ZF2 vs S5 showdown

Tadgh

Upon the unfortunate loss of my Moto G2, I had to go back to using a broken S3. Kill me now oh cruel gods above. But hold up, I'm working this summer. So it's looking like I'm actually gonna have some money to spend for once! 

Time for shopping fun :) I've decided on a budget of about 350 euro, but I'm flexible in both directions for better value, and I need your advice! I love the look of the Asus Zenfone 2 - I'm really excited to possibly purchase one. But I could buy an S5 on ebay, and there are a number of promising mid-range smartphones coming out right now, and I would imagine there's more to come. 

I'm stuck :( What would you think is the best deal for my ca$h? My preferences are as follows:

I love big screens. People complain about fablets, but 5.5 inches is ideal for me - I have very large hands and I like to leave my phone sitting on a stand on my desk.

I need storage. I'd be looking at the 4GB/64GB varient of the ZF. I could go as low as 16GBs if the deal was right and expandable storage was present.

I hate cold tints on screens. I really do. If I can control hue and saturation it's okay but the m9 for example would kill me.

Software/UI can be poor, I'll install a launcher if needs be, but it needs double-tap to wake.

Build quality needs to be solid. Full stop.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

(Current contenders: HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5, ASUS Zenfone 2, OnePlus One)

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

I would get Oneplus One if I were you. Zenfone has meh battery and meh software. Screen is pretty meh too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I would get Oneplus One if I were you. Zenfone has meh battery and meh software.

I had looked at the Oneplus before and spent a while considering it. I always felt that it was kind of ugly looking. Does it have double-tap to wake?

Sleepy: |  R7 1700@ 3.7GHz (NHD-15) | MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic | GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1080 | 16GB of RAM | 8TBs of HDD | 128GB SSD| S340 Tempered Glass | XFX 550w Bronze 80+ PSU | 40" 4K panel, and 3 1080p bois

I had looked at the Oneplus before and spent a while considering it. I always felt that it was kind of ugly looking. Does it have double-tap to wake?

It does. I think OPO looks better than S5.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It does. I think OPO looks better than S5.  :lol:

Okay well you've put it onto my list of contenders B)

Now, why should I buy the OnePlus? ;) Convince me

Okay well you've put it onto my list of contenders B)

Now, why should I buy the OnePlus? ;) Convince me

Zenfone is bulkier than OPO while having worse screen and battery, it was meant to be 200 eur smartphone and it performs like that. OPO is much better all round because it was meant to be flagship.

Camera on OPO is also better, you can see in this comparison how much zenfone tries to sharpen the image http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=2&idPhone1=6327&idPhone2=6917

Spoiler

Zenfone is bulkier than OPO while having worse screen and battery, it was meant to be 200 eur smartphone and it performs like that. OPO is much better all round because it was meant to be flagship.

Feedback taken! Thank you! 

I've made a little list at the bottom ordered by preference that I'll continue to update, the OPO is winning marginally now :)

What about a note?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Feedback taken! Thank you! 

I've made a little list at the bottom ordered by preference that I'll continue to update, the OPO is winning marginally now :)

Let's be honest, if you look at the design side by side zenfone looks cheap af.

Spoiler

Let's be honest, if you look at the design side by side zenfone looks cheap af.

Funnily enough, I was literally just looking at this - and I agree, but then I far prefer the design for back and sides, both in looks and ergonomy. 

I'm torn again. The OPO is a contender now but I'm not sold just yet .-.

What about a note?

Hmmm... I'm not sold on the design :/

For anyone similarly torn between the OPO and ZF2 this is a good article:

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/asus-zenfone-2-vs-oneplus-one-head-head-review-632882

Hmmm... I'm not sold on the design :/

Thats why I chose htc. Take a look at the one m8, not a super camera but its enough, great speakers, design, quality, software, speed, screen (maybe too small for you)

Thats why I chose htc. Take a look at the one m8, not a super camera but its enough, great speakers, design, quality, software, speed, screen (maybe too small for you)

I hadn't even considered (being the fool that I am ;) ), I just took a look online and there are m8 refurb units going for 250 euro! That's a significant saving for a student ;) 

I'm willing to pay for the best, but I've always wanted an m8 - and it's a big saving for what is probably a tiny compromise. How's your m8 standing up to the tests of time? Could you recommend it?

