AMD confirms 4GB limit for first HBM graphics card

Samfisher

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/amd-confirms-4gb-limit-for-first-hbm-graphics-card/

HBMintro-640x344.jpg

AMD's just taken the wraps off its shiny new high bandwidth memory (HBM) technology, and as rumoured, the company is limited to a total of 4GB for its first-generation HBM product. While AMD has yet to reveal specifics of what that product might be, it did tell us that it'll be a GPU, it'll be priced towards the higher end of the spectrum, and that you'll be able to walk into a store and buy one within "the next couple of months." The rumour mill strongly suggests that this first HBM part will be the R9 390X.

The reason for the 4GB restriction for the company's upcoming GPU is due to the first-generation HBM design. HBM uses stacked memory chips along with a silicon interposer and through-silicon-vias (an interconnect that runs through the chip from top to bottom) in order to move the DRAM closer to the GPU. This shortens the traces, allowing for increased bandwidth and lower power consumption. Currently, those chips can only be stacked four dies high. With each die limited to 2Gbit, each stack is one gigabyte. AMD's current design only allows for four stacks around the GPU, limiting the system to four gigabytes.

Interesting, and quashes all rumours of a Titan X-class amount of VRAM.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Don't know how I feel about this, some games just required more than 4GB running at higher resolutions, pretty sure if you ran GTA V at 4k and max settings as you expect a card like this to do would go over the 4GB. Could be due to the cost? I remember seeing somewhere it costs considerably more than GDDR5

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Don't know how I feel about this, some games just required more than 4GB running at higher resolutions, pretty sure if you ran GTA V at 4k and max settings as you expect a card like this to do would go over the 4GB.

I get near 3.5 on GTA V on 1080 (triple monitor or single) with everything turned up, so yeah, 4k probably gonna be more than this can handle.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's HBM so I got high hopes on this ... That is until nVIDIA comes out with their Pascal and HBM 2

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I get near 3.5 on GTA V on 1080 (triple monitor or single) with everything turned up, so yeah, 4k probably gonna be more than this can handle.

I'm sure there's lots of settings that you could dial back as they have little affect on the overall look of the game. I was really hoping for more VRAM, but I probably wont be buying this anyway as it will be out of my price range(most likely).

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Well that is a tiny bit disappointing, however, this will still be a revolutionary card, if the leaked image, shows a water cooled itx sized card. Furthermore, GCN 1.2 should have delta compression like 285 and NVidia's 900 series, so 4GB is more like 5GB of 200 series GDDR5 memory. Either way, I'm very interested in seeing the launch of this thing.

2016 will be an amazing year for gfx's with 14/16nm ff, and HBM2.

Is that because you have a 970? ;) /jk

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'm sure there's lots of settings that you could dial back as they have little affect on the overall look of the game. I was really hoping for more VRAM, but I probably wont be buying this anyway as it will be out of my price range(most likely).

Oh I'm sure, I was just pointing out that GTA V can certainly push a card to its limits, even on just 1080 single monitor. And I know that feels, being broke and all. Wish I could get a second 970 for better triple monitor surround performance. (also the baller-ness of that SLI look)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's HBM so I got high hopes on this ... That is until nVIDIA comes out with their Pascal and HBM 2

HBM doesn't affect performance unless you were memory bandwidth bottlenecked, which extremely few games are if there are any at all.  You run out of steam on the GPU before memory bandwidth ever becomes an issue.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Looks like the tables have turned. :P

Until Nvidia turns them straight back round again with Pascal ;)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I wonder how will this play out  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Pascal will go up against Greenland, a 14nm GPU with HBM 2. So it will be a good fight for sure.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

thats next year, Nvidia descided to use HBM  alot later than AMD, Basically AMD backed HBM and Nvidia bet on HMC, turns out HBM is the more viable tech so they are behind the 8-ball here

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

The tables have turned in favour of nvidia already imo. :D Nvidia was always the one with less VRAM, getting hard words for their VRAM-greed. Now its the other way around. ;)

who cares...

HBM doesn't affect performance unless you were memory bandwidth bottlenecked, which extremely few games are if there are any at all.  You run out of steam on the GPU before memory bandwidth ever becomes an issue.

Still ... I think it's an important step ... It's better than nothing ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

thats next year, Nvidia descided to use HBM  alot later than AMD, Basically AMD backed HBM and Nvidia bet on HMC, turns out HBM is the more viable tech so they are behind the 8-ball here

I'm pretty sure it'll be neck and neck considering we're nearly half way through 2015. I'm glad Nvidia is holding off till next year, means more time to develop it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I'm rather ignorant on this topic although I understand the basic idea. However my 2gb 960 (don't hurt me, I had my reasons) will play gta v with settings using 2.5gb+ vram (by selecting ignore whatever limits) with no problems what so ever despite only having 2gb. Could this do something similar? I'm probably way off but am curious

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

"94% less PCB surface area" so its just 6% of a size of GDDR5 ?! Sounds little too much of an improvement to me.

Just for pure imaginative comparison purpose: from 10cm to 6cm size block (made up numbers, dont be mad)

So we can easily have triple or quadrouple amount of VRAM on one GPU right ?

Still sounds unreal to me, thats a massive leap forward. But it must suck if Nvidia still sticks with GDDR5. U know, if this was so damn good Nvidia would surely already had newer VRAM technology to compete.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Hmm, it will be interesting to see how it actually stacks compared to old memory and how will it perform when getting maxed.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

"94% less PCB surface area" so its just 6% of a size of GDDR5 ?! Sounds little too much of an improvement to me.

It's a combination. First, since HBM stacks, you get 1GB on the surface area of 1 chip, while with GDDR5 you get 1GB on the surface area of 4 chips. 

So there you have 75% reduction.

And then on top of that the chips a bit smaller, and on top of that, the can put the chips right on the GPU and just make it a bit bigger, instead of having the chips placed all around the GPU like they do with GDDR5

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm rather ignorant on this topic although I understand the basic idea. However my 2gb 960 (don't hurt me, I had my reasons) will play gta v with settings using 2.5gb+ vram (by selecting ignore whatever limits) with no problems what so ever despite only having 2gb. Could this do something similar? I'm probably way off but am curious

Well in your case, it's loading and unloading stuff into the Vram because it's running out of space. That "loading" tanks the performance and leads to lower FPS - but if it's doing this only a few times and it's only a small amount of data, then the drop in fps is small and short.

That, and the Vram "prediction" might not be as accurate, telling you you'll need 2.5 but actually only using 2. If you want to know, if your Graphiccard is really hitting the limit, use MSI Afterburner or HW Info (or similar).

At topic:

I don't see any issues, since it's the first run of HBMs. I'm certain, that we'll see higher capacity later down the line. Also, this applies to "AMD Specifications" - third parties might go another way, outside those specs (many boards and layouts are "not reference design").

Fiji should at one point be able to use HBM2 without to much hassle, since it's mostly the memory chip that changes.

When that will happen I don't know.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

8gb HBM R9 395x2 or Fiji XT-V2?  Seems like that'll be the likely situation.

so is it still worth the $850?

personally i say no @ 1080p it will be fine but why spend that much on a gpu for 1080p gaming and given that games are now pushing the 4gb ram limit at 1080 leta lone 1440p/4k i just dont see the point

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Just for pure imaginative comparison purpose: from 10cm to 6cm size block (made up numbers, dont be mad)

So we can easily have triple or quadrouple amount of VRAM on one GPU right ?

Still sounds unreal to me, thats a massive leap forward. But it must suck if Nvidia still sticks with GDDR5. U know, if this was so damn good Nvidia would surely already had newer VRAM technology to compete.

This picture illustrates the point quite well. The orange squares are ram:

HBM-6.png

Both have 4GB of vram.