EVGA GTX 970 with EK-FC970 ACX waterblock and EVGA original backplate?

Hi guys,

I bought 2 MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr 2 weeks ago just to find out that one of the PCBs is longer than the other (more details in this post). Like the OP on that post, I also contacted MSI with the same result: they don't give a damn and told me to go away and ask the retailer to fix it.

As I think that it's not the retailers responsibility, since MSI is selling both PCBs under the same SKU/Product Name and there's no way to actually distinguish the cards apart (just buy 2 and hope for the best), I decided to sell my MSIs and get a graphics card from someone else. I will probably get most of my money back as the price just went up.

I'm thinking on getting the EVGA NVIDIA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 along with the EK-FC970 NVIDIA GTX 970 ACX block, and my question is:

Would I be able to use that block with the original EVGA blackplate? or do I have to use the EK's blackplate?

I really prefer EVGA's backplate for the looks.

Thanks in advance.

This card is compatible with the waterblock you're looking at.

For the backplate I can't promise it would work but for sure, you would have to provide longer screws and probably bore the mounting holes on the backplate.

Hi Luc,

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm not really interested in drilling, so I might just get EK's backplate.

Quick question, I noticed the waterblock is sold out on EK's website, does this mean you won't have more stock for a while? The retailer I'm buying from is saying they will receive it next week, but I wonder.

Kind Regards

Hi Luc,

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm not really interested in drilling, so I might just get EK's backplate.

Quick question, I noticed the waterblock is sold out on EK's website, does this mean you won't have more stock for a while? The retailer I'm buying from is saying they will receive it next week, but I wonder.

Kind Regards

No it's usually a matter of days for the recent waterblocks when they show with a "No Stock" icon.

• 4 weeks later...

hello I was wondering if you happened to know if these water blocks will fit on any 970 or just the Evga 970's

Hi guys,

I bought 2 MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr 2 weeks ago just to find out that one of the PCBs is longer than the other (more details in this post). Like the OP on that post, I also contacted MSI with the same result: they don't give a damn and told me to go away and ask the retailer to fix it.

As I think that it's not the retailers responsibility, since MSI is selling both PCBs under the same SKU/Product Name and there's no way to actually distinguish the cards apart (just buy 2 and hope for the best), I decided to sell my MSIs and get a graphics card from someone else. I will probably get most of my money back as the price just went up.

I'm thinking on getting the EVGA NVIDIA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 along with the EK-FC970 NVIDIA GTX 970 ACX block, and my question is:

Would I be able to use that block with the original EVGA blackplate? or do I have to use the EK's blackplate?

I really prefer EVGA's backplate for the looks.

Thanks in advance.

ek just made a block for the version 1.3 about 3 days ago they said its available  now  its a bit too late for most of us i ditched my plans for sli when i had 2 different board layouts for the same gpu .

they did change the sku but you really need to pick at the seller to get it .for microcenter it shows up on there system when they unpack them the invoice that something is off but gpu boxes and there computers say its the same card even thou its really different. amazon is if its not the one you want return and we re send til you get the one you want if your prime member , which is stupid . newegg is go screw off if you ask more then can my psu handle it

hello I was wondering if you happened to know if these water blocks will fit on any 970 or just the Evga 970's

the evga block mostly only fits that card or ones from evga that use the same pcb unless is reference pcb which then if its a reference  board any brand using that one it will fit  so msi gtx 970 g4 fits only the g4 v1.1/2 not v1.3 which has a different block. you would have to check ek's site they have there cooling configator that you put your card info in and it will spit out if there is a block for your card and which one you need to buy

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

ek just made a block for the version 1.3 about 3 days ago they said its available  now  its a bit too late for most of us i ditched my plans for sli when i had 2 different board layouts for the same gpu .

they did change the sku but you really need to pick at the seller to get it .for microcenter it shows up on there system when they unpack them the invoice that something is off but gpu boxes and there computers say its the same card even thou its really different. amazon is if its not the one you want return and we re send til you get the one you want if your prime member , which is stupid . newegg is go screw off if you ask more then can my psu handle it

the evga block mostly only fits that card or ones from evga that use the same pcb unless is reference pcb which then if its a reference  board any brand using that one it will fit  so msi gtx 970 g4 fits only the g4 v1.1/2 not v1.3 which has a different block. you would have to check ek's site they have there cooling configator that you put your card info in and it will spit out if there is a block for your card and which one you need to buy

Hey,

Many thanks for letting me know. For anyone interested here's the press release: http://www.ekwb.com/news/604/19/EK-releases-new-block-for-latest-revision-MSI-GeForce-GTX-970/

No it's usually a matter of days for the recent waterblocks when they show with a "No Stock" icon.

Luc, one thing EK forgot to mention is if the block for Rev 1.3 aligns with the previous block i.e. can we use a SLI bridge connector if we have a 1.1 and 1.3 cards?

Thanks in advance,

I just noticed that a Bridge/Link is not compatible with the new waterblock, but the big question remains: if are the TF5 and TFX blocks aligned so that the tube going from one to the other won't be crooked?

I'll get back at you about this.

And about the incompatibility with the bridge/link, the description is this "EK-FC Bridge & Link system is not compatible with this water block"

The EK-FC Bridge system is an older system from a few years ago.

The Link (or EK-FC Link) system is the one with all the circles that we previously had and the is still used for the OriginalCSQ blocks.

The EK-FC Terminal system of bridges is totally compatible with this block.  ;)

sweet thank you for your help. 

I just noticed that a Bridge/Link is not compatible with the new waterblock, but the big question remains: if are the TF5 and TFX blocks aligned so that the tube going from one to the other won't be crooked?

After further checks, you won't be able to connect a EK-FC970 GTX TFX and a EK-FC970 GTX TF5 together with a bridge.  They won't align.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got a good deal on the EVGA ACX 2.0, and got the EK-FC970 GTX ACX for it. The EVGA backplate fits the card, but the 4 GPU screws change from 4 outer holes for stock to the 4 inner holes for block. The backplate only has cut-outs clear for the outer screw heads. Tried boring with tiny drill then larger but the new holes have to cut a little into the old ones so it's near impossible to stop the drill slipping in and messing up the plate. Plate starts to melt quickly too. EVGA backplate now in bin with a big angry bend in it :( Shame lovely looking plate! Also none of the blocks' or stock screws are long enough to reach the card through the backplate.

Hope this helps someone!