.

GO TO the NHS and get that fixed ASAP. The NHS is fine. The drugs you take orally will only alleviate the symptoms and treat it minimally. If you leave it it can become much worse as the infection spreads, it could lead to necrotic tissue and the deformation and weakening of the jaw as the bacteria eats away at it; if it travels to and through the pulp of your endodontics, entering the blood stream, it could lead to septicaemia, Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation leading to multiple organ failure and could be fatal.

I suggest you get it treated :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I had a root canal, it was fun, then I lost the tooth anyway. Here it cost around 100€ per canal, so it depends on the tooth, if you can afford it do it.

GO TO the NHS and get that fixed ASAP. The NHS is fine. The drugs you take orally will only alleviate the symptoms and treat it minimally. If you leave it it can become much worse as the infection spreads, it could lead to necrotic tissue and the deformation and weakening of the jaw as the bacteria eats away at it; if it travels to and through the pulp of your endodontics, entering the blood stream, it could lead to septicaemia, Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation leading to multiple organ failure and could be fatal.

I suggest you get it treated :)

From the x-ray I also saw the the tooth is a bit loose in the gum- you know, bit of black area under the two roots and the main bit. I am not sure if RTC will fix it?

Went the dentist first time in 7 years, first time i could afford it. Got filling put in now i can't chew gum on left side, calling tomorrow to see if they will redo them soon. Go have it checked out, talk to them see if they can do a payment plan, they care, they will normally try to work something out.

Went the dentist first time in 7 years, first time i could afford it. Got filling put in now i can't chew gum on left side, calling tomorrow to see if they will redo them soon. Go have it checked out, talk to them see if they can do a payment plan, they care, they will normally try to work something out.

Payment plan for a filling?

Payment plan for a filling?

8 fillings, i was talking about root canals for yourself.

8 fillings, i was talking about root canals for yourself.

I did look at that but if you go private you need to pay about 200 pounds upfront and then the rest on 0% finance. Still, NHS for 51 is better but...

I did look at that but if you go private you need to pay about 200 pounds upfront and then the rest on 0% finance. Still, NHS for 51 is better but...

that doesn't sound so bad, also im in America so our dental prices are different as is health care. Mine was 100-150 usd per filling.