Help finding PCI Express power cable.

mckrackin5324

I need a power cable from my PSU to my graphics card.

This is proving to be harder to find than I thought.

My card is an EVGA GTX 960 with a 6 pin connection.

My PSU is a Lepa 550M Maxbron...universal I think.

I have the cable but the one they included is for SLI or Crossfire and the unused plug hanging there bugs the crap out of me.

Thanks

I have the cable but the one they included is for SLI or Crossfire and the unused plug hanging there bugs the crap out of me.

Thanks

Follow your topics. Your PSU has 6+2 which is normal for a cable. You can buy an extension like this one http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Sleeved-Extension-Connector-PP07-IDE6B/dp/B00B46XJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432274483&sr=8-1&keywords=6pin+extension

and hide your cable further back in the case.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Follow your topics. Your PSU has 6+2 which is normal for a cable. You can buy an extension like this one http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Sleeved-Extension-Connector-PP07-IDE6B/dp/B00B46XJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432274483&sr=8-1&keywords=6pin+extension

and hide your cable further back in the case.

Thanks.

My cable has TWO 6+2 ends. Three 8 pin connections total. That's what bugs me.

I just want one cable.

I find the extensions everywhere. Some nice ones.

Are there no cables with just one 6 pin connection?

Your problem being? What's the question?

Just this^^^

Would like a power connection with a single 6 pin male on each end.

One for the PSU and one for the GPU.

Just this^^^

Would like a power connection with a single 6 pin male on each end.

One for the PSU and one for the GPU.

psu's use non standard plugs in them

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

psu's use non standard plugs in them

OK but there has to be a cable made for a single GPU...Right?

It is.. It's just bundled with the extra two pins because some GPUs use a single 8 pin connector. It's cheaper this way. Your PSU doesn't have any other cables for this, just the two 6+2 pin cables for it. Like it or leave it I guess?

It is.. It's just bundled with the extra two pins because some GPUs use a single 8 pin connector. It's cheaper this way. Your PSU doesn't have any other cables for this, just the two 6+2 pin cables for it. Like it or leave it I guess?

I could live with the 6+2 end....It's the second 6+2 end dangling from the card that bugs me.lol...

It only came with the one cable. Like it or leave it indeed :P

EB47C290-D7DD-4FDE-89F2-91B95B289C19_zps

Thanks

Get a sleeved extension cable.

I could live with the 6+2 end....It's the second 6+2 end dangling from the card that bugs me.lol...

It only came with the one cable. Like it or leave it indeed :P

Ahhhhh, now I get what it means. Usually when it lists what cables it has the second 6+2 would be it's own cable... You can snip it off (while the system is turned off) but you'll be shooting yourself in the foot later if you need it. Or get a different power supply.

Ahhhhh, now I get what it means. Usually when it lists what cables it has the second 6+2 would be it's own cable... You can snip it off (while the system is turned off) but you'll be shooting yourself in the foot later if you need it. Or get a different power supply.

It's a modular supply. Surely there's a single cable somewhere.lol...

It's a modular supply. Surely there's a single cable somewhere.lol...

You want one of these bitfenix extension cables. The link below is a UK store but Bitfenix cables are sold in most pc shops. You can find where they are sold on bitfenix website.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-003-BX&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=2660

Or they also do a 6+2 extension

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-056-BX&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=2660

You want one of these bitfenix extension cables. The link below is a UK store but Bitfenix cables are sold in most pc shops. You can find where they are sold on bitfenix website.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-003-BX&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=2660

Or they also do a 6+2 extension

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-056-BX&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=2660

I want a single cable. no extension. 

It's already three feet long.lol....Less cable in the case is the goal. 

Appreciate it though. 

I'm gonna cut it and splice one together with Anderson Power Poles. 

Just pop the pins out of the connecter, cut off the extra connector and wire as close as you can to the crimps, then reinsert them back into the connecter. Problem solved.

Your PSU manufacturer will either make one... or they wont. As previously mentioned, most PSUs use non-standard plugs on the PSU end.

If they cant supply a single connector cable, you can either buy wire and molex atx pins and make your own with existing connectors, or buy an extension and hide the mess in the back.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

What pins are used on the PSU side?

If they are molex ATX pins (like the plug on the other end for the graphics card), you could buy a single 6+2 PCIe cable from a company like Corsair, then use an extractor tool to remove the connector from the PSU end of the Corsair cable, and then put the connector from your original cable onto the corsair cable. You would have to ensure that the pin-out (order of wires) are connected the same as your original cable because between brands of PSUs they will most likely be different.

This option would avoid splicing wires.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

I Found It !!!

Went in search of a pin extracting tool and some DIY connectors.

That search led to modDIY.com who had the cables I wanted...and the tools and parts to make my own.

They even had a crimping tool for $40 that I bought elsewhere for $60.lol....Mine is a little nicer since it has a jig to hold the connectors in place :P

I'm a Tri-Crimp user B)

EDIT...I gave $38 for my Tri-Crimp...So there.lol...