Mark Zuckerberg says video games can help kids become programmers

TwistedDictator

1000509261001_1822909398001_BIO-Biograph

Mark Zuckerberg credits video games with getting him into programming, and he thinks they could help others kids, too. Last week, the Facebook CEO held a town hall Q&A at the company's headquarters in Menlo Park, California, where he fielded questions on Oculus Rift, moderating hate speech, and his birthday celebration. When asked about his favorite video game (Civilization), Zuckerberg described how being exposed to games at an early age encouraged him to experiment with technology.

"I made a lot of games for myself, and they were terrible," Zuckerberg said of his childhood experience with gaming. "But this was how I got into programming."

"I hear a lot that parents are concerned about their kids playing games, and there are valid concerns and I think that there's an important debate to be had around that," he continued. "But I do think that if you're a parent and you don't let your children use technology, but also want them... to be open to [a career in programming], then I actually think giving people the opportunity to play around with different stuff is one of the best things you can do... I definitely would not have gotten into programming if I hadn't played games as a kid."

Source

I can agree with Mark, this was part of the reason why I wanted to start. I wanted to learn to code to make applications but then pushed to learn how to use CryEngine (which was a killler) lol I ended up moving away from programming as I started doing Computer Science and kind of disliked it due to the "learning experience". With games its kind of crazy as you do somthing and you get to see how it changes the output. People would want to end up making their own games and soon they would have an interest somewhere down the line which they might pursue.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

nb4 every minecraft addicted 12 year old uses this as an excuse to never leave their room.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

nb4 every minecraft addicted 12 year old uses this as an excuse to never leave their room.

I just posted it. There is no way you read most of that in less then a few seconds so this just indicates that  you only read the title.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Kind 'a lol.

There are dozens of 'programmers' already today, but maybe 1/10 is a good one.

The only reason why - programmer has to have a good math education.

I just posted it. There is no way you most of that in less then a few seconds so this just indicates that  you only read the title lol.

so because you can't read quickly you assume everyone else can't? You didn't post a fucking novel.

Kind 'a lol.

I know a few people that was not great at math before they started programming but become really good by learning how to program.

so because you can't read quickly you assume everyone else can't? You didn't post a fucking novel.

I'm not trying to you cant read, I am trying to say you only read the title. If someone did read they would of took more the 10 seconds to read and make a decent comment. You just rushed and made a comment within seconds lol

Slick:

Kind 'a lol.

I'm doing calculus in college as part of my HND, easy to be a code monkey and smash out some code. harder to construct a massive formula for a game or whatever.  

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I'm not trying to you cant read, I am trying to say you only read the title. If someone did read they would of took more the 10 seconds to read and make a decent comment. You just rushed and made a comment within seconds lol

I didn't post it instantly and how do you define a decent comment, I just said what I thought was one of the obvious side effects of MZ saying this. What did you want me to say, "Oh I totally agree x friend of mine blah blah blah" seriously?

Oh Suckerberg. Go home, you're drunk.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

"I made a lot of games for myself, and they were terrible," Zuckerberg said of his childhood experience with gaming.

Yet he made Facebook, and it's still terrible. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Yet he made Facebook, and it's still terrible. 

well then my good sir, are you perhaps the youngest self-made billionaire?

oh wait that's Zuckerberg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

well then my good sir, are you perhaps the youngest self-made billionaire?

oh wait that's Zuckerberg

Never said that he wasn't a genius for marketing and products, was stating my opinion of fb. If I can have one that is.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You don't need good math education, just great reasoning, logic, and problem solving skills. Level 2 algebra is basically all you need.

not for the more complex stuff :P 

You don't need good math education, just great reasoning, logic, and problem solving skills. Level 2 algebra is basically all you need.

:P sounds exactly like math

Ladies, ladies, LADIES... you're both ugly.

:lol:

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Nothing new with this. Games have been a great source for education since time immemorial.

Am I the only one who can't see a picture of zuckerberg without getting the sudden and involuntary urge to punch the screen?

Seriously, that face has "punch me in the head" written all over it.

OnTopic: I share the sentiment, but urge people to stop working for that worm.

Why do you need an excuse?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

so you too.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Someone tell Mr. Zuckerberg that video games can also lead to high blood pressure when you are trying to beat the Frieza Saga on Dragon Ball Xenoverse, but you are forced to play as Captain Ginyu and his skills downright suck, and Krillin is constantly dying before you can kill the 20 guys required to beat the mission. 

I mean, that never happened to me. I just know a guy.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

not if you want to get a decent paying job programming 

Kind 'a lol.

Not really.

I work as programmer .

The UK changed the UK national curriculum so kids as young as 8 are taught very basic programming, the hope is by high school the good coders will be identified and can be nurtured through school and higher education.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Didn't even have to read it to know he's talking about games in so many of his comments lately, because he wants to align himself with gaming with the Rift release imminent.

He's still a douche. 

Old zukkie rehashing out shit I (and most people) figured out when were nine years old playing mine craft on our $400 laptops. Truly paradigm shifting.

And also, why is he saying this, what's his motivation?

- snip-