AMD Addresses Witcher 3 And Project Cars (Catalyst 15.5 Driver Fix)

Opcode

Tbh I've never really had any problems with BF4, to this day it's still one of my favorite games, it's gotten much better than it was at first although I never had any issues in the first few months after it was released.

My friends were having tons of issues with it though.

BF4 was just a netcode disaster that needed 8 months to resolve, which was pretty fucking shocking if we are honest. 

I think he meant it as a comparison. AMD is to Hairworks as NVIDIA is to TressFX. That is, it's the same situation. TressFX ran better on AMD cards and HairWorks works better with NVIDIA cards.

The performance difference between TressFX and Nvidia is much smaller than it used to be.  It's almost entirely non-existent.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The performance difference between TressFX and Nvidia is much smaller than it used to be. It's almost entirely non-existent.

Yeah after the fix nvidia cards actuality ran better with tressfx enabled thx to their superior tessellation power.

The game runs great and the pictures already very good on my setup with everything on ultra and even HBAO+ enabled except Hairworks.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

BF4 was the shitstorm of 2013, if they blamed Nvidia for that.... wowowow I would burn my copy of BF4. It's on origin so idk how.

Apart from the SLI texture flickering which was patched, I thought BF4 run well on Nvidia.

Before that, BF3 was sponsored by both AMD and Nvidia, it is the only game I seen both AMD and Nvidia logos on the CD box and it ran well on both.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Apart from the SLI texture flickering which was patched, I thought BF4 run well on Nvidia.

Before that, BF3 was sponsored by both AMD and Nvidia, it is the only game I seen both AMD and Nvidia logos on the CD box and it ran well on both.

Which simply adds weight to the argument that when either company gets involved and helps a dev the game runs without issue.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Which simply adds weight to the argument that when either company gets involved and helps a dev the game runs without issue.  

Only if BOTH are helping, not one of them. BF3 set the foundation for BF4. And there is still the case of AMD cards running badly on Nvidia-sponsored games, while Nvidia cards running well on AMD-sponsored games.

Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc despite beign AMD-sponsored games all run well on both AMD and Nvidia, no AMD proprietary software with the exception of TressFX on Tomb Raider which did got a performance fix for Nvidia GPU eventually.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Currently testing this myself: it works. I used to take a 15 to 20 FPS hit dropping from solid 60 to 40-45 with dips below to mid 30s. I just did max tessellation 8x and now have hairworks on with only a 3 to 5 FPS hit

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm just tired of seeing the name "Witcher 3"......that, and I was looking for an excuse to use that .gif again lol (it makes me laugh. It seems to say "I care so little, I'm going to day dream for a bit")

This forum was flooded when GTA V came out and you didn't get annoyed then?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Hairworks kills the experience, even on nvidia cards.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

It's been 160 days since the Last WHQL Driver from AMD... This is just bloody sad. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Currently testing this myself: it works. I used to take a 15 to 20 FPS hit dropping from solid 60 to 40-45 with dips below to mid 30s. I just did max tessellation 8x and now have hairworks on with only a 3 to 5 FPS hit

Wow, that's a massive improvement for something which doesn't look visibly worse. Hope they patch the game with this in-menu. (provided their licensing terms allow them to do so).

Hairworks kills the experience, even on nvidia cards.

The thing is Hairworks doesn't even affect AMD gpu's more than 1-5 frames depending on tessellation levels.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Tress FX has been open sourced ,nvidia can optimize for it

i wish if nvidia did the same for gameworks

TressFX is pretty good on Nvidia cards according to some members here.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

So does this prove it really was AMD's fault and not Nvidia's?

The thing is Hairworks doesn't even affect AMD gpu's more than 1-5 frames depending on tessellation levels.

You'd be quite surprised.

Tessellation x64

witcher3-2015-05-21-03-24-40-03.bmp

Tessellation x16

witcher3-2015-05-21-03-26-09-28.bmp

Tessellation x8

witcher3-2015-05-21-03-36-46-92.bmp

graph_2.png

Little to no visual quality differences meanwhile an ocean of performance points. It's Crysis all over again.

So does this prove it really was AMD's fault and not Nvidia's?

CD Projekt released a statement saying that they cannot optimize it for AMD cards? What does that mean?

Does it mean that they are not allowed to decide the optimal tesselation level? Or is it something far less sinister?

