Linksys WRT1900AC user review

Okay the all in one solution from our internet provider didn't hold up so well, it caused issues so many times in our home network that I almost wished they didn't include it in our cable subscription. So when I saw the video from LTT about the 1900AC I almost immediately decided to replace that crappy cable box.

Setup was really easy, ones you power it up for the first time and connect to it via any WiFi capable device you'll automatically get on to the setup page ones you open a browser. I wish more routers worked this way cause it's much more friendly to tech-unexperienced people compared to looking up the default gateway in the manual and then googling the default password.

to be clear I'm not someone who in-depht tests products such as this one, I don't do any sort of stress testing. just regular use what it's (supposed to be) made for. and for the most if the time it works really really good. though there are a few things I don't like. the DHCP server gives really difficult to remember IP addresses to devices compared to most routers which usually give an IP starting with 192.168.1.xxx

though this was solved by editing the DHCP range and giving my IP cameras and servers a static IP.

The overal range was good with me having enough speed to stream music on my phone in my home gym on the third floor with the router being on the first. I ended up using only the 2,4GHZ band cause the 5GHZ was giving me random disconnects on all my Apple devices for some unexplainable reason.

And then there was one last thing what surprised me about this router. the time it took for my phone to connect when I got home was really fast. what regularly took several minutes, now my phone is connected to the WiFi network before I'm able to unlock the front door. very impressive.

So conclusion time (that sentence was not inspired by Linus at all)

This thing is on the expensive side for a home router but is it worth it? well that depends on the one you have now. I had the poorest one you can find on the market and now having this upgrade I would easily spend another 300 dollars on a new one if this one got stolen or anything like that with no warranty or insurance covering it.

How is it in terms of stability? Every router I've owned (linksys 150n from back in the day, netgear 300n from samknows, dlink dir-655, asus rt-n53) or encountered except for my current one (airport extreme 5th gen) would basically reboot/reset itself every day. The airport extreme is the only router that has never experienced a second of downtime of its own fault. 

How is it in terms of stability? Every router I've owned (linksys 150n from back in the day, netgear 300n from samknows, dlink dir-655, asus rt-n53) or encountered except for my current one (airport extreme 5th gen) would basically reboot/reset itself every day. The airport extreme is the only router that has never experienced a second of downtime of its own fault. 

I've had mine a year now and am on stock firmware. I have 4 client bridges, 3 laptops, a Roku 3, and around 6 smartphones connected to it. Once, about 6 months ago, I had to reboot it because one of my devices wouldn't connect. That has been my only issue.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |