LG unveils wallpaper OLED display, less than 1mm thick *updated with video!*

With cheaper OLED panels, higher panel output (production), getting even thinner as well, we should start seeing some really nice OLED TV's soon. When yields get high enough, and production facilities, can manage demand, we might start to see what everyone in here really wants: OLED monitors. Personally preferably 21:9 OLED curved monitors, with 9-240hz Adaptive Sync support (remember that OLED has a response time under 0.01ms, giving a theoretical refresh rate of 100.000 hz (100 kilohertz!).

OLED actually is good enough to hold an image if the fps drops below 1fps. Meaning you could have 0-whatever HZ variable refresh rate. For a true 100% fps=hz display. If AMD doesnt update their freesync spec on that minimum, then gsync will again be better... because gsync can go as low as 0hz.

Just sayin.

But ye, 120+hz 21:9 OLED monitor with some kind of sync = pure Nirvana.

Except it will be 3 years at least before we get something like that, unfortunately.

Too bad we will never own one... how many years ago oleds and amoleds have been invented and used in phone/tablet but they dont want to make bigger screens? they just tease concept products that will never come to market.The technology is obviously there and its possible to produce them.

I wont be buying a new screen for a loong long time,i want 24"+ oled/4k/with AdaptiveSync/Gsync/120hz at 300$ or less, and the thickness doesnt matter.

OLED actually is good enough to hold an image if the fps drops below 1fps. Meaning you could have 0-whatever HZ variable refresh rate. For a true 100% fps=hz display. If AMD doesnt update their freesync spec on that minimum, then gsync will again be better... because gsync can go as low as 0hz.

Just sayin.

But ye, 120+hz 21:9 OLED monitor with some kind of sync = pure Nirvana.

Except it will be 3 years at least before we get something like that, unfortunately.

It is odd, AMD saying 9-140hz, and NVidia saying the Adaptive Sync spec, does not have an actual lower limit, so I really don't know. But then again, based on how the tech works, I can't see a reason, why AS and FreeSync shouldn't be able to support 0hz.

Can't wait for nirvana, but they will supply the TV market first. I guess the problem is pixel density (PPI), which has to be higher on a monitor. Then again Samsung's AMOLED is already 1080p in 5" and maybe less, so I'm not sure.

Honestly I just find it odd, that they are not making high end 10 bit monitors in OLED, for professional use. I know SONY makes a 30 something inch OLED monitor, but that's for video editing in movies, and costs more than a car: @dezeltheintern

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

My God, that's pretty awesome!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Now all Linus needs is a wall to put it on in the new HQ  :D  :D  :D

That's pretty awesome 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I want OLED and I want it now. I could care less about how thin it is. All I want is those inky blacks and deep rich colors!!~~~ I'm really hoping Apple adopts OLED across all their devices (cinema display, macbooks, iphones, ipads). Would be great for them to start using it and then the rest of the market would follow.

It is odd, AMD saying 9-140hz, and NVidia saying the Adaptive Sync spec, does not have an actual lower limit, so I really don't know. But then again, based on how the tech works, I can't see a reason, why AS and FreeSync shouldn't be able to support 0hz.

Think youre confusing stuff.

Adaptive sync and freesync essentially can be called the same thing and requires the monitor scalars to be built differently.

Gsync is in itself a proprietary scalar which replaces any standard hardware the monitor would otherwise have. 

Nvidia is not in contradiction by saying their gsync can go as low as 0hz. While freesync can go as low as 9hz.... because these solutions are done on different hardware inside the monitor. 

I just hope AMD updates their adaptive sync spec when OLED monitors start appearing. Cuz otherwise the freesync blurring problem will be solved by oleds, but again... gsync will still be better because of the true fps=hz thing with no minimum. Honestly getting really sick of amd... was so looking forward to freesync and when it came out it had and still has all kinds of stupid problems. Personally i rather pay the 100$ extra for gsync instead of keep dealing with more "problems" and "trade offs". Im done with that shit.

Think youre confusing stuff.

Adaptive sync and freesync essentially can be called the same thing and requires the monitor scalars to be built differently.

Gsync is in itself a proprietary scalar which replaces any standard hardware the monitor would otherwise have. 

Nvidia is not in contradiction by saying their gsync can go as low as 0hz. While freesync can go as low as 9hz.... because these solutions are done on different hardware inside the monitor. 

