SilverStone Headphone Stand Design Contest

First post here, figured I'd make an account to get some feedback before final submission.

Pretty quick doodle, took me something like 10 minutes (including research). Design is obviously take from their EBA01 stand, making it fit in line with their product line. Mounting system is based on what IKEA uses for their wall planks (and that works pretty well and looks clean, can put some sort of rubber on the wall end to make it sit flatter to the wall). This would be a 1 headphone holder. My main concern right now is that printing thread is probably not such a great idea. Self threading screws might fix that though. Feedback appreciated.

Untitled-1.jpg

I just made a model up this afternoon in AutoCAD Inventor and submitted it.

It's deployable for safety and aesthetics, but it can't be completely 3D printed as a finished product, so hopefully that's okay.

I picture it having a spring-loaded depress to release mechanism like you see in some kitchen cupboards.

I really like the clean aesthetic of the design.  Functional and non-intrusive too.

LOL went to buy one and there sold out ... go LTT

Aselwyn1

This one's pretty good DIY, it's stainless steel as well.

snip

Yep, Same here. 

$5.99 at IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20047898/

qnCfYyf.jpg

Or You can combine:

$10 This: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10136135/ 

$5.99 That: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20047898/

$4.99 (optional): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50138750/

And get:

IMG_0301.jpg

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Not interested at $60. If it was closer to $30 I'd consider it.

I have the Sennheiser HH10 Headphone Holder, I bought it for $23 back in July of last year and I only have one pair of headphones. So it's completely worth it for the convenience factor it provides.

I'll vote in the contest though since I'm sure there are some cool designs.

Would people be able to give me there opinion on some contributing factors as I design my entry? Especially those who aren't designing an entry, but have ideas in mind? I found the surveymonkey helpful, however the results are unaccessible to me. What are people interested in having as features, appearance, etc. when considering a product like a headphone stand? I have never owned one but I had used headphone holders and have my own opinion but I would be curious to others' opinions. 

i just made a quick sketch in sketchup, but now i dont know how to make a good 3d model out of it, nor do i have the software to make that model, does anyone have good(and free) software recommendations?, i am new to 3d modeling, so no really hard to use/learn software please.

btw, here is my sketchDgB63ya.png

very interesting contest...attentive ideas in here so far...

...but i miss a certain 'dual use', that is occasionally very comforting...

UfZTFqa.jpg

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

i just made a quick sketch in sketchup, but now i don't know how to make a good 3d model out of it, nor do i have the software to make that model, does anyone have good(and free) software recommendations?, i am new to 3d modeling, so no really hard to use/learn software please.

btw, here is my sketch

very cool! Did you think of putting the hinge connector to the bar further back, so that when I headphone is on it, it doesn't want to pull the hinge back down? Also consider sharp edges and scraping the wall into account. Fusion360 is a good 3d modeling program from Autodesk, free trial and student 3 yr download, and is available for mac, and I believe PC as well. 

Here are two that I have created an submitted so far. I am very open to ideas.

I am not the best 3d modeler, but I can usually get the job done.

Version number 1

Version%2B1.png

Version number 2:

Version%2B2.png

Version 2, on a wall with virtual headphones (from the Sketchup 3d Warehouse):

Version%2B2%2B-%2Bexample.png

Oh, Linus, your selfishness brings great things. I really don't think its that hard to modify something into a nice stand, but I do understand there are plenty of people who want something more polished, or don't have the time, tools, drive, or whatever to mod something. Either way, this is a really cool idea and there are some neat designs coming through already.

This is a very cool Contest

i will throw in some concepts of myself. Need to work on the Design a little bit more, to make it exclusive

I already got some ideas for stealth mounting options. Finally it pays out to be an engineering student  :lol:

http://imgur.com/Th4WEIq

this would be a simple one! I will design one with a cool design later on 

This is a very cool Contest

i will throw in some concepts of myself. Need to work on the Design a little bit more, to make it exclusive

I already got some ideas for stealth mounting options. Finally it pays out to be an engineering student  :lol:

http://imgur.com/Th4WEIq

this would be a simple one! I will design one with a cool design later on 

this one is very cool, maybe add an end cap or angle to it, to prevent the headphones falling off? I think this one is great, working on mine rn

A quick mock up from my first instinct of a wall mounted stand like this.

Not sure if it could be made with aluminium or not tho

post-6849-0-26176400-1432148768.png

Wait, isint this supposed to be on vessel a week ago?

Just like the zenfone 2?

Their contract says if it's news, gpu launch, giveaway, etc. They can post at same time. For a second I thought we'd got lucky and the contract has expired, but no such luck.

- snip-

Damn, I have a great idea but I suck at 3d modeling.

- snip-

I disagree with the statement at 3:25. I personally think that the the wood headphone stands look awesome and I'm seriously considering getting one now because they look so awesome. And the whole "Why are you getting X when Y does a similar thing but at a lower price" can be said about a lot of things, especially computer hardware related stuff

But the problem is that it offer no tangible gain besides aesthetics, for a huge inflated price. It probably costs $20 to make that thing, when hardware has relatively small margins after Rd and manufacturing.

- snip-

Wow the prices for these things are outrageous.

There are some tough requirements.

1. Wall mount

2. Hold multiple Headphones

3. Look nice

Lets crack this nut!

We'll need a 2x4, pegs, drill & bits, and screws.

Decorate and finish to your own personal level of douchebaggery.

Wooo that was rough. It may cost a zillion bucks like all the other audio related stuff out there too.

My wallmounted headphone stand is just a dildo with a suction cup. :D !

PLS DONT BAN ME LINUS!

But the problem is that it offer no tangible gain besides aesthetics, for a huge inflated price. It probably costs $20 to make that thing, when hardware has relatively small margins after Rd and manufacturing.

And what's wrong with people being willing to pay for aesthetics?

So cool to see people embracing this. I think the design that wins is just a SMALL part of the big picture here. There are going to be TONS (so far over 80) headphone holder designs on myminifactory that anyone can download and print :D

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit