Vessel user - Seen this already <3

Wish I had USB3.1 on my motherboard though :/ Might buy an addon card.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

1:09 because fuck USB 3.1 powersupplies are better amirite
get your shit together edzel

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

I'm personally more excited about USB 3.1 than I am about the type-c connector as I don't want to have old, fully working peripheral rendered useless.

And I'm going to be unpopular here, but I don't think micro-USB is a bad connector, the problem it more that the cables included with phones and such are terrible. I bought some replacement micro-USB cables as I needed some longer cables and the ones that I found in Kjell &Co has been really awesome. No issues with them that were not ultimately caused by the human factor and that would have happened regardless of the connector

Vessel user - Seen this already <3

Wish I had USB3.1 on my motherboard though :/ Might buy an addon card.

is vessel accessible already on mobile?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

is vessel accessible already on mobile?

So it seems like iOS only. I'm waiting for an Android App

In addition to that, I still think Vessel needs to improve in a couple of areas 

At 2 minutes in the video Linus says:

USB 3.1 will allow some of the pins to be used for power with the usb power delivery V2.0 specification up to a hundred watts, allowing not just smartphone or tablet charging, but even laptop charging, and an alternate mode that will let the type c connector be used to carry alternate signals such as display port along with usb data. So that's cool, you could plug your monitor in with one cable, for display, power and the built in usb 3.1 hub.

But how would that work? GPUs don't have a usb port right? So it can't deliver power to a monitor. Do you have to connect the monitor to your motherboard instead? If so, you would be running of integrated graphics.

Also, are there any monitors with usb 3.1 ports?

Can a usb 3.1 connector deliver power to a usb 3.0 port? (I guess the usb 3.0 has to be type c then, since Linus said only type c could deliver the extra power and the 'other fancy signals'.)

It's time for us to 'C' this new standard and welcome it into our arms! 

I'll just show myself out.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Cant wait for this to appear on phones!

Also so I can replace my horrendous backup drives which are USB 3 B connections...

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

I think, expansive cables will make sense again ?

How does it achieve 100w ? does it supply 5 v doing so ? and that's wow 20 amps

Nice video!

I am looking foward to finally doing away with Micro USB Cables that are annoying to use! :)

Thanks!

Chris R.

Whats up with le random PSU...?

What le random PSU?

That looks like a Antec HCP

At 2 minutes in the video Linus says:

USB 3.1 will allow some of the pins to be used for power with the usb power delivery V2.0 specification up to a hundred watts, allowing not just smartphone or tablet charging, but even laptop charging, and an alternate mode that will let the type c connector be used to carry alternate signals such as display port along with usb data. So that's cool, you could plug your monitor in with one cable, for display, power and the built in usb 3.1 hub.

But how would that work? GPUs don't have a usb port right? So it can't deliver power to a monitor. Do you have to connect the monitor to your motherboard instead? If so, you would be running of integrated graphics.

Also, are there any monitors with usb 3.1 ports?

Can a usb 3.1 connector deliver power to a usb 3.0 port? (I guess the usb 3.0 has to be type c then, since Linus said only type c could deliver the extra power and the 'other fancy signals'.)

My guess with USB 3.1 on the ability for use as Display Port is the monitor must have the type C connector itself. You can daisy chain it with other monitors with type c connectors, or run directly off the type C connector from your system. There are monitors that runs off the USB port, but it's done through software within the OS and cannot be power up directly during boot.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

"forgotten to everyone but Samsung Note users" I think you mean the S5 my dude, my Note 4 is micro USB 2.0.

I have plenty of USB 3 ports. But I like the thought of the C version of the USB workings.

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Full Tower, 6 fans 120mm or larger throughout, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Version 1, AMD FX8350 Processor 4.2 GHz, 16GB Corsair and Crucial RAM,  EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Video Card, Asus Xonar Premium Sound Card, Corsair High End PC Speakers 2.1, 2x Blu Ray Burners, 16TB HDD & SSD drives including 2 NAS drives at 6TB, Ample USB 3 Ports, Keyboard: Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard, Wacom Intuos Large Graphics Board.. Now running Windows 10 Pro

Am I the only one that thinks the middle part of the USB type c port looks like it might break of easily? Thus rendering the whole port useless. Cables are easy to replace, ports not so much.

