Looking for a new Point-and-Shoot.

For many years, I had put to extensive use a Sony DSC-W350, a camera which took great pictures but had a mediocre (at best) battery life*. But I had put it through decent amount of abuse (for the most part accidental) as well. Now the battery life is pretty much nonexistent, the screen has visible damage, the lens is warped inward(don't ask how, I'm as confused as you are), and the knob that switches between modes (Picture, Panorama, Video) is too finicky to work with.

So I'm looking for a new camera for a similar price that I got my Sony camera for ($180 IIRC, bought in 2009). My main budget is $200 or less, but I am willing to go up to $250 if it has good features. I also prefer that it is of the typical Point-and-Shoot pocket size, but I am willing to go with a DSLR-like size factor given good features. Preferred merchants are Amazon, Newegg, and Best Buy, but feel free to add on. I should also mention that having a Li-ion battery is a must for me, buying AA batteries in Southern California adds up fairly quickly.

The kinds of pictures I take are for the most part Landscape (some on foot, some taken from a moving car), sky pictures (clouds, aircraft, occasionally lightning), people, and close ups of curiosities. Although I wouldn't mind if it was capable of taking good pictures beyond the above situations.

Although I'm sure there are other options out there, here are 3 2 cameras I found on Amazon that fit my budget w/ (seemingly) decent feature & specs, despite their DSLR-like size factor:

Canon PowerShot SX520: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX520-16Digital-Stabilized/dp/B00M0QVTOS/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1432013813&sr=1-1

Nikon Coolpix L840: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00T85P56C/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1432013813&sr=1-6

Disregard this particular Nikon, I should have mentioned that having a Li-Ion battery is a must for me.

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ70-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B00DY2Y28M/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1432013340&sr=1-3

*50-65 pictures w/ flash before dying, ~80 w/o near the end of its life, near the beginning it seemed more like ~110 w/ flash, ~140 w/o. Numbers may not be accurate.

PS I have dabbled in photography in a sense with my Sony, so if there is a jump in complexity with a new camera, I'm sure I'll learn how to use it over time.

Edited by PatrikStar24

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

I'd go for the Nikon camera, I don't really trust the other brands.

I'd go for the Nikon camera, I don't really trust the other brands.

Refer to my edit in the second spoiler, I forgot to mention that having a rechargeable (Lithium-Ion) battery is a must for me. If you find a Nikon with a rechargeable battery, okay. But until then, I'm waiting for other responses.

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  

Current Build - Ryzen 7 3800x (eco mode enabled), MSI B550M MAG Mortar, G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2x16) 3200 14-14-14-34, EVGA 2060 KO Ultra, EVGA G2 550W, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx

SNIP

Canon SX280HS

Sony WX350

Sony HX20 (used)

or save up for something better :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii