"Nvidia Disappointed that Witcher, Cars "Tainted by False Allegations""

MegaDave91

Apologies if it is not thorough as this is literally the first news topic I've made.

Source: http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/1950-nvidia-disappointed-in-amd-false-allegations

This is a screenshot I took of the game at 4K w/ ultra settings using a Titan X. The image from the article pales. 

O0Ndz68.jpg

The Witcher 3's bombastic launch included bonus, spill-over fanfare surrounding the use of nVidia's GameWorks middle-ware in Project Cars. AMD spewed fire, telling Ars that GameWorks “completely sabotaged” AMD's performance, further stating “it's wrecked our performance, almost as if it [were] put in to achieve that goal.” This implication of an nVidia-branded torpedo to AMD's performance garnered attention on reddit and other social networks, following a week of similar postings related to Project Cars. We decided to do some of our own research.

First, it's worth noting that we've already invested countless hours into graphics testing in The Witcher 3, and we're still conducting further settings performance analysis for every option.

Talking to NVIDIA

NVidia told us in a statement:

“We did not prohibit CD Projekt Red or Slightly Mad Studios from working with other IHVs to optimize their game or any GameWorks features. We did not prohibit CD Projekt Red or Slightly Mad Studios from adding technologies from other IHVs to their games.

GameWorks source code is available to licensees. We provide source code, under license, to developers who request it. Licensees can’t redistribute our source code to anyone who does not have a license.

We dedicated engineering resources, technologies and NVIDIA personal to help CD Projekt Red and Slightly Mad Studios make their games better for GeForce gamers. Both games are spectacular achievements. Their reviews are outstanding. It is very disappointing that they are being tainted by false allegations of unethical behavior.”

The classic, "I didn't do it" routine. Who is to believe? Obviously Nvidia would not admit (if allegations are in fact true) to preventing AMD from optimizing on their side. How can AMD optimize if they do not have a license for the source code? On the other hand, this is a package Nvidia licences to any developer who wishes to use it. No developer should feel obligated in any way. You snooze you lose, AMD?

I don't view "Hairworks" as being a critical, game-changing feature anyway. Both AMD and Nvidia users should disable it to experience the wonderful increase in performance.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

all i know is I don't have issues with Project Cars on my AMD GPU and they do not have a lot of spending cash to use to help on small games like project cars.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

What if Nvidia didn't prevent AMD from optimizing it on their side, but instead AMD just didn't bother with it that much?

(I'm sure some of you will give me shit for that, so no replies to this will be answered :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

we didnt force them too just moved an undisclosed sum and gave them a small recommendation..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What if Nvidia didn't prevent AMD from optimizing it on their side, but instead AMD just didn't bother with it that much?

(I'm sure some of you will give me shit for that, so no replies to this will be answered :P)

Here have this shit = "shit"

lol

But I agree, AMD lacks the budget to get its optimizers to get tp work on stuff

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

SO CD Projekt Red is saying GET REKT AMD USERS?

Here have this shit = "shit"

lol

But I agree, AMD lacks the budget to get its optimizers to get tp work on stuff

wth dude? lack of budget? dude amd source codes are open source! any developer can optimize their game for amd without amd help. 

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

How about they fix it instead of bitching about how they didn't do it when they did?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Hey, this all might be true, the problem is we will likely never know what really is going on.

Well when you have hordes of people spewing lies on things they don't know about, no wonder.

Almost every benchmark uses HBAO+ and Hairworks, which is naturally going to run like ass on AMD hardware. 

The ones that don't show the 290X running about the same as a 970, which is expected given the optimization work NVIDIA put into it. 

xtSr4F2.jpg?1

Still don't understand why any of that is THIS big of a deal.  Sure gameworks is a controversial competitive tactic by NVIDIA, but they're options that wouldn't exist without NVIDIA creating them, and they can be turned off.  NVIDIA putting time into optimizing their cards for a game shouldn't be an issue.  NVIDIA taking time to optimize their custom graphical settings for their cards is something you may not like, but better optimization is always better.

Seriously, did anyone expect NVIDIA custom made settings to run exceedingly well on AMD hardware?  And does anyone honestly have that much of an issue with NVIDIA working to optimize games for their hardware?  Just because a game runs better on an NVIDIA card doesnt mean AMD was sabotaged, and just because a benchmark shows an AMD card running like shit doesn't mean the idiots putting the benchmark together took off NVIDIA optimized settings.