Am I the only one that thinks the middle part of the USB type c port looks like it might break of easily? Thus rendering the whole port useless. Cables are easy to replace, ports not so much.

I listened very carefully when he was talking particularly regarding breakage and he basically said that those would not break that easily as the cables are built better to manage that.

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Full Tower, 6 fans 120mm or larger throughout, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Version 1, AMD FX8350 Processor 4.2 GHz, 16GB Corsair and Crucial RAM,  EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Video Card, Asus Xonar Premium Sound Card, Corsair High End PC Speakers 2.1, 2x Blu Ray Burners, 16TB HDD & SSD drives including 2 NAS drives at 6TB, Ample USB 3 Ports, Keyboard: Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard, Wacom Intuos Large Graphics Board.. Now running Windows 10 Pro

I listened very carefully when he was talking particularly regarding breakage and he basically said that those would not break that easily as the cables are built better to manage that.

That part I missed. Will have to wait and see how much they can handle. I've broken a few USB ports in the past, but it's usually the cable / thumbdrive side that breaks of in the port

Maybe, but to me the C port does not look particularly strong

Well congrats you've actually made me register, while this video isn't the pinnacle of stupidity I've been seeing lately on many tech sites it's the one that finally made me snap.

So I'll just C&P from what I've already posted on YT.

Oh not this again, please stop rehashing this nonsense USB PD 2.0 will support power delivery with legacy ports, and legacy standards (there is a specific PD 2.0 specification for USB 2.0).USB PD 2.0 is independent of both the USB 3.1 and the USB-TypeC standards.Lenovo has already implemented USB PD 2.0 on a USB Type-A connector and a non-USB 3.1 port over a year ago.So for the love of it's tentacled glory reading the spec's won't kill you."The USB 2.0 PD Standard-B connector is defined to facilitate deliver of up to 100 Watts.  An ID pin supports PD identification.  Refer to Section 3.2.5 for mechanical details, pin assignments, and descriptions""The USB 3.1 PD Standard-B connector is defined to facilitate delivery of up to 100 Watts.  An ID pin supports PD identification.  Refer to Section 3.2.6 for mechanical details, pin assignments, and descriptions.""The USB 3.1 PD Standard-A connector is defined as a host connector.  It has the same mating interface as the USB 3.1 Standard-A connector, but with mechanical differences to provide a means of detecting insertion and PD support.  Refer to Section 3.2.4 for mechanical details, pin assignments, and descriptions."For Type-A there is a slight difference in the pin-out, this will be still a Type-A connector, it will accept any Type-A devices and cables, but will also support also PD 2.0.For Type-B connectors there is no need for modification, this is because the PD 2.0 standard based it's pin layout on USB+Power, USB+Power is a standard used mainly in the POS, embedded and military industries and supports 12, 24, and 48V over USB ports, it uses a different connector typeset with one exception the Type-B connector (which was developed alongside USB+Power).http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/ http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_31_052215.ziphttp://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb20_docs/usb_20_052215.zipEdit, the Irony is that the Z97-A doesn't implement PD over it's USB 3.1 port and it's mighty Type-C connector and how can it? I can't honestly believe some one expected that without doing a major changes to the ATX standard because well 20amp's on an inner board interconnect on the 5V rail how is that going to work exactly, considering that even top of the high end (700-1200W) PSU's only provide 20-30A in total on their 5V rails. If anything I would suspect that they'll try to hack it with some expansion cards yanking a PCIe PSU connector since the 12V rail is the only rail on any PSU on the market which can some how handle that load.Also who the hell would want USB PD on their motherboard, wasting 100W of potential output to charge a laptop? Just plug it into a wall...