Laptop for College

Stigs

Hi guys. I'm gonna be looking to get a laptop soon because I will be going to college in August.  I will be an engineering student.  Still deciding between computer/electrical engineering and mechanical engineering.  For whatever I choose, I know I'm going to need a PC that has a decent amount of power for work on programs such as Solid Works and/or Autodesk inventor as well as other CAD type programs.  And I know this is asking for a lot, but I also want to be able to play games on it.  The screen really doesn't need to be more than 1080p, and I'm think 15"/15.6" is a good size.  I can bring a monitor with me to use in my dorm if I feel I require a bigger screen.  I like the Razor Blade series seems nice, but I'm not sure it that would be enough for my needs.  If anyone has anything from brand suggestions to specific laptop suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: Budget max: $2500

Preferred budget: $2000

2nd EDIT: So I've found a few laptops that I like that I'd like to get your opinions on.  MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-606, Gigabyte P35Wv4-Bw2, and Sager NP8652 (Clevo P650SG). Does anyone have an opinion on any of these? Thanks!

Budget? When you say Razer Blade sounds like your budget is huge

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

i can back the 15" decision for school, its the perfect size to carry around.

it fits in almost any backpack, and is still big enough to have a decent screen size.

(also, the college i went to had desks that seemed to be made for a 15" laptop with a mouse next to it)

Budget? When you say Razer Blade sounds like your budget is huge

Sorry. I just added my budget in the original post.

A Clevo P650SE is nice. Slightly under an inch, tri-fan cooling, a 970M for you to play with, more or less portable, tons of storage for you to play with, and a max of 32GB of RAM.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

A Clevo P650SE is nice. Slightly under an inch, tri-fan cooling, a 970M for you to play with, more or less portable, tons of storage for you to play with, and a max of 32GB of RAM.

Seems nice. I've never heard of the brand though.

Hi guys. I'm gonna be looking to get a laptop soon because I will be going to college in August.  I will be an engineering student.  Still deciding between computer/electrical engineering and mechanical engineering.  For whatever I choose, I know I'm going to need a PC that has a decent amount of power for work on programs such as Solid Works and/or Autodesk inventor as well as other CAD type programs.  And I know this is asking for a lot, but I also want to be able to play games on it.  The screen really doesn't need to be more than 1080p, and I'm think 15"/15.6" is a good size.  I can bring a monitor with me to use in my dorm if I feel I require a bigger screen.  I like the Razor Blade series seems nice, but I'm not sure it that would be enough for my needs.  If anyone has anything from brand suggestions to specific laptop suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: Budget max: $2000

Preferred budget: $1500

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Touchscreen-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00J06F4BK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432498493&sr=1-3&keywords=razerblade

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Seems nice. I've never heard of the brand though.

for the most part ..we aren't gonna recommend the standard retail crap brands here

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

its kinda like this

you don't hear lamborgini very often compared to like toyota or ford or something

but I doubt anyones gonna say a ford is better then a lamborgini.or some other high end brand

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

• 1 month later...