I still don't get this debate. 

We do not forbid it, we just don't provide the source code which amounts to the same fucking thing.

Dear god both AMD and Nvidia are so fucking retarded in this argument. Here's my proposal: A game about people that were all irradiated so none of them have fucking hair. Done I just solve your fucking controversy, let's move the fuck on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Almost every benchmark uses HBAO+ and Hairworks, which is naturally going to run like ass on AMD hardware. 

The ones that don't show the 290X running about the same as a 970, which is expected given the optimization work NVIDIA put into it. 

xtSr4F2.jpg?1

Still don't understand why any of that is THIS big of a deal.  Sure gameworks is a controversial competitive tactic by NVIDIA, but they're options that wouldn't exist without NVIDIA creating them, and they can be turned off.  NVIDIA putting time into optimizing their cards for a game shouldn't be an issue.  NVIDIA taking time to optimize their custom graphical settings for their cards is something you may not like, but better optimization is always better.

Seriously, did anyone expect NVIDIA custom made settings to run exceedingly well on AMD hardware?  And does anyone honestly have that much of an issue with NVIDIA working to optimize games for their hardware?  Just because a game runs better on an NVIDIA card doesnt mean AMD was sabotaged, and just because a benchmark shows an AMD card running like shit doesn't mean the idiots putting the benchmark together took off NVIDIA optimized settings.

I still don't get this debate. 

Well to start why this is such a big deal, Nvidia effectively crippled their kepler cards, as you can see in the benchmark you so helpfully posted. The 780 is actually 2 frames slower than the 960, same with the 770 and 780ti. So why should I believe that Nvidia didn't purposely sabotage AMD card performance with their gameworks. It's funny how almost every game that has had gameworks in it has turned out to be a shitshow when it comes to performance. Let's not even mention how Nvidia keep trying to lock out people from overclocking their gpu's on the mobile side. I've lost absolutely all trust in Nvidia these past few months

I'm just about done with this whole game that is being played. (not witcher)

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

We do not forbid it, we just don't provide the source code which amounts to the same fucking thing.

Dear god both AMD and Nvidia are so fucking retarded in this argument. Here's my proposal: A game about people that were all irradiated so none of them have fucking hair. Done I just solve your fucking controversy, let's move the fuck on.

or helmets like they used to do back in the day...

or helmets like they used to do back in the day...

Nah radiation victims are better cause you can also have bald wolves and monsters so we don't get any fucking hair on anybody at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well NVidia pretty much states this: Anyone with a license can see the source code. So how many believe AMD has a license? Would NVidia not just state that they do, if it was the case?

HairWorks is very poorly optimized, but at least it's only dependant on DX11, which is why you can run it by lowering tessellation multiplier.

Many other GameWorks effects, uses APEX though (advanced PhysX). That is much much worse.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Oh god.....there isn't enough popcorn in the WORLD for this argument.

Somebody.....just shut them both up FFS

Best f**king response to this bullsh*t EVER

From now on, all games will be populated with people suffering radiation poisoning. Call it a tribute to the victims of Chernobyl and Fukushima.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

yeah but radiation mutation tentacles can be hairworks powered :(

WHY?! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT?!

Well...shit.

I know right? He ruined EVERYTHING.

From now on, all games will be populated with people suffering radiation poisoning. Call it a tribute to the victims of Chernobyl and Fukushima.

The metro series would be a good place to start but it would probably be a Gameworks game. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

The metro series would be a good place to start but it would probably be a Gameworks game. 

I love that series. I know one of their people said something about "sandbox" last year, hoping for a sandbox (like fallout) version of the Metro series sometime soon. Would be amazing. All the awesome intensity of a radiated wasteland, but with none of the ridiculousness and humor of the fallout series.

I love that series. I know one of their people said something about "sandbox" last year, hoping for a sandbox (like fallout) version of the Metro series sometime soon. Would be amazing. All the awesome intensity of a radiated wasteland, but with none of the ridiculousness and humor of the fallout series.

humour? after playing a few hours of fallout 3 I swear I came out clinically depressed...

It is a good series and they can still make another. 

Spoiler