Used Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 or another fast sub $300 lens?

Go to solution Solved by bob345,

will this be your only lens? if so, i would go with a zoom lens. It might not give the same kind of quality as a prime, but it will be much more versatile. If you go with a cheap zoom. Go with the new 18-55 stm lens. Its quite sharp and gives you quite a good focal range. It  is a great lens to learn with. A prime should be a second lens.

here is the kind of image you can get with the stm 18-55. Just took this pic today

2tZUlAr.jpg

So I know that what makes a Rokinon generally cheaper than like a Canon or Sigma lens is the fact that it contains no electronics [Manual Focus and Physical aperture control.). From the Samyang version, it would seem that the bokeh and general image quality of the lens is nice. However, would mounting it to a used 60D [from the same place (National Camera Exchange)] be an injustice to my first DSLR or would it be a good lens to learn with since I wouldn't have the luxury of autofocus? Honestly, I'd probably sell the Rokinon back to NCE when I could afford the extra money for a fast Tamron or a fast Sigma but mostly would the Rokinon be okay to start with as my first lens since it would give the equivalent of about a 50mm lens and that similarly price lenses are slower from what I've found. I think that I will do some low-light/night photography and judging off the ISO response of the sensor in the T5i that if I can avoid using a higher ISO the better off I'll be whenever I do take low light/nighttime shots.

From everything that I've watched and read, I think I'd feel comfortable manually focusing because I do also plan on starting with mostly still life. (Such-as flowers, and so on.) Also with maybe occasional close-up wildlife (like birds or rabbits that are with in a couple feet/a few meters of me.)  

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

It all depends on what you're shooting. If you're doing portraits for example, it would be easy to manual focus as the subject would be staying still. You mentioned wildlife photography (birds, rabbits, etc) and I would recommend an auto focus lens. You wouldn't want to miss a shot because the lack of AF.

It all depends on what you're shooting. If you're doing portraits for example, it would be easy to manual focus as the subject would be staying still. You mentioned wildlife photography (birds, rabbits, etc) and I would recommend an auto focus lens. You wouldn't want to miss a shot because the lack of AF.

I know, but it seems that to get a lens with similar specs as the Rokinon I'm basically paying about an extra $200, unless I went with a slower aperture [at least f/3.5].

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432181114&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+50mm+1.8

This is the new Canon nifty fifty. It's not as fast, nor as wide as the Rokinon, but its a bargain none the less. This still isn't the best wildlife lens as it's no telephoto (meaning you would have to get closer to the animal which might scare it off) but on an APS-C sized sensor its a 80mm full frame equivalent, fast 1.8 aperture, fast and silent STM autofocus. I'd say buy it regardless because its a nice addition to any photographer's selection and its very cheap. 

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432181114&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+50mm+1.8

This is the new Canon nifty fifty. It's not as fast, nor as wide as the Rokinon, but its a bargain none the less. This still isn't the best wildlife lens as it's no telephoto (meaning you would have to get closer to the animal which might scare it off) but on an APS-C sized sensor its a 80mm full frame equivalent, fast 1.8 aperture, fast and silent STM autofocus. I'd say buy it regardless because its a nice addition to any photographer's selection and its very cheap. 

Honestly birds and rabbits here in Minnesota generally aren't too afraid of people. As long as you don't approach them too quickly or abruptly. My only concern is that 50mm would be hard to work with on a crop sensor since it is an 80mm equivalent, I guess it would be fine but eh somethings about it are a little curious. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R6WU/ref=psdc_499248_t3_B00BQXL8BU

This Canon is 28mm with an f1.8 aperture. It's a bit pricey at $450

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-24mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B00NI3BZ5K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432182683&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+24mm+2.8

Canon 24mm f2.8 lens. Definitely not as fast but the cheapest of the wide angles.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R6WU/ref=psdc_499248_t3_B00BQXL8BU

This Canon is 28mm with an f1.8 aperture. It's a bit pricey at $450

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-24mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B00NI3BZ5K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432182683&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+24mm+2.8

Canon 24mm f2.8 lens. Definitely not as fast but the cheapest of the wide angles.

I found a used Tamron 15-70mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD on B&H, Darker than I would like but it is sort of telephoto and would be a constant f/2.8. Also won't look out of place on a larger body (such as the 60D). In Christopher Frost's review, there seems to be issues with Chromatic Aberration at the wider/faster ends of the lens and sometimes contrast issues. All of which can be fairly easily remedied through Photoshop or Lightroom. I suspect that that would overall be a better option since it is pretty fast and is a zoom lens.

Does canon not have a 35mm f1.8? I love my nikon 35mm f1.8 G.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Does canon not have a 35mm f1.8? I love my nikon 35mm f1.8 G.

Canon doesn't seem to have a new 35mm f/1.8 however, I'm sure Sigma does.

