Apple Refreshes MBP Retina 15", 5K iMac price drop [Graphics & Compute comparison UPDATE]

Actually they didn't drop the price. They just added a lower spec model.

Amended original post to reflect this, cheers.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Apple says it's "up to 70% faster" in games. Still have to wait on official benchmarks. Again, that's why I am confused. Suddenly out of nowhere AMD has an R9-3xx card on mobile which supposedly has a new architecture. I expected some press release or something.

I assume that's compared to the model that only had the Iris Pro graphics and not the 750M

hpENVY14SPEC.jpg

They do. 

It's an HP.

thinkpad's are plastic and their batteries don't last and the screens are not nearly as good. Mbp is good as all around package, it would need touchscreen though.

You know, I could go on with this but I don't think we need another flamewar ^^ agree to disagree

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's an HP.

It's a Macbook Pro knockoff.

It's a Macbook Pro knockoff.

It's actually a very good laptop in it's own right. Yes the design is similar but that's because it's good/attractive ID. This particular laptop was the result of a partnership between HP and Microsoft.

No broad well quad cores, no need to go to Broadwell. I can see them skipping Broadwell entirely and going to Skylake. This is just a refresh for the sake of having one, not much more they can do this year short of forcing Intel to release new chips for the Fall. 

Can't afford a MBP becasue i am poor.

The feels. Looks baller as hek, want one for ballerness. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

What the hell is an R9 370M? How does it compare to Maxwell?

Also: why AMD? As a MBP user I have a lot of things that are CUDA accelerated. AMD doesn't have such a feature, so why AMD? I kinda wished they put in a GT950M or even a 960M in there, with more VRAM.

Oh well. This isn't for me anyway. My MBP is less than half a year old. Glad I bought it with the nVidia GPU.

Iris Peo 5200 can accelerate it. Intel has a CUDA license.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Could use a macbook.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

The day they implement changeable graphics or some kind of connector for external high-speed GPU's will be a good day.

We need a relatively high powered CPU, nice amount of RAM and dockable graphics on the macbook and it would be perfect.

WIth that being said, I would sell my rig and get one of these if I could. Performance on par (or just above) the 960M GPU is perfect for gaming on (obvs run on a cooling pad, they aren't very loud as Ive used one before). I just love the aesthetics

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

The day they implement changeable graphics or some kind of connector for external high-speed GPU's will be a good day.

We need a relatively high powered CPU, nice amount of RAM and dockable graphics on the macbook and it would be perfect.

WIth that being said, I would sell my rig and get one of these if I could. Performance on par (or just above) the 960M GPU is perfect for gaming on (obvs run on a cooling pad, they aren't very loud as Ive used one before). I just love the aesthetics

Thunderbolt 2 can already run external GPUs, Intel just won't license the adapters to be cheap enough to make them viable for all users. 

As far as MXM goes, that is bloody expensive and adds bulk that, while not an issue for the Pros (seriously, the 17" Pro I have a chunky yet well built bastard) it would probably be a step back in thermal management, even with newer generation cards that are more efficient. 

Hm... would love to upgrade to a MacBook Pro but I cannot give up the lovely battery life of my Air. Don't get me wrong 9 hrs is pretty good but 12 hrs is even better.

As far as MXM goes, that is bloody expensive and adds bulk that, while not an issue for the Pros (seriously, the 17" Pro I have a chunky yet well built bastard) it would probably be a step back in thermal management, even with newer generation cards that are more efficient. 

My old MSI GT60 had a MXM slot, and I didn't notice any terrible thermal management because of it. Then again, that was a very chunky laptop.

with all of the problems of the 2011 mbp gpus, you'd think they'd not go amd for fear of the heat. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thunderbolt 2 can already run external GPUs, Intel just won't license the adapters to be cheap enough to make them viable for all users. 

I'm aware of this, I would just love it if Apple implemented it :P

MXM is a good idea in theory, but you start to look at small NUC/brix type workstations (with better cooling) rather then notebooks (or ultrabooks) because of the heat issue.

With that being said the macbook Pros are a nice solid piece of kit, I would love even one of the models with the 650m in it :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Do Apple offer any upgrade/swap program? Would love to trade in my late 2013 rmbp to this eventhough not much difference in specs but every extra gpu power can benefit me greatly with my work. The GT750M is barely anymore powerful than the iris pro gpu.

M370x is a downclocked 7770 I think which performs only a bit better than the gt 750m...

My article on the m300 series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362294-amd-300-series-mobile-specs-revealed-on-amd-website/

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Why would they do this? Don't all mobile AMD GPUs kinda suck and use a crap load of power?

Cheaper.

OpenCL 2.0 support.

Async support via FreeSync.

Better compute performance.

Resources spent supporting the same architecture as the last years.

Good compute performance per watt.

mbp is the only product from apple that actually makes sense.

Macbook air makes quite alot of sense. As well as the base model imacs. Thunderbolt is still way too expensive on custom side, if you want thunderbolt, the iMac proposes a good value. You're only paying about 100-200 dollars more, but you get their great support so that 200 dollars is worth it.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Cheaper.

OpenCL 2.0 support.

Async support via FreeSync.

Better compute performance.

Resources spent supporting the same architecture as the last years.

Good compute performance per watt.

Nvidia added OCL 2.0 to all cards going back to 400 series with recent driver updates.

Not really on compute. That and a 950m would be equivalent.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

mbp is the only product from apple that actually makes sense.

I agree, so thats what I picked a couple weeks ago. Love it so far. Very expensive (perhaps too much for my blood) but it was a gift so :)

Going to have this thing forever(4+ years) probably. Its a rMBP 13" w/16GB of memory, the i5-5257U (base), 256GB ssd (that ssd is so fast...)

using windows mainly for now, OSX is an absolute memory hog. Apple should work on fixing that. Im glad i got 16GB of memory though.

iris pro isnt too bad either... Thought it was gonna be worse than it is. I believe its about equivalent to a GT 620m. Not really going to be a gaming laptop, but it will run some light games. 

This is soooo much better than the $300 junk AMD e-450 laptop that  weighed 7 pounds and had terrible battery life and a terrible screen. I even put an ssd in that piece of junk to make it usable because it was soooo slow. Even with the ssd it lagged behind (that cpu is about equivalent to an iPhone 5 LOL). This laptop is sooooo much better. But anything would have been an upgrade for me haha

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It's an HP.

With 'audio by Beats' *shudders*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

M370x is a downclocked 7770 I think which performs only a bit better than the gt 750m...

My article on the m300 series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362294-amd-300-series-mobile-specs-revealed-on-amd-website/

where does it say M370X in your post??!

according to noteboocheck it is probably a Tonga based card (R9 285)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log