new phone. galaxy alpha ? one m8 ? lumina phone ? help me choose !

givingtnt

so yeah. im looking at 3 different phones, well 2 : the one m8 and the galaxy alpha. + maybe perhaps a lumina phone with windows 10 ? (im not usre what model tho) and maybe the zenfone2 when I try it.

wich one would you reccomend ? and why ?
im looking for a phone wiyth a decent camera, better than my iphone 4 :P 

I don'T care about expantion of capacity ir battery replacement. thanks !

max price id go for is around 300$.

thanks !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

why not buy a iphone 6 or samsung s6 while you are at it anyways :)

else i would say you should go with the m8 because it became linus´s daily driver xD

One M8. Much better than the Alpha.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

so yeah. im looking at 3 different phones, well 2 : the one m8 and the galaxy alpha. + maybe perhaps a lumina phone with windows 10 ? (im not usre what model tho) and maybe the zenfone2 when I try it.

The Alpha is one of my favorite phones out of all the ones that I've used. The M8 has the epic speakers, but if you're not going to use them much, I'd take the Alpha over the M8 any day.

"Rawr XD"

One M8. Much better than the Alpha.

Much better? Only in terms of audio. 

Slightly better? Only in terms of screen, the MicroSD card slot, and overall feel in the hand.

However everything else I do have to admit Alpha is better. And I'm quite biased towards HTC.

"Rawr XD"

Heyyo,

why not buy a iphone 6 or samsung s6 while you are at it anyways :)

else i would say you should go with the m8 because it became linus´s daily driver xD

Please read the first post completely before posting...

Especially this part:

max price id go for is around 300$.

thanks !

Now, based on his inquiries? is that $300 CAD on or off contract? It'll make a big difference in costs. Also, if on contract, which carrier? Telus? Bell? Wind Mobile? other?

The M8? Ehh, camera is spotty tbh... I had a HTC One M7 and I didn't like the camera tbh... that ultrapixel thing is definitely the achilles heel of the HTC One M7 & M8...

What about the Sony Xperia Z1 or Z2? Is that available in Montreal? It's got a strong processor, dust and water resistant (IP certified) and has a good camera. Sony is known for their smartphone cameras as Sony Exmor sensors are used in many brands just like my OnePlus One. The Sony Exmor RS in the Xperia lineup is fantastic. The Z2 is definitely better than the Z1 with the front facing speakers.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Please read the first post completely before posting...

Especially this part:

Now, based on his inquiries? is that $300 CAD on or off contract? It'll make a big difference in costs. Also, if on contract, which carrier? Telus? Bell? Wind Mobile? other?

The M8? Ehh, camera is spotty tbh... I had a HTC One M7 and I didn't like the camera tbh... that ultrapixel thing is definitely the achilles heel of the HTC One M7 & M8...

What about the Sony Xperia Z1 or Z2? Is that available in Montreal? It's got a strong processor, dust and water resistant (IP certified) and has a good camera. Sony is known for their smartphone cameras as Sony Exmor sensors are used in many brands just like my OnePlus One. The Sony Exmor RS in the Xperia lineup is fantastic. The Z2 is definitely better than the Z1 with the front facing speakers.

off contract. and I tryed the xperia and I just didn't like it.

im with telus

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I just got the M8 and I am really liking it, Speakers are great, really fast and feels really nice in the hand, the camera isn't too good unfortunately, capable of a decent picture but nothing special.

M7 (given that you didn't have one with the pink camera issue, mine did) was better then the M8 tbh... M8 added the Duo Camera but actually removed OIS.

im with telus

Presumably you're buying second hand from the likes of Kijiji, in that case I'd still go with Alpha, it seems to be slightly cheaper second-hand then the M8 but the resale value of the M8 seems to depreciate faster, as more people care brand wise about Samsung then HTC.

If you're able to wait towards the end of the month there's also the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3, if it comes to Canada.

"Rawr XD"

Heyyo,

im with telus

Fair enough. $300 CAD off contract in Canada will make it a little harder to find though unless you find a really good used phone deal... [EDIT] I quoted a Nexus 5 pre-owned below which is better than the Asus Zenfone 2 entry-level-version which is ok that price range unless you know someone selling a used phone for $300 CAD I guess. For $300 CAD it's pretty much 2013 flagship phones you'll be looking at. For $500 CAD is 2014 flagship phones like the One M8 or Galaxy S5 and such and then newer models or bigger phablets and stuff are $700 CAD up to current flagships.

http://search.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=zenfone+16GB

Those Asus Zenfone 2's are the starter versions. The ones with the faster Intel Atom 2.3GHz CPUs and 4GB of RAM everyone talks about are $400 CAD.

The camera is serviceable much like the M8's camera is serviceable.. it'll do fine for Facebook picture uploads since they get compressed anyways, but if anything? It'll only be on-par with the iPhone 4s's camera... 

M7 (given that you didn't have one with the pink camera issue, mine did) was better then the M8 tbh... M8 added the Duo Camera but actually removed OIS.

That's true, but tbh OIS didn't seem to work the greatest for me especially when taking photos up close of things like receipts and such.