I hadn't even considered (being the fool that I am ;) ), I just took a look online and there are m8 refurb units going for 250 euro! That's a significant saving for a student ;)

I'm willing to pay for the best, but I've always wanted an m8 - and it's a big saving for what is probably a tiny compromise. How's your m8 standing up to the tests of time? Could you recommend it?

IMO it is the best (unless you want a bigger screen than 5in but I don't). 

No problems. No lag, nothing, its just awesome. Only "bad" thing it has is the camera but it doesn't bother me, its good imo and I put build quality and its materials before the camera. My gf has an m7, that one laggs when opening chrome or when you have multiple apps open but thats what you can expect, every phone gets slower with time. No matter if iphone or android. 

So yes, take a good look at it. And sony xperia phones?

IMO it is the best (unless you want a bigger screen than 5in but I don't). 

No problems. No lag, nothing, its just awesome. Only "bad" thing it has is the camera but it doesn't bother me, its good imo and I put build quality and its materials before the camera. My gf has an m7, that one laggs when opening chrome or when you have multiple apps open but thats what you can expect, every phone gets slower with time. No matter if iphone or android. 

So yes, take a good look at it. And sony xperia phones?

The screen size and camera are both concerns for me, but at 2014 flagship quality (even if not that good a flagship camera ;) ) and a mere half an inch below what my probable optimum would be, I'll certainly take a look. 

Do you find it slippy or hard to hold? I mean, I LOVE the way the thing looks but I would be worried about it being slippy or harsh. 

I will! Thank you! No I've never owned nor considered owning an xperia. I've looked at their line-up many a time and not once has of their phones tempted me into a near-purchasing decision.

The screen size and camera are both concerns for me, but at 2014 flagship quality (even if not that good a flagship camera ;) ) and a mere half an inch below what my probable optimum would be, I'll certainly take a look. 

Do you find it slippy or hard to hold? I mean, I LOVE the way the thing looks but I would be worried about it being slippy or harsh. 

I will! Thank you! No I've never owned nor considered owning an xperia. I've looked at their line-up many a time and not once has of their phones tempted me into a near-purchasing decision.

Some say its slippery and I agree but I never worried about dropping it because of that so I say don't worry about it (I prefer the m7's sides tho but that doesn't mean the m8's are shit)

The M8 is still a solid phone, I'd been using one as a backup phone to my Note 3. I liked it a lot, but after a brief experiment, I'd decided to sell it since it was still going for a high price. I'd recently gotten an M8 for my girlfriend, she'd hinted that her Glaxy 2 was......acting up. Like the feel of it in my hands, there's an oh so premium feel with its all metal body. I've since swapped my Note 3 with a bud of mine for his LG G Pro 2 and have also gotten a ZF2 32GB 4GB RAM version, its screen is similar to my G Pro 2 in that it uses IPS screen instead of the Super Amoled on the Note 3. Initially, found the color a tad washed out, but have since adjusted to it, in fact, playing movies resulted in more natural looking image than the highly saturated color on the Super Amoled screen. If you're thinking of getting it and saving yourself some cash, go for it! ;)

I'm now using the ZF2 as my backup phone and I must say, its performance is good. I've not experienced any lack at all, other than using HD Player which scanned the movie files stored in a 64GB microSD card causing the phone to lack badly till the scan was done. I've since uninstalled that player and have installed VLC player and it's silky smooth now. My usual go to software player  which is MX Player doesn't play nice with the ZF2, resulting in severe stuttering when playing a video (ripped 720P at 2mbps/2.5mbps bit rate optimized for Android phones). So far, I can say the ZF2 keeps up well against my G Pro 2, may even exceed it in certain apps and such. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Honestly, I'd take the OPO or S5 over the Zenfone 2 any day. ZF2 is too overhyped.

"Rawr XD"