Do you think nationalism is stupid?

I do.

A little bit of patriotism: Fine, not a big deal

But being proud of being born on a specific piece of land? You didn't do anything for it, how can you be proud of that? This goes for any person In any country.

Also it is a really dangerous social construct imo, serving only to divide people even further.

MAYBE being proud of the 'freedom' part of a country is.... Well that is Okay, but not ethnicity.

Yes. Very stupid.

I hate those people saying "We have the best music in the world!!" when they are talking about music artists from where they are from

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes. Very stupid.

I hate those people saying "We have the best music in the world!!" when they are talking about music artists from where they are from

But we do. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. ;)

And yes, I do think it's stupid. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Yes, I think it's silly. Taking pride in your place of birth is equvalent to taking pride in your height.

You had nothing to do with either, and they are both solely due random circumstances.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Yes. Very stupid.

Or immigrants who say 'hurrr best country in the world is my country' and they mean their country of origin. Meanwhile they live somewhere else.

Not at all.

Everyone should support their nation.

I (most likely) am moving to the UK when I'm done with uni, but there I'll still be portuguese and defend my nation.

Oh wait, this is about nationalism... :lol: Not patriotism. Lol

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

No.

Can you elaborate :P like, 'no' is clear, but want to know why.

But we do. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. ;)

And yes, I do think it's stupid. 

My response to people saying that would always be  "Oh, so you made that music yourself? No? I see..."

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

theres nothing wrong with being proud you're from the country you were born in.

the catch with nationalism is that it comes with feeling superior over other countries, which might have caused at least two mild disturbances in history.

Not at all.

Everyone should support their nation.

I (most likely) am moving to the UK when I'm done with uni, but there I'll still be portuguese and defend my nation.

But what makes you feel that need? If you were born German you would support Germany. Of you were born Polish you would support Poland and so on and so forth.

The piece of land is not you. It is not your identity.

It's totally important.

If nationalism didn't exist, the world we know it would be TOTALLY different. It has played a huge part in semi-modern history.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

It's totally important.

If nationalism didn't exist, the world we know it would be TOTALLY different. It has played a huge part in semi-modern history.

It did. And what did we gain? Mostly anguish.

But what makes you feel that need? If you were born German you would support Germany. Of you were born Polish you would support Poland and so on and so forth.

The piece of land is not you. It is not your identity.

I edited the post... :lol:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I edited the post... :lol:

Ah okay :D

It's a little more complicated then whether it's stupid or not. In honestly depends on what kind of nationalism.

It's totally important.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but does that mean you like nationalism just because it has played a huge part in history?

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

nationalism is good, it keeps things like eating orange pies on king's day coming

Hey, I love 'tompouche' too, but that isn't nationalism, that is patriotism I believe.

Actually no. Nationalism is a little more complex than that.

Nationalism kind of reminds me of the feudal system. Like why am I proud to be an American if I did nothing to become an American? It's because we are taught to be proud of our country so our governments can use us to their own advantage and call it "nationalism"

Same way in the feudal system taught the serfs to fight for their lord's land and property even though it actually does not benefit them.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

Anguish?

It has led nations to take pride in themselves. To seek self-determination, and prosper.

If it never existed the world would still be under Monarchies and Aristocraties.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.