Yeah the Pink camera is a terrible hardware issue. I bought mine as a Telus refurbished unit so I'm guessing mine had the pink camera and got replaced with a revised camera which is why two years ongoing mine still works fine.

Actually? Telus has the Nexus 5 pre-owned for $300.00 CAD off contract here:

https://shop.telus.com/preowned_nexus_5.php

It's got a faster processor than the entry-level-version of the Asus Zenfone 2 and is a well built device by LG. The camera will be better than the M8's (not by much mind you)... but only has 16GB internal storage with no MicroSD card expansion so you'll have to think over that one. Depending on your useage? 16GB could fill up fast...

Presumably you're buying second hand from the likes of Kijiji, in that case I'd still go with Alpha, it seems to be slightly cheaper second-hand then the M8 but the resale value of the M8 seems to depreciate faster, as more people care brand wise about Samsung then HTC. Looking at Kijiji in my town? I see a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or a Galaxy S4 for $300 CAD... Note 3 would be pretty baller for $300 CAD tbh... maybe check Kijiji in your area? Might get lucky.

If you're able to wait towards the end of the month there's also the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3, if it comes to Canada.

That would be lovely... but maybe they're having issues with VAT fees like OnePlus did when they had to take down their sales to Canada for over five months to try and get paperwork figured out?

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Fair enough. $300 CAD off contract in Canada will make it a little harder to find though unless you find a really good used phone deal... [EDIT] I quoted a Nexus 5 pre-owned below which is better than the Asus Zenfone 2 entry-level-version which is ok that price range unless you know someone selling a used phone for $300 CAD I guess. For $300 CAD it's pretty much 2013 flagship phones you'll be looking at. For $500 CAD is 2014 flagship phones like the One M8 or Galaxy S5 and such and then newer models or bigger phablets and stuff are $700 CAD up to current flagships.

http://search.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=zenfone+16GB

Those Asus Zenfone 2's are the starter versions. The ones with the faster Intel Atom 2.3GHz CPUs and 4GB of RAM everyone talks about are $400 CAD.

The camera is serviceable much like the M8's camera is serviceable.. it'll do fine for Facebook picture uploads since they get compressed anyways, but if anything? It'll only be on-par with the iPhone 4s's camera... 

That's true, but tbh OIS didn't seem to work the greatest for me especially when taking photos up close of things like receipts and such.

Yeah the Pink camera is a terrible hardware issue. I bought mine as a Telus refurbished unit so I'm guessing mine had the pink camera and got replaced with a revised camera which is why two years ongoing mine still works fine.

Actually? Telus has the Nexus 5 pre-owned for $300.00 CAD off contract here:

https://shop.telus.com/preowned_nexus_5.php

It's got a faster processor than the entry-level-version of the Asus Zenfone 2 and is a well built device by LG. The camera will be better than the M8's (not by much mind you)... but only has 16GB internal storage with no MicroSD card expansion so you'll have to think over that one. Depending on your useage? 16GB could fill up fast...

Presumably you're buying second hand from the likes of Kijiji, in that case I'd still go with Alpha, it seems to be slightly cheaper second-hand then the M8 but the resale value of the M8 seems to depreciate faster, as more people care brand wise about Samsung then HTC. Looking at Kijiji in my town? I see a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or a Galaxy S4 for $300 CAD... Note 3 would be pretty baller for $300 CAD tbh... maybe check Kijiji in your area? Might get lucky.

That would be lovely... but maybe they're having issues with VAT fees like OnePlus did when they had to take down their sales to Canada for over five months to try and get paperwork figured out?

im able to find some of the nexus 5's for 270$ i ill look into that. I donT' want a note 3-4. I was looking into them. but they are huge. so yeah. if only it was smaller. then id buy it for sure.

im able to find the one m8 for 300$ here too. the alpha is around 30-40$ pricier. but i can probably negociate. so yeah.

thanks for the help !

im able to find some of the nexus 5's for 270$ i ill look into that. I donT' want a note 3-4. I was looking into them. but they are huge. so yeah. if only it was smaller. then id buy it for sure.

im able to find the one m8 for 300$ here too. the alpha is around 30-40$ pricier. but i can probably negociate. so yeah.

thanks for the help !

Honestly M8 and Alpha are worth the $30-50 over the Nexus 5. 

"Rawr XD"

Looking at Kijiji in my town? I see a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or a Galaxy S4 for $300 CAD... Note 3 would be pretty baller for $300 CAD tbh... maybe check Kijiji in your area? Might get lucky.

Note 3 is much better then S4, if both were for $300 it's a no brainer. Here in Calgary though S4 goes for around $200-240 while Note 3 goes for around $320-350. I'm on Kijiji buying and selling phones all the time and there are noticeable shifts in the market. If I find a good deal on a phone I'll most likely get it just to try it out for a bit then sell it in hopes of getting profit, which I usually do, I make good money off of it. Which is why I've been through so many phones (full list on my profile), and why it drives my friends and parents crazy that I have a different phone literally every week or two.

Also did OnePlus actually take down their sales to Canada for a while? If so I'm not surprised. I bought three of them about a month after launch expecting a good deal but then got hit with a shitload of VAT, taxes and duties on delivery from DHL that I did not know about when ordering. $100 CAD for the three.

"Rawr XD"