Witcher 3 first impressions: what do you think?

Adreyu

Great, thanks! I'm almost done, I think I'll go with those settings and lower shadows, with no AA. Let's see how it goes. :) Very excited to play the game, I hope I don't encounter any problem. I have slow internet, and I would hate it if they would require a 5 Gb patch download just like what rockstar did with GTA V. 

there was like a 1.5 gb patch

Ive seen my fps go above 60 with the cap set at 60 and vsync on. Weirddd. Great game and graphics. 970 on ultra everything, i had to bring 1 or 2 settings down to high to get 60 fps

Intel i5-4690K, Asus Z97-A, G.Skill Trident X 2400 Mhz

Asus GTX 970 Strix OC, Corsair RM 850, Corsair H105 AIO Water Cooler

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Case 

Ive seen my fps go above 60 with the cap set at 60 and vsync on. Weirddd. Great game and graphics. 970 on ultra everything, i had to bring 1 or 2 settings down to high to get 60 fps

i feel like foliage distance scaling doesnt need to be that high

Wow, that's really good to know! 

System:

Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz, MSI z97 PC Mate, Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming, 4x2 Kingston HyperX blu 1600Mhz, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, Corsair CX600M PSU, Corsair AF120 Performance edition 3x, Xigmatek Stock fans 3x, Xigmatek Mach PC Case, Asus VX239H 1080p IPS LED 23". 

there was like a 1.5 gb patch

damn,  that's gonna be a problem considering my sh*t internet connection. I hope their download server isn't as bad as rockstar's.

System:

Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz, MSI z97 PC Mate, Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming, 4x2 Kingston HyperX blu 1600Mhz, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, Corsair CX600M PSU, Corsair AF120 Performance edition 3x, Xigmatek Stock fans 3x, Xigmatek Mach PC Case, Asus VX239H 1080p IPS LED 23". 

Well I am not playing the game but as for watching this game live streamed it is an absolute bore.  Many of the streams look like crap and when I found a good one the guy was crafting and crafting and crafting more and so it was not very entertaining to watch.  I don't think this game will be lasting very long as a top game streamed on Twitch. I much prefer watching Josh from Fractal Design play GTA V.  The Witcher 3 definitely is a game I want to play but not something to watch that is for sure.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well I am not playing the game but as for watching this game live streamed it is an absolute bore.  Many of the streams look like crap and when I found a good one the guy was crafting and crafting and crafting more and so it was not very entertaining to watch.  I don't think this game will be lasting very long as a top game streamed on Twitch. I much prefer watching Josh from Fractal Design play GTA V.  The Witcher 3 definitely is a game I want to play but not something to watch that is for sure.

You remind me of southpark season 18's final episode. :)

System:

The trees look ugly is my first impressions.. I MEAN LOOK AT THIS. All maxed out too.d586157683.jpg

I noticed that too, bad first impression.

They look better later in the game for some reason...

and I noticed the hair is really well animated without hair works. Not all's perfect, but running it at 1080p with no AA and hariworks on ultra on 970, it's looks pretty good overall. I'm certainly enjoying it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@Syntaxvgm yeah I agree later it gets better but man.. my first thought was "these trees look ugly". I'm enjoying it also :D

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

@Syntaxvgm yeah I agree later it gets better but man.. my first thought was "these trees look ugly". I'm enjoying it also :D

Here's my impression of that- 

I think they tried to make it impressive by animating all of those trees at once, but didn't want the framerate to tank, I noticed my framerate there is higher for me on 1440p then it is int he forest. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I don't understand the reason for locking the movement keys.  Not everyone uses WASD and the only way to change it is to modify the input.settings config file manually.  No doubt some bright spark will create an interface that allows us to change it, but you have to wonder why they didn't include it themselves.

I don't understand the reason for locking the movement keys.  Not everyone uses WASD and the only way to change it is to modify the input.settings config file manually.  No doubt some bright spark will create an interface that allows us to change it, but you have to wonder why they didn't include it themselves.

really? They locked that? 

Wow

This is the kind of game I prefer on controller personally, but all PC games should have completely custom keyboard controls in the very least  

muh specs 

All parts black

Mfw 20 fps on max settings at 1440p with a 680

Seems to do so much better at 1080p for me, like bigger gap than most games. 

muh specs 

All parts black

im on a gtx970 and seeing 50-55fps @1080p with everything on ultra besides hair and foliage. but im maxed at 3505mb usage of vram

I like it, the story line is compelling and the combat is fun. im having a little trouble with the scenery though the wind blowing makes it look kind of warped.

What do you guys think?

How does it perform?? Please.. Please tell me!

I really want this gamE.

Will it friendly with my 780??

Seems to do so much better at 1080p for me, like bigger gap than most games.

Maybe, mine hit the 2gb vram ceiling immediately, going to upgrade soon. If I ain't playing it on max, I ain't playing it

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

For people wondering which settings to use, you may wanna take a look at this:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Nvidia measures how every individual setting influences frame rate (on Titan X but it should be a good indication for other cards as well) as well as have screenshots of all the settings so you can decide for yourself if lowering a setting is worth the loss in image quality.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

I haven't played much of the other Witchers but I'm running it fine with everything ultra except hairworks and getting 40-50fps.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I finally finished installing the stupid patches (I have awful internet so it took roughly 8 hours to download the last patch after preloading) and I've been enjoying my first 2.5 hours. My only real complaint is that Geralt seems to move really quick when I just want to move slightly forward. There's probably a walk button I'm not noticing. 

I am surprised that my 670 is doing so poorly though. In order to have the game run at a constant (well almost constant) 50-60fps at 1080p almost all of my settings need to be at low (I think textures are about the only thing I have at medium). My GPU is maxed out at 99% almost all the time. I know my card is getting old but I feel like it should still perform better than what it currently is. I'll have to tweak things more when I wake up and am not so tired.

There is an absolutely massive amount of threads on Steam about frame rates and set-ups to maximize it... I see a few patches coming up in the near future.

Not buying it yet, just started a run through of Witcher 2 ;D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

muh specs 

All parts black

Not buying it yet, just started a run through of Witcher 2 ;D

I just started this game, and I like it so much, I think I'm gonna wait to play it, I fell like I'm disrespecting it unless I play 1 and 2 first. So I might be going on a hell of a gaming binge soon. 

muh specs 

All parts black