Nvidia re-blocked Overclocking silently in the latest drivers for the 900M series graphics card

GoodBytes

No no, I meant, You buy laptop that fit your needs. It's great for 3 years. Then games gets more demanding, and you waiting for a new model from a manufacture, say to get the latest AMD/Nvidia GPU, so in mean time, you take the chance to overclock your GPU to continue to play games either better or reach 30fps.

Oh lol, I was wondering why that didn't make sense to me. Like who buys a new laptop every year haha. Now I get what you were trying to say and I agree

Keep also in mind guys that Nvidia is ONLY responsible of the GPU. Any other components that connects the GPU, including the voltage controller and so on (unless it is a MXM module card, then it is the whole card, if it is Nvidia building the entire card)

It is not ASUS, MSI, Dell, etc that blocks overclocking, it is Nvidia.

Keep also in mind guys that Nvidia is ONLY responsible of the GPU. Any other components that connects the GPU, including the voltage controller and so on (unless it is a MXM module card, then it is the whole card, if it is Nvidia building the entire card)

It is not ASUS, MSI, Dell, etc that blocks overclocking, it is Nvidia.

And that's the annoying part, Nvidia appears to have utterly no clue as to how some companies design and build gaming laptops.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

what about manufacturers who overbuild the cooling on their laptops to allow people to overclock or do a factory overclock themselves

gtx 960 has a 128bit bus..i've seen some improvements when memory is overclocked..

is it the same for laptops (960m)? and would memory overclock add to increased thermals?

noob here  :D

i guess if it's locked again, then good luck trying to squeeze out more from that 960m

Users should be allowed to overclock their hardware, is not that everybody will do it, but damn, options are good.

Hell, you could destroy your CPU if want using the bios, not everybody will do it, but the option is there lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

and if said user overclocks and the chips can't handle it, they blame Nvidia for allowing users to overclock unsafely. 

When does that happen ever? I've not once heard someone melt their chip from overclocking a laptop (Heck it shouldn't be possible. Overheat protection would kick in. Or if clock is too high, it'll just crash/bsod. GPU won't die).

Pretty much anytime someone even THINKS about overclocking they ask on forums with threads like "help i want to overclock, is it safe, will my laptop have less lifespan" etc etc. Inexperienced user to my knowledge always thinks overclocking is extreme and unsafe. Even if they love to yolo they'll get frustrated and give up when they try to skim through guides on how to overclock mobile gpu's.

People who do actually overclock their laptop gpu, to me knowledge, has always been people who knew what they were doing like knowing they got temperature headroom.

Because blowing your power delivery on a laptop is fun! Or god forbid sparking off your power brick. 

Even though I would expect power bricks to feature some sort of safety measures, I would still not take the chance

And as someone else mentioned here, even though the CPU and GPU can handle the increased temps, it is not certain that other components might be able to

Well... it really sucks. I like to overclock the GPU on my laptops, i did it with my ati mobility hd 4530 (did an overclock from the stock 500MHz to 700Mhz on the core... witch resulted in about 35fps in AC2 running at very high settings without AA @ 720p). I also overclocked my gtx 860m (+ 135 on the core) and got like 5 fps in almost every game (it really makes a difference).

The unbeatable gaming laptop with TurboMaster overclocking

G751 is an unbeatable gaming laptop thanks to its 4th-gen Intel® Core™ i7 processor and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX graphics, with TurboMaster technology for stable GPU overclocking and ROG AudioWizard-enhanced audio for immersive gaming. Its intelligent dual-fan cooling system keeps everything cool even in the heat of battle, and special keys let you access Steam or share memorable gaming moments with the world!

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JT/

Asus even advertise overclocking on their laptop as a feature. So i believe that nvidia should leave it to the manufacturers to decide whether the laptop should support overclocking or not and how would they handle their warranty.

you can upgrade your gpu after 2-3 years for only 500-600 dollars instead of buying a new laptop. Just like how people will upgrade their components with a desktop instead of buying all brand new components.

Only? I wouldn't call it only. For the money manufacturers ask to replace the GPU (talking from experience with HP and Toshiba), you can save money for half a laptop or even a whole laptop. Not joking here. Wanted to upgrade from Mobility x1600 on my 10 years old HP to Quadro 1500m (which is still worse than hd4650m), they asked $1070, and not joking here. I would show you the email but deleted it almost year ago.  :unsure:

Then I had a Toshiba L500-126 with hd4650m for almost 5 years, it could barely run anything so I decided to OC it, (Tomb Raider 2013 on 720p low was playable). After 1 year the GPU died. I knew it was gonna happen, not sure if it was due to OCing but it might be (even before OCing I ran the poor thing pretty hard all the time). I went to a shop, they repaired it (there is some sort of technique) for $30. It was good for half a year then it broke again. They couldn't repair it this time and said it was gonna cost at least $200-300 (for the hd4650m) if they even find the GPU. It was my fault and it was time to buy a new one so I did. Now why did i OC it? It was running pretty bad as it but the temps were fine, they went up a few C but nothing special. Does that mean I am gonna OC my 850m? Absolutely not. When gaming it runs ~ 80-82C (that is the CPU), so I don't wanna add up any more heat to the laptop. I almost bought a G750JM, and that would be something to OC the shit out of.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Even though I would expect power bricks to feature some sort of safety measures, I would still not take the chance

