Apple Refreshes MBP Retina 15", 5K iMac price drop [Graphics & Compute comparison UPDATE]

Seems interesting, but honestly I'm disappointed in the fact they added force touch to it. I've tried it, seems a bit gimmicky and not that nice to click.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Seems interesting, but honestly I'm disappointed in the fact they added force touch to it. I've tried it, seems a bit gimmicky and not that nice to click.

I like being able to click anywhere on the trackpad. Also this new design enables more battery space as the z height is reduced compared to the previous design.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems kinda logical that they would add it to all their products for a consistent user experience. I don't really mind to much, as I almost exclusively "tap" on it anyway and only very seldom "click" it.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I like being able to click anywhere on the trackpad. Also this new design enables more battery space as the z height is reduced compared to the previous design.

I suppose it's a very subjective thing. I've always found my self clicking down the bottom. Additional battery life is good I suppose though.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems kinda logical that they would add it to all their products for a consistent user experience. I don't really mind to much, as I almost exclusively "tap" on it anyway and only very seldom "click" it.

I suppose it's a very subjective thing. I've always found my self clicking down the bottom. Additional battery life is good I suppose though.

Agreed, I used to tap to click on mine rather than actually press down so I suppose it makes little difference to me. Although the feeling that the new Track pad provides is uncanny I that I could swear it's being depressed if I didn't know better.

Mod Note: The next page is broken. We're aware of the issue and are looking into it. Please skip the next page and go directly to page 6

Edited by colonel_mortis
Added mod note

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

............if you're going to be sitting for 12-18 hours watching video....why not just plug it in?

Go on keep finding reasons not to get impressed by what apple has done here. Why because it's Apple

Go on keep finding reasons not to get impressed by what apple has done here. Why because it's Apple

I was just asking a question, and hadn't thought about flying. Nothing more.

Granted I'm not impressed, because I don't care about, or have any interest in laptops. Apple or otherwise.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I was just asking a question, and hadn't thought about flying. Nothing more.

Granted I'm not impressed, because I don't care about, or have any interest in laptops. Apple or otherwise.

The point is it has a pretty long battery life compared to what you get with windows. Its not like it lasts 18 hours for video playback and 4 hours for everything else

The brings the question if Intel will even release mobile broadwell quad cores or if they just skip them and realease the skylake variant.

I think Intel would just because statistically with every desktop generation they have released a mobile line of the same family. Granted Intel knows that Broadwell's architecture in general provides about a 5% overall increase in performance so they could do just for the money (even though they'll be releasing more a substantial tock and tick in the next couple years.).

Also @At least Apple isn't putting in like AMD A8 and A10/FX APUs and claiming that those APUs/CPUs are better than Intel and then charging about the same price.

There is a fairly good reason that Apple does cost more and that's the same reason Beats cost more, Marketing - Feeding Employees - R&D - Manufacturing cost a fair bit of money. All of those cost can make a significant impact on how much a product will cost for the end consumer.  Today Mac's are fairly price competitive to their PC counterparts [a 13" rMBP cost about the same as a Dell XPS 13 2015 and can even have more ram than the XPS 13]. For some [like myself] I do find that the aesthetic of the iMac/rMBP/rMB/MBA/Mac Pro and OS X is nicer than Windows and Windows machines. Not necessarily better, some times I do find Windows to have an edge but that's for minor things sometimes. The only thing I do have to say about Apple's phone's are that they're nice but honestly I do wish I wasn't forced to have to use iOS, I mean it's nice still but it's sort of sad how about 5-6 years ago iOS looked better than Android, now it's the opposite. [Android L and iOS 8.]

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I think Intel would just because statistically with every desktop generation they have released a mobile line of the same family. Granted Intel knows that Broadwell's architecture in general provides about a 5% overall increase in performance so they could do just for the money (even though they'll be releasing more a substantial tock and tick in the next couple years.).

well there won't be a "full" broadwell desktop line, as Skylake CPUs should already come in Q3-4 2015.

There is none/not much information on Broadwell-H (quad core mobile) ...

so they might just skip Broadwell-H completely (Apple using Haswell again would back this up) and get Skylake-H on the market.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Why would they do this? Don't all mobile AMD GPUs kinda suck and use a crap load of power?

It's known why: it was because of NVIDIA quest for licensing their IP and their patenting enforcing business model.

The Samsung Qualcomm sittuation were just two examples. Apple and many others were also approached.

This is what they won with all of this: zero licensees and lost OEM contracts on several markets - pretty much that's why they are pivoting from smartphones/tablets to cars.

It's known why: it was because of NVIDIA quest for licensing their IP and their patenting enforcing business model.

The Samsung Qualcomm sittuation were just two examples. Apple and many others were also approached.

This is what they won with all of this: zero licensees and lost OEM contracts on several markets - pretty much that's why they are pivoting from smartphones/tablets to cars.

What kind of crack are you smoking? 

Apple flip flips between AMD and Nvidia every 2 years it seems. Whoever can offer a better contract price for components gets it, plain and simple. We're now in two years of AMD GPUs on the MacBooks, the last two were furnished by the 650M and 750M respectively. 

What kind of crack are you smoking? 

Apple flip flips between AMD and Nvidia every 2 years it seems. Whoever can offer a better contract price for components gets it, plain and simple. We're now in two years of AMD GPUs on the MacBooks, the last two were furnished by the 650M and 750M respectively. 

Don't point your ignorance to the possibility of other people smoking crack lol.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then just say so, don't be ashamed of that. Just don't come with some shitty logic that Apple flips between AMD and NVIDIA every two years like it's a pattern LOL - or you actually think NVIDIA cannot compete with AMD in price?!?! That does make me inquire what kind of crack you are smoking xD

We are indeed now two years after NVIDIA patent assertion exercise, and look at wha they got with it.

The only person here who has ignorance is the one who wades into every thread with "insider information that I can't share so you have to trust me" is you, polluting the discussion and dragging up the same tired conspiracy theories over and over

Apple has always used Nvidia discrete graphics on their computers (except for the Firepros in the Mac Pros), seems weird to jump to AMD.

You're way behind the curve. They stopped using Nvidia completely years ago. Did you miss Linus's iMac 5K videos?

Page 5 broken, spam to hell to reach page 6, have fun.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Also: why AMD? As a MBP user I have a lot of things that are CUDA accelerated. AMD doesn't have such a feature, so why AMD? I kinda wished they put in a GT950M or even a 960M in there, with more VRAM.

OpenCL

Recent iMacs have all been AMD

Before the 5K model came out they used Nvidia. GT 750M optional in the 21.5" model, GT 755M standard in the 27" model with optional GTX 775M and 780M.

"Rawr XD"