Its the cheapest way to get a fast and sharp lens 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its the cheapest way to get a fast and sharp lens

It's not that sharp at F1.4. I have the same cine lens (fairly sure it's exactly the same glass) and it's very soft when stopped below F2 (really, I wouldn't use it below F2.5) So unless you're dealing with very low light situations I wouldn't really recommend it if you want something sharp when wide open.

will this be your only lens? if so, i would go with a zoom lens. It might not give the same kind of quality as a prime, but it will be much more versatile. If you go with a cheap zoom. Go with the new 18-55 stm lens. Its quite sharp and gives you quite a good focal range. It  is a great lens to learn with. A prime should be a second lens.

here is the kind of image you can get with the stm 18-55. Just took this pic today

2tZUlAr.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

2tZUlAr.jpg

Oh nice. The 60D may or may not happen, so I might just wait and buy a 70D and a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 from all the reviews the Sigma is a little soft at 1.8 but generally not too bad in general. I guess I could pair the 18-55mm kit lens to the 70D or 60D but that dark aperture would sort of limit the shallow depth of field/bokeh I want. I'd also consider spending less and going with a T6i since the T6s isn't that much cheaper than the 70D but I do like some of those features that I think even though as my first DSLR I'd be comfortable using.

Oh nice. The 60D may or may not happen, so I might just wait and buy a 70D and a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 from all the reviews the Sigma is a little soft at 1.8 but generally not too bad in general. I guess I could pair the 18-55mm kit lens to the 70D or 60D but that dark aperture would sort of limit the shallow depth of field/bokeh I want. I'd also consider spending less and going with a T6i since the T6s isn't that much cheaper than the 70D but I do like some of those features that I think even though as my first DSLR I'd be comfortable using.

another option for a camera is the first gen 7d. Its comparable to the 70d and is close to the t5i in price

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646908-REG/Canon_3814B004_EOS_7D_SLR_Digital.html

even cheaper used

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801208772-USE/canon_3814b004_eos_7d_dslr_camera.html

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

another option for a camera is the first gen 7d. Its comparable to the 70d and is close to the t5i in price

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646908-REG/Canon_3814B004_EOS_7D_SLR_Digital.html

even cheaper used

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801208772-USE/canon_3814b004_eos_7d_dslr_camera.html

I mean it is a lower megapixel sensor but generally perceived sharpness/detail is mostly found in the quality of the lens. I suspect that it has enough focus points and enough cross types. I guess the only thing that is questionable is where does the used one sit in terms of it's condition grade is it on the borderline of being 7 or it is on the borderline of being 8+. I guess it'd be worth it to go for the 7D. I guess going a 7D would basically give me more reason to use a racking focus puller when I want to pull focus [since on the 70D iirc has the ability to to focus as if you are pulling or having pulled the focus].

It's not that sharp at F1.4. I have the same cine lens (fairly sure it's exactly the same glass) and it's very soft when stopped below F2 (really, I wouldn't use it below F2.5) So unless you're dealing with very low light situations I wouldn't really recommend it if you want something sharp when wide open.

Ah thats a shame I used the 85 and it was really damn sharp considering its price specially between f4 and f8- but it was still ok shot wide open

not many lenses are that sharp at f1.4, (at least not at this kind of price) so I still consider them good for the money

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ah thats a shame I used the 85 and it was really damn sharp considering its price specially between f4 and f8- but it was still ok shot wide open

not many lenses are that sharp at f1.4, (at least not at this kind of price) so I still consider them good for the money

It's still a pretty great lens for the money, especially for video use when you do have the luxury of being able to manually control focus and iris. For wildlife photography I feel there would be something better.

It's still a pretty great lens for the money, especially for video use when you do have the luxury of being able to manually control focus and iris. For wildlife photography I feel there would be something better.

Yeah not a recommended lens for wildlife, generally you dont have time to spend ages fiddling with focus and iris

Yeah not a recommended lens for wildlife, generally you dont have time to spend ages fiddling with focus and iris

Technically ideal would be a Canon 400mm f/2.8L that's mounted on an APS-C body, the more expensive 200-400mm f/4L I'd suspect that the APS-C sensor would make it darker. 

Technically ideal would be a Canon 400mm f/2.8L that's mounted on an APS-C body, the more expensive 200-400mm f/4L I'd suspect that the APS-C sensor would make it darker. 

Think thats a bit over his like $300 budget :P

Think thats a bit over his like $300 budget :P

Lol I'm OP...  Anyways in consideration would be something between a used 60D or 7D or waiting a few months after being employed [2016] to buy a 70D and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM, this would hold true for both the 60D and 7D.

Lol I'm OP...  Anyways in consideration would be something between a used 60D or 7D or waiting a few months after being employed [2016] to buy a 70D and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM, this would hold true for both the 60D and 7D.

I agree but if people dont have they money, they dont have the money :P

the 18-35 f1.8 is fantastic