Is this a good cpu/motherboard combo for my GTX 970?

Hello! So I recently got the the GeForce SC ATX GTX 970 but I know that my cpu will bottleneck it a bit. I'm looking to upgrade both of them currrently I have a amd FX-4300 and a 78LMT-S2. After looking around for a bit I thought i would go for a i5 4460 and the ASUS z97-A board. If you guys had any other suggestions for a new cpu or motherboard i'd be happy to hear them!

There's not much point in the Z97 board unless you plan on SLI. 

What's your budget? And location. You may be able to get a better combination. 

There's not much point in the Z97 board unless you plan on SLI. 

What's your budget? And location. You may be able to get a better combination. 

Hmm I don't plan in the near future to go to SLI. My budget would probably be about $300 max. CA,USA is my location.

For all intents and purposes, you cannot overclock a non K cpu, meaning you don't need a Z board either. The cpu is fine, but get yourself an H97 board instead.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

That CPU shouldn't bottleneck the GPU at all but I would still recommend upgrading your choice to the 4690K if you don't mind spending just a bit more money. Especially if you're going with that motherboard which can handle overclocking like a champ. Otherwise I would recommend saving even more money and downgrading your motherboard to an h97 chipset, should work just as well for games and suits your processor better.

Handing out TechRx's

That CPU shouldn't bottleneck the GPU at all but I would still recommend upgrading your choice to the 4690K if you don't mind spending just a bit more money. Especially if you're going with that motherboard which can handle overclocking like a champ. Otherwise I would recommend saving even more money and downgrading your motherboard to an h97 chipset, should work just as well for games and suits your processor better.

So I would be better off going for the i5-4460 and asus H97-pro gamer if i'm not going to OC

EDIT: I have a local buddy of mine who could sell me the Z97 cheaper than the H97 would I still rather want to go for the H97?

So I would be better off going for the i5-4460 and asus H97-pro gamer if i'm not going to OC

EDIT: I have a local buddy of mine who could sell me the Z97 cheaper than the H97 would I still rather want to go for the H97?

get the z97 and an unlocked processor  :D

i have a z97m board and an i3..you can imagine the itch to try and overclock

Hello! So I recently got the the GeForce SC ATX GTX 970 but I know that my cpu will bottleneck it a bit. I'm looking to upgrade both of them currrently I have a amd FX-4300 and a 78LMT-S2. After looking around for a bit I thought i would go for a i5 4460 and the ASUS z97-A board. If you guys had any other suggestions for a new cpu or motherboard i'd be happy to hear them!

for $300 I like this combo.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BHQdvK

Don't worry about a cooler for now, just keep it at base clock till you get a cooler.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

I5 4690k plus asus z97 pro gamer

sli csn be done next time.

note that sli 970 is very powerful it kills 980 at performance anytime. Unless you aiming for titan x.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3