I don't know because the statement is ambiguous and non-technical in nature. Below is the exact comment.

"Many of you have asked us if AMD Radeon GPUs would be able to run NVIDIA’s HairWorks technology – the answer is yes! However, unsatisfactory performance may be experienced as the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products."

CD Projekt released a statement saying that they cannot optimize it for AMD cards? What does that mean?

Does it mean that they are not allowed to decide the optimal tesselation level? Or is it something far less sinister?

I don't know because the statement is ambiguous and non-technical in nature. Below is the exact comment.

"Many of you have asked us if AMD Radeon GPUs would be able to run NVIDIA’s HairWorks technology – the answer is yes! However, unsatisfactory performance may be experienced as the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products."

Clearly it's nvidia's fault for not letting AMD optimize hairworks on their product. LOL.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Wow, that's a massive improvement for something which doesn't look visibly worse. Hope they patch the game with this in-menu. (provided their licensing terms allow them to do so).

Kind of an update on that: still doesn't likes people. Like if it's just geralt and a few npcs it's ok but any sort of town or tavern and it drops even though the rest of my settings are so it doesn't drops below 50s or so even on densely populated areas.

But if I'm out in the wild works ok. I think with optimization it might just become usable all the time

-------

Current Rig

-------

Only if BOTH are helping, not one of them. BF3 set the foundation for BF4. And there is still the case of AMD cards running badly on Nvidia-sponsored games, while Nvidia cards running well on AMD-sponsored games.

Tomb Raider, Hitman, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc despite beign AMD-sponsored games all run well on both AMD and Nvidia, no AMD proprietary software with the exception of TressFX on Tomb Raider which did got a performance fix for Nvidia GPU eventually.

The only one common denominator seems to be that if AMD are involved then AMD cards will perform well and if Nvidia are involved then Nvidia cards will perform well. Meaning the best way to ensure a game works on a specific brand is to have that manufacturer help with the game. Otherwise it comes down to a multitude of possibilities including but not limited to GPU architecture, raw performance, dev's attention to detail in API's, driver optimization and choice of middleware.

Clearly it's nvidia's fault for not letting AMD optimize hairworks on their product. LOL.

Not really, it is an ambiguous statement, that means by its very nature the meaning is not clear. It is just as possible that the reason it can't be optimised is because the driver needs to be updated before the code can be optimized. And driver updates are AMD responsibility. Given this thread is about AMD addressing issues with their cards we may very well see a resolution to this. I am erring on the side of the dev's (from most reports) at the moment who, if I may paraphrase, are saying that it is the nature of the beast and while nvidia middleware could be used to cripple AMD cards, it is

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you can do liek they did to me, give my password to someone one else. let them buy a game, then ban me.

I broke your signature, that thing is quite addictive..

x16 tessellation would be fine. I feel like Nvidia keeps pushing it because they invested so much die space in their fast Polymorph setup and know AMD went shader-heavy instead.

Not really, it is an ambiguous statement, that means by its very nature the meaning is not clear. It is just as possible that the reason it can't be optimised is because the driver needs to be updated before the code can be optimized. And driver updates are AMD responsibility. Given this thread is about AMD addressing issues with their cards we may very well see a resolution to this. I am erring on the side of the dev's (from most reports) at the moment who, if I may paraphrase, are saying that it is the nature of the beast and while nvidia middleware could be used to cripple AMD cards, it is

Then why don't devs simply disable Gameworks options when NVIDIA hardware isn't present? It would save all of them alot of trouble - like they said, they cannot optimize it for AMD hardware, neither can AMD... so why give, litteraly, the option for a underperforming, subpar, experience?

x16 tessellation would be fine. I feel like Nvidia keeps pushing it because they invested so much die space in their fast Polymorph setup and know AMD went shader-heavy instead.

Exactly the case here. We all know what happened with a certain FPS game that had a whole tesselated ocean being rendered under the map.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Then why don't devs simply disable Gameworks options when NVIDIA hardware isn't present? It would save all of them alot of trouble - like they said, they cannot optimize it for AMD hardware, neither can AMD... so why give, litteraly, the option for a underperforming, subpar, experience?

Because gameworks may not be the issue.  As I said, their could be lots of reasons.  Given that AMD are announcing they are releasing driver updates to optimize the game from their end, it sounds just as likely to be a driver issue as it is anything else.