If money isn't a factor what headphones?

Guest Console Peasant
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

honestly I don't see the point of ultra expensive on-ear headphones. 

by the time you drop 2k on the cans and another 1k on the amp aren't you just better off with a proper 5.1/7.1 or even a stereo system?

high-end IEMs on the other hand...

Probably not, although I would question the logic that ultra expensive anything has a point.

Are people stupid or something read what the OP said: on ear.

Beyerdynamic T50P, sennheiser amperior are good on ears closed

I like the sound of grado RS1 too

Gotta find a balance somehow, right now im using in ears though

Well this is just my experience but I find in ears do a better job, the higher end ones are nice and sound great nowadays.

I've never been a fan of on-ears they're not very comfortable for me.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If you're outdoors? In a library?

If money is no object he would be inside a big house with no noise restrictions.

And who goes to libraries any more? lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

both over ear..

oh, why on ear.... sooo uncomfortable

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Well this is just my experience but I find in ears do a better job, the higher end ones are nice and sound great nowadays.

I've never been a fan of on-ears they're not very comfortable for me.

I would get on ears if they had good sound but apples design of on ear earbuds

If money is no object he would be inside a big house with no noise restrictions.

And who goes to libraries any more? lol

we can all think hypothetically theres no reason to make it reality.

It's just a question

Are people stupid or something read what the OP said: on ear.

Beyerdynamic T50P, sennheiser amperior are good on ears closed

I like the sound of grado RS1 too

Finally thank you, having a look at all three.

For On ear headphones

y on ear y 

Do you want open back or closed back headphones?

Actually, off the top of my head, I can't think of an open, on-ear headphone.

whatever those super expensive sennheiser ones are. 

but realistically I'd get HD650s

HD800s are over-ear.

HD800's if money is no object lol

HD800s are over ear, and are you sure you'd like them? More to headphones than just price tag.

If money was no object...pure 24k gold beats to piss people off......

WIth the Apple iWatch and people with 24k gold iWatch, people like to say that their douchebag detectors are going off, lol. Reminds me of dat.

Money is no object? Abyss AB-1266. Good Luck.

I think they were just OK. They also manage to make me look more dorky than HD800s or Audezes on.

Really not that great, they have some total harmonic distortion, and apparently not the best driver control due to single-sided magnets.

If money was no option, I'd own a pair of LCD-3's and HD-800's.

Have owned LCD-2's and HD800 in the past, unfortunately didn't have the money to keep them around.

Work in them jobs!

???

Define on-ear.

pls Google, it's kind of obvious.

we can all think hypothetically theres no reason to make it reality.

It's just a question

ya but y u gotta do on ear meng y

y u do dis 

If money no object, I'd buy a stripper and get entertained that way. Hue.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Actually, off the top of my head, I can't think of an open, on-ear headphone.

I think Grado makes a pair or two. 

@OP, If I were you, and money was no object, I would just get a pair of CIEM's (Custom In-Ear Monitors). They go up to about $2600 that I'm aware of, but generally high end is between $1000 and $2000. Customs give you a perfect fit that's matched to our ear canal, so comfort isn't an issue. It's the same kind of thing that professional musicians use. Also, if you wanted to share sound with friends, you could get a pair of Shure SE846 (or something like those) and get a pair of Sensaphonics sleeves, so that you could have the comfort of customs, but still be able to switch the sleeves out for a pair of tips, to share with your friends. Let us know if something like that interests you, so we can give you some good suggestions! (Oh, it also might help us if you let us know what types of music you listen to and what kind of sound you like in a pair of headphones, as they are a very personal item!)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I'd buy the 'lol who the fck uses on ear' headphones.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

@OP, If I were you, and money was no object, I would just get a pair of CIEM's (Custom In-Ear Monitors). They go up to about $2600 that I'm aware of, but generally high end is between $1000 and $2000. Customs give you a perfect fit that's matched to our ear canal, so comfort isn't an issue. It's the same kind of thing that professional musicians use. Also, if you wanted to share sound with friends, you could get a pair of Shure SE846 (or something like those) and get a pair of Sensaphonics sleeves, so that you could have the comfort of customs, but still be able to switch the sleeves out for a pair of tips, to share with your friends. Let us know if something like that interests you, so we can give you some good suggestions! (Oh, it also might help us if you let us know what types of music you listen to and what kind of sound you like in a pair of headphones, as they are a very personal item!)

I forgot about Grados.

It looks like their most-expensive model has an insane amount of treble.  :unsure:

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I don't like on-ears and I'm not sure much of the high end market does either, with the possible exception of top shelf Grado.

That said, great sound quality from a pair of on-ears doesn't have to be expensive.  Even in open backed over-the-ear headphones you have a point of diminishing returns, as far as your price/sound ratio might be concerned.

I'd buy another pair of Yamaha RH5MA, if that was the market I was shopping (yes, even if "money isn't a factor"):  http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RH5MA-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000YIF4I6

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I forgot about Grados.

It looks like their most-expensive model has an insane amount of treble.  :unsure:

I had the opportunity to listen to a $1000 pair recently, and they were actually the most "musical" pair of headphones I think I've ever heard. They sounded really, really good. Plus, they weigh NOTHING!!! like, actually. They were a pair of wood ones, but I could barely tell when I was holding them. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I had the opportunity to listen to a $1000 pair recently, and they were actually the most "musical" pair of headphones I think I've ever heard. They sounded really, really good. Plus, they weigh NOTHING!!! like, actually. They were a pair of wood ones, but I could barely tell when I was holding them.

I should've tried acdc with that ps1000e

or i could get some on ear heaphones like I posted. I know about high end stuff in speakers/over ear/iem's... I wanna learn about on ears

I should've tried acdc with that ps1000e

I think it would have been so good we all would have had heart attacks.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I think it would have been so good we all would have had heart attacks.

Nah, you should've tried that SE846 and play bass heavy music. Ortho's bass in an IEM! :ph34r:  

Nah, you should've tried that SE846 and play bass heavy music. Ortho's bass in an IEM! :ph34r:  

I mean, or I could just get those Adele's that we heard... I think I would like those better, since they just seem to have more of everything. I was really surprised though, because they were really very comparable to the LCD 3, which is very impressive despite the fact that they have the same price tag.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I mean, or I could just get those Adele's that we heard... I think I would like those better, since they just seem to have more of everything. I was really surprised though, because they were really very comparable to the LCD 3, which is very impressive despite the fact that they have the same price tag.

Smoothest headphone/iem I've ever heard really. I could just play amber rubarth close my eyes and enjoy the day

Smoothest headphone/iem I've ever heard really. I could just play amber rubarth close my eyes and enjoy the day

exactly.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Aside from grado no one makes really high end on ear headphones beyerdynamic dt1350 are amazing and the sennheiser hd25 aluminum as well

Aside from grado no one makes really high end on ear headphones beyerdynamic dt1350 are amazing and the sennheiser hd25 aluminum as well

those BD's look nice

Audio Technica ATH M50X

Didn't even read post..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2