I just hope AMD updates their adaptive sync spec when OLED monitors start appearing. Cuz otherwise the freesync blurring problem will be solved by oleds, but again... gsync will still be better because of the true fps=hz thing with no minimum. Honestly getting really sick of amd... was so looking forward to freesync and when it came out it had and still has all kinds of stupid problems. Personally i rather pay the 100$ extra for gsync instead of keep dealing with more "problems" and "trade offs". Im done with that shit.

I'm not confused. Freesync is merely a driver, utilizing the Adaptive Sync standard, that is implemented into the monitor controller. Whether that 9 hz minimum is a freesync driver thing or an Adaptive Sync hardware standard limitation, is the question. NVidia said Adaptive Sync has no minimum; if so, it should be easy to just update the freesync driver, when necessary.

Gsync is a proprietary monitor controller (scaler is just the part, that scales the image, and adds OSD, scalar is a math function). But neither Gsync or Adaptive sync goes below 30hz, which is the minimum supported by LCD panels. Gsync fakes it by doubling or more the frames, so 25fps becomes 50 hz on the monitor, which is a really clever implementation. I would assume that AMD will upgrade Freesync at some point to do something similar.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

NVidia said Adaptive Sync has no minimum; if so, it should be easy to just update the freesync driver, when necessary.

Negative. Nvidia said their gsync scalar has no minimum.

And im not talking about garbage LCD. Im talking about OLED where the glass isnt the limitation.

Negative. Nvidia said their gsync scalar has no minimum.

And im not talking about garbage LCD. Im talking about OLED where the glass isnt the limitation.

Tom Petersen (from NVidia): “First of all, the spec ‘Adaptive Sync’ has no minimum. Both have the ability to communicate any range, so there’s nothing about the base specs that are different.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/03/23/nvidia-explains-why-their-g-sync-display-tech-is-superior-to-amds-freesync/2/

If this statement is correct, then it is just a limitation in the FreeSync driver, that can be fixed with an update, when needed.

when your 55" tv weighs less than your 15" notebook, there is something wrong.... wow, I cant wait for OLED notebooks.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

when your 55" tv weighs less than your 15" notebook, there is something wrong.... wow, I cant wait for OLED notebooks.

Hehe well, it is only a panel. All the electronics, like the monitor controller (scaler), smart tv computer, and tuner, is not part of that weight or size. So you need a separate box (which I am VERY ok with. That way we can just replace the box, when it goes obsolete, instead of having to get an entirely new tv, kinda like Samsung's evolution kits.

Buddy of mine bought a 65inch 4k OLED TV on sale for $7,000 and I went to his house last week to check it out.

I am still in his living room writing this comment.

Cannot leave this beauty.

Buddy of mine bought a 65inch 4k OLED TV on sale for $7,000 and I went to his house last week to check it out.

You need to play Witcher 3 on it!!! NOW! And also pictures!

Pics or GTFO.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/03/23/nvidia-explains-why-their-g-sync-display-tech-is-superior-to-amds-freesync/2/

If this statement is correct, then it is just a limitation in the FreeSync driver, that can be fixed with an update, when needed.

I am trying to follow every article about this stuff and i seem to have missed this one.

Thank you. And i hope that is correct and adaptive sync can do 0-whatever hz.

I can see that concept art of the aircrafts not having windows just the whole wall being a screen

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I can see that concept art of the aircrafts not having windows just the whole wall being a screen

isnt that a thing Virgin is trying to do?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

no tearing!

But is it smooth with variable refresh rate? What is the granularity or variance of frame times? What is the color spectrum? Is it 10-bit?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

isnt that a thing Virgin is trying to do?

I cant remember who did the concept but I wouldn't be surprised it was virgin

I cant remember who did the concept but I wouldn't be surprised it was virgin

what im thinking of was Virgin. http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/virgin-launches-glass-bottomed-plane

Virgin_Atlantic_Little_Red_Glass-bottom_

It was an April Fools joke, but with this tech, it could become a thing

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

what im thinking of was Virgin. http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/virgin-launches-glass-bottomed-plane

It was an April Fools joke, but with this tech, it could become a thing

Nah the concept I was thinking about was them getting rid of the side windows and replacing them with screens -  spose to reduce air drag or something

Updated with new pictures added.