And as someone else mentioned here, even though the CPU and GPU can handle the increased temps, it is not certain that other components might be able to

Assuming that is the case, because you decided to buy the GTX 980M SLI with a Core i7 8 core CPU laptop for 400$, because you went specs over anything else (something that many, sadly, do), in what way does it affect Nvidia? If anything, it would be the laptop manufacture. Where the GPU would be fine in itself, meaning the manufacture can't knock on Nvidia doors to file an RMA on their side, the GPU is fine, it is the other components. Many of them asks for "special SKUs" already, they COULD have asked for blocking overclocking, but they didn't and don't.

Most manufacture/models do block CPU overclocking however, although, much like Nvidia, you can overclock it via software level. You can download and install Intel Extreme Tuning Utility from Intel website, and overclock. Heck, for the longest time, Nvidia had its own tool. It wasn't the best and didn't give you voltage control, but you could do it.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-system-tools-6.08-driver.html

They stop working on it since the 600 series graphics, so if you have that, or newer, it won't work.

So my question remains, why now? Why the change? It's not like the GPU is super hot these days, if anything it is much more power efficient then ever.

Assuming that is the case, because you decided to buy the GTX 980M SLI with a Core i7 8 core CPU laptop for 400$, because you went specs over anything else (something that many, sadly, do), in what way does it affect Nvidia? If anything, it would be the laptop manufacture. Where the GPU would be fine in itself, meaning the manufacture can't knock on Nvidia doors to file an RMA on their side, the GPU is fine, it is the other components. Many of them asks for "special SKUs" already, they COULD have asked for blocking overclocking, but they didn't and don't.

I think its more of a 'we want users to buy laptops with newer GPU's' thing. Apart from its power consumption I've got a friend who is quite happy to game on his overclocked 860M - even if the quality has to be bumped down slightly they can still have loads of extra performance squeezed out of them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Only? I wouldn't call it only. For the money manufacturers ask to replace the GPU (talking from experience with HP and Toshiba), you can save money for half a laptop or even a whole laptop. Not joking here. Wanted to upgrade from Mobility x1600 on my 10 years old HP to Quadro 1500m (which is still worse than hd4650m), they asked $1070, and not joking here. I would show you the email but deleted it almost year ago.  :unsure:

Then I had a Toshiba L500-126 with hd4650m for almost 5 years, it could barely run anything so I decided to OC it, (Tomb Raider 2013 on 720p low was playable). After 1 year the GPU died. I knew it was gonna happen, not sure if it was due to OCing but it might be (even before OCing I ran the poor thing pretty hard all the time). I went to a shop, they repaired it (there is some sort of technique) for $30. It was good for half a year then it broke again. They couldn't repair it this time and said it was gonna cost at least $200-300 (for the hd4650m) if they even find the GPU. It was my fault and it was time to buy a new one so I did. Now why did i OC it? It was running pretty bad as it but the temps were fine, they went up a few C but nothing special. Does that mean I am gonna OC my 850m? Absolutely not. When gaming it runs ~ 80-82C (that is the CPU), so I don't wanna add up any more heat to the laptop. I almost bought a G750JM, and that would be something to OC the shit out of.

You can buy mobile gpu's and their respective heatsinks online from suppliers if you know where to look. You can replace my Sager's 870m with a 970m for around $700 with heatsink and all. Here's the link to that: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/vgas%281%29ec. I'm not saying it's the optimal thing to do but it's cheaper than buying a brand new laptop with the same specs. Never go to the manufacturer, they will charge you a shit ton to upgrade your part or just flat out say that it isn't possible (which in some cases it isn't).

You can buy mobile gpu's and their respective heatsinks online from suppliers if you know where to look. You can replace my Sager's 870m with a 970m for around $700 with heatsink and all. Here's the link to that: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/vgas(1)ec. I'm not saying it's the optimal thing to do but it's cheaper than buying a brand new laptop with the same specs. Never go to the manufacturer, they will charge you a shit ton to upgrade your part or just flat out say that it isn't possible (which in some cases it isn't).

Can a 870m be replaced with 970m? I mean are they even conpatible? I rememember they have to be some special type (I forgot which).

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can a 870m be replaced with 970m? I mean are they even conpatible? I rememember they have to be some special type (I forgot which).

I believe some mobile GPUs use the MXM standard.

So my question remains, why now? Why the change? It's not like the GPU is super hot these days, if anything it is much more power efficient then ever.

This ^^^, why not before two or three years ago ?? what happened ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650