Witcher 3 first impressions: what do you think?

Adreyu

I just started this game, and I like it so much, I think I'm gonna wait to play it, I fell like I'm disrespecting it unless I play 1 and 2 first. So I might be going on a hell of a gaming binge soon. 

Yeah I just completed 1 2 days ago (even though I genuinly bought witcher 1 during release week haha) and I did for Witcher 2 too

1 Is quite dated and a bit poo, even the story is a bit lame.. 2 is literally about 480 million baziilion times better, I would rush through 1 and ignore the side quests tbh, unless you really want to import your save but it doesnt change much really

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

im on a gtx970 and seeing 50-55fps @1080p with everything on ultra besides hair and foliage. but im maxed at 3505mb usage of vram

Saya gain?  I haven't even bumped into 2GB VRAM usage yet with everything Ultra.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I like it, the story line is compelling and the combat is fun. im having a little trouble with the scenery though the wind blowing makes it look kind of warped. 

What do you guys think?

holy shit this game is GOOD. blows DA:I out of the water! 4 hours in and its amazing! 5/5!

Huh? On a 7950?

Ok, let me clarify, because I had to do some tweaking. At this point, the only settings I turned down were distant foliage (high instead of ultra), depth of field, motion blur, and hair works. I've left everything else on ultra, and I'm average around 45 fps with the occasional dip to low 30s.

In addition, I don't think this game uses msaa for anti aliasing, since, when turned on, I only lose 2 fps.

I am very impressed with this, and look forward to see how a new amd driver will improve things.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Ok, let me clarify, because I had to do some tweaking. At this point, the only settings I turned down were distant foliage (high instead of ultra), depth of field, motion blur, and hair works. I've left everything else on ultra, and I'm average around 45 fps with the occasional dip to low 30s.

In addition, I don't think this game uses msaa for anti aliasing, since, when turned on, I only lose 2 fps.

I am very impressed with this, and look forward to see how a new amd driver will improve things.

That's very impressive, a GPU which is more than 3 years old.

I know. I was prepared to upgrade my gpu for this game, but now I'll hold off until 2016 for 16nm cards

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Well I am not playing the game but as for watching this game live streamed it is an absolute bore. Many of the streams look like crap and when I found a good one the guy was crafting and crafting and crafting more and so it was not very entertaining to watch. I don't think this game will be lasting very long as a top game streamed on Twitch. I much prefer watching Josh from Fractal Design play GTA V. The Witcher 3 definitely is a game I want to play but not something to watch that is for sure.

RPGs are not games that are meant to be streamed. Only very few can pull it off

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Ok, let me clarify,

At this point, the only settings I turned down were distant foliage (high instead of ultra), depth of field, motion blur, and hair works. I've left everything else on ultra, and I'm average around 45 fps with the occasional dip to low 30s.

(I hope the driver does superfunmagic too)

Wondering what clocks you have set on your HD7950 for those settings you mentioned, because there is a lot of headroom on some HD7950s, and that some early cards came out at 800/900Mhz, and a farcry of performance away from the usual 1000Mhz+OC>1150Mhz+ that a lot of people are averaging after their OC.

Curious to what you were at...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

(I hope the driver does superfunmagic too)

Wondering what clocks you have set on your HD7950 for those settings you mentioned, because there is a lot of headroom on some HD7950s, and that some early cards came out at 800/900Mhz, and a farcry of performance away from the usual 1000Mhz+OC>1150Mhz+ that a lot of people are averaging after their OC.

Curious to what you were at...

Yeah, I know some folks were able to oc up to 1150 core and 1550 mem. Unfortunately, I have only been able to attain 1020 core and 1400 mem. Still, this is a huge jump from stock (900/1250), and my gpu never exceeds 77 degrees on my silence optimized fan curve.

I saw comparison video. PC ultra is 90% like PS4 and differemce is too small to make sense for PC requirements....

Thats my take on it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

On my pc I run at near max settings :D

45-50 fps

I have put 5 hours and 23 minutes into the game so far.

As soon as I got to Velen the first thing I did was head for Novigrad BY BOAT

And then I got off my boat because It broke and then saw a Level 30 Royal Wyvren I tried to take it on.

It one hit killed me :P

Graphics are Impressive but I  would like Tesselation or ubersampling features.

I am loving the voice acting and Geralt is really sassy. :P

I can't wait to see how the story unfolds :D

It was SOOOOO worth the wait. and even better It came with my 960 :P

Optimised very well :D and a decent amount of PC options :P

BUT one thing I don't like IS.....

that the expansion pass isn't out yet :P

And the tesselation/ubersampling thing :P

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I saw comparison video. PC ultra is 90% like PS4 and differemce is too small to make sense for PC requirements....

Thats my take on it.

Yeah, also there isn't really much difference between low and ultra settings on PC.  

Great game absolutely shit optimization, can't hit even close to 60 fps with gtx 680 and i7 3930k on LOWEST (yes lowest im not a fucking idiot hairworks is off na na na...etc)

I noticed that too, bad first impression.

They look better later in the game for some reason...

and I noticed the hair is really well animated without hair works. Not all's perfect, but running it at 1080p with no AA and hariworks on ultra on 970, it's looks pretty good overall. I'm certainly enjoying it. 

I think im partial to those trees because they are kind of like the trees around my cottage in the canadian shield

and yet the architecture is about to be brand new... again ;)

Great game absolutely shit optimization, can't hit even close to 60 fps with gtx 680 and i7 3930k on LOWEST (yes lowest im not a fucking idiot hairworks is off na na na...etc)

you are definitely hitting issues with the memory. its to be expected with more and more games coming out with really high memory requirements. its not optimized badly you just have a 2gb card

My first impressions.

I was unable to find save from W2 which I wanted to import so after 30 min of searching I decided to import save from another passthrough I finished yesterday in which I killed mostly everyone I was hoping to meet in W3.

Oh well...

So I fired game up and didn't even look at settings. I set second highest difficulty and and went to import the save. "Unable to import save" what?! It was save number 586 so I tried 585 which worked but I think it is save before I fight Letho so I hope it will work OK.

So finally I got into game and also into and everything works fine except I am unable to attack. So naturally I checked key bindings and it was fine so I plugged in controller XBOX and attack still doesn't work.

I rebinded keys and then back to default and it was working. Finally!

For first hour I was fighting with camera and movement as I was accustomed to the one in W2 where it was locked in your back.

I don't know what settings I am running at as I haven't checked. Also I don't know what FPS but game runs fluid no hiccups and no crashes after 4h playing. Only thing that bothers me is the view distance for the poison cloud in swamp. When I was sprinting with house it already appeared in front of me at the last moment.

I will need to play with settings tomorrow.

Game is fun. Combat is fun. Voice acting and music and sound are great. Quests and characters are interesting. 9/10 for me so far as the AI could still be better.

Edit: FU auto correct!

I'm in the last couple weeks of school and working more than ever so I have about 30 minutes in the game :P I haven't had this bad of a desire to play a game since the early days of call of duty 4.

The graphics are awesome, it is clear there are downgrades here and there but I haven't stopped and been disappointed with the scenery. The combat is really fun even when I'm constantly dying playing on "death march" difficulty.

Installing it now! On game disc 3. Would've been nice if it was a BD-Rom disc and have everything on 1 disc, although I'm sure most people have a regular 'ol DVD-Rom drive. I must say the packaging is quite nice and well done. It also includes the OST to the game & a few stickers/map and 48-page hard cover comic book.

Shortly I'll be playing!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

More first impressions (well second impressions but a new thread seems wasteful)

I managed to max everything on my rig except for a couple of things: Shadows (because I don't put much attention and high shadows seem good enough) and grass distance (because ultra on it really takes a toll, more so than density of grass). Everything else is on ultra and it's pretty much 60 most of the time dips only into 53 to 55 when on busy towns or when just loading an area after fast travel.

Surprisingly, is often not pushing the 290x to the max only a few times it shoots up to max usage and temps but normally it's not even struggling, which is surprising considering just how much long distance grass hurts. This is a real problem no dev has been able to figure out: why can you not set the distant grass to just not move or have fairly low detail (it's behind the FOV blur anyway) and instead it's always very noticeable popup. This game has enough hills and tall grass right next to you that you don't often notice but if you climb a small hill you can easily tell.

And not surprisingly, hair takes a dump on performance and honestly it looks good but not terribly good: Geralt does become a complete metrosexual and has perfect hair and such, not consistent with the comments about him being lice ridden (The gentleman will now be shaved) 

As for story I'm a bit lost

So off I'm sent to search for Ciri and all those quest say "Oh you must be level 7 at least!" and I was like 3. I went back to the initial town thinking "surely they won't remember I killed 10 people on a bar fight" and sure enough they didn't and did several side quests: the ghost in the abandoned town, the merchant who lost his black box, I found some swords schematics that require me to hunt down the recipe, etc. I am now level 4 I think and I think I have nothing with much XP to offer on this area. Am I supposed to just fight wolves and bears to level up? I don't notice any xp gains from that. I'm not sure if they want to encourage exploration but I feel they're being very stingy with the XP

-------

Current Rig

-------

The game is well optimized. I don't understand why people don't get that. Lower your settings and you will be fine. First of all, the frame rate is very consistent unlike GTA 5 which dropped like crazy when in a grassy area. Check this video out below. The game maxed out at 1080p doesn't even come close to 2gb of vram. What game that looks like this can achieve this in 2015. When you know, you can tell me that this game isn't optimized. Until then, no. I will say though that the hair works is a huge hit. But it looks great without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPgTp2Lij9I

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

The game is well optimized. I don't understand why people don't get that. Lower your settings and you will be fine. First of all, the frame rate is very consistent unlike GTA 5 which dropped like crazy when in a grassy area. Check this video out below. The game maxed out at 1080p doesn't even come close to 2gb of vram. What game that looks like this can achieve this in 2015. When you know, you can tell me that this game isn't optimized. Until then, no. I will say though that the hair works is a huge hit. But it looks great without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPgTp2Lij9I

a lot of people are claiming that only the 900 series seems to run it well. I run it well with my 970, but people with a 780ti seem to struggle apparently. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I want to love it but I have no damn voices! Literally there are only subtitles. Voice sound doesn't play. And with r9 290 crossfire I get 40fps ultra. I thought u could max it with a single 980. And my cards are faster than one 980.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

I want to love it but I have no damn voices! Literally there are only subtitles. Voice sound doesn't play. And with r9 290 crossfire I get 40fps ultra. I thought u could max it with a single 980. And my cards are faster than one 980.

amd cards dont perform well